The Grand Cafe

Updated my “Naim gear” spreadsheet yesterday after watching some local auctions of gear. It’s a bit scary how the spend adds up, over 10 years in my case, and the loss made on selling older gear as one upgrades. I actually came away from the process quite frustrated, although I have lovely gear. I guess it’s a case of seeing the value over the cost, assuming it’s affordable within the overall vortex of balance in life :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You’re braver than me I’ve never wanted to consider the financial outlay especially now. The only thing I know that my last 3 major upgrades have cost around $40k.

NDX2/525/Fraim $25k, Core $5k and speakers $10k. That’s only the last 3 years.

I forgot my DAC-V1 $2k.

It’s scary. That’s more than I spent on my Suzuki Jimny. :grin:

3 Likes

That seems cheap if new, it includes the 252 and SC :flushed:

@Pete_the_painter

It’s definitely so scary for sure

I reckon over the last 20 years I would be in the $200k + mark

Not so bad when you take out 2 turntables totalling say $100k which includes power supplies , phonos etc

Oh well but what enjoyment

Better than cars I reckon

3 Likes

There were trade ins that were worth something those days.

1 Like

I’d be scared to go back that far. I can’t even remember what my first outlay was. I do know it took me just over a year to payback.

1 Like

Also it looks cheap cause you’ve been buying 500 series. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve kept most of my invoices but not really game to add them up :crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

Yep most of the 500 series was Harry’s ex demos from memory so that helped

1 Like

I’ve not only hidden them from me but also the other half. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Buggered if I know what I’ll do if I eventually live in one place :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

You’ve got spare rooms.

Send your best LP12 back home :sunglasses:

Ha ha I was thinking I should flog one to you Mike :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

The way I look at it is how much it costs per day of ownership, and compare that with the cost of, for instance, going to the pub every day or week or whatever, or the cost of wine, cigarettes (back in the day) or any other luxury or non-necessity. Not that I would be heretic enough to suggest that decent hifi is not a necessity.

2 Likes

Well, that’s only good survival technique.

1 Like

That’s really the way that I look at these things as well Bc. When I consider what my friends and most Canadians spend on sparklies and whatsits, and even just their Tim Horton’s coffee spends each month, and motorbikes then a $2k exhaust for said bikes, and a coupla $100 lunches out each week. It ends up being $10-15k a year.
So, when I spend some cash on preowned Naim kit or add to my wine collection, I still feel quite frugal.
I have mabe $20k into Naim kit which will be $30k in about 4 years, and $5-6k in wine, but that’s only 2-3 years of overspending on the other stuff that has no value other than the brief consumption at the time.
I think that probably sounds a bit judgemental, but I’m just being cheap or frugal. I really try not to judge.

2 Likes

Out for a couple of days on Steinlarger 2, the Whitbread round the world yacht. 17 girls all up with the learning support girls.

18 Likes

Having a nice night out with Mrs Pete before starting chemo tomorrow and Friday. I’m a little more anxious than the first for some reason.

12 Likes

My brother sailed (crewed) in that race …46 years ago!

4 Likes