The Grand Cafe

In the UK they normally explode in a warm airing cupboard.
I guess you don’t have the problem of finding somewhere warm for them to ferment. :grinning:

2 Likes

Not yet, we are heading away for few days from Sunday, so might set it up before we go. The fermenter has a air lock, so should be safe enough. I’m quite excited really. The plan for next summer is fishing, home brew and vegetables from the garden.

3 Likes

Yes, the temperature is a bit of an unknown. The recommended range is 18 - 22 but 16 - 24 is okay. I’ve a workshop behind the garage that I’ll use, it won’t get hot, but our nights are around 12, so I should probably check the temperature there in the morning. Our lounge is getting down to about 17/18 in the mornings if we don’t have the heat pump on.

2 Likes

That sound like a plan I could get on board with.

3 Likes

That’s pretty much how I was dressed last week :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Did @AndyP approve that attire ? :joy:

2 Likes

When we were kids our next door neighbour little Tom Miller ( his wife was 5 times bigger than him) had a small shed where he made his home brew

Bottles use to explode on a regular basis - it was horrible stuff

1 Like

I don’t know anyone who’s brewed their own beer hadn’t had a case or 2 go off.

1 Like

Dad, 1963-64 Oman, Dhofar War . By 1967 he was in Malta and he wore shorts, the teachers at my school wore shorts (those in Royal Naval uniform) and I was in shorts until my 14th birthday during the summer months

3 Likes

Raises hand…

My secondary school teachers

4 Likes

My primary school headmaster

3 Likes

Not a carpet in sight😉

1 Like

Nice, may I ask what kind of kit and what type of beer you’re brewing?

I wouldn’t worry about safety. I’m doing the same, brewing and then going on holiday.

My only worry in your case would be the airlock falling dry because of evaporation. If you think it might be an issue, you could put some foil over the top with a rubber band around it or make a blow-off instead.

Just don’t make the mistake I usually make, and plan ahead for when you’ll want to drink it. Don’t think of making it when it’s the time for it.

Only way that happens is either using damaged bottles, or bottling before fermentation has finished. Either way perfectly avoidable with a little care (and measuring equipment).

1 Like

Apart from feeling rough the first 7-10 days after chemo this month seems a lot more manageable this month. They changed my meds which obviously has had a positive effect. Still feel a little odd but guess that’s expected.

Next month is a challenge, a chemo session at the beginning on the month stem cell harvesting 2 weeks in and another chemo session at the end of the month. Doubt ill as cocky then.

9 Likes

Small world, isn’t it? I didn’t know my headmaster had emigrated to Aus after I left…

2 Likes

Think they were stamped out in a factory that made ass holes and they shipped them all over the place. :grin:

2 Likes

A tad unusual, but nice legs tho …

2 Likes

I’ve made gallons of homebrew over the years. It’s fun and can be quite good. I got tired of the malt syrop kits after a while and my buddy and I found a homebrew shop that had all the proper equipment: Grinders, lauter tuns, mash cookers, heat exchangers etc.

We’d go in on a Saturday and hand grind 50 lbs of malted barley grain, cook it, test for starch conversion, add the hops, then add the finishing hops just before draining off the brew. I was putting it right into kegs at the time.

It was quite a process at that point, but it was also fun when I did it at home and the house smelled of the malt cooking, and the windows would steam up. Drove my kids crazy, they didn’t like the smell.
Best of luck with it Mike, just don’t overdo the bit of yeast in each bottle for the effervesance.
Cheers.

3 Likes

I’m starting with the basic Brick Road IPA, as it’s my first brew.

You can add extra mixes to these for more exotic brews, but this is a syrup mix. You add a bag of dextrose sugar and 2 litres of boiling water, mix it up, add cold water (I went to 20 litres for a stronger brew), add the yeast and wait 10 days before bottling. Here it is, happy at 24 degrees:

I have a bag of carbonation drops that you add to the bottles.

It’s great value, the starter kit was $145 to make 20l, which is about the same price to buy the beer on special. Next time, a 20l brew would cost about $40 for a standard one.

2 Likes