The Grand Cafe

Measuring equipment n-lot !!!

No such thing in those days , just throw some ingredients in and hope for the best

It was sh**t I can still taste it today :-1:t2::-1:t2:

1 Like

Stop being an negative Nelly, you’re a Kiwi for heavens sake :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ha ha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Just remember it was brewed in the backyard in Ashburton - South Island mate

Bound to taste crap - didn’t get a chance :grinning:

2 Likes

IPAs are quite popular avoid the XPAs. Be interested to see how you go, with the price a sconner now $12 plus these days it might be an option.

2 Likes

I used to brew a kit made by the brewer Arkells called GWR or Great Western Railway. It was a lovely ESB brew, they then stopped making it and i could not find anything else i liked. I used to use a pressure vessel with CO2 cylinder, worked really well.

2 Likes

I’ve a friend who once studied theology. His hobby was brewing beer. He wanted to become monk in some beer brewing monastry.

He was seduced and trapped by a female and he went the way of the flesh and is still happily married.

We’re still friends but we wonder where it went wrong.

5 Likes

I think home brewing could be a bit of a Naim-like rabbit hole, if one is not too disciplined :smile::smile::smile:

4 Likes

My advise would be to not necessarily go with a fixed amount of days. The yeast determines when it’s ready, not the writer of the manual :wink:

You can get a cheap hydrometer or refractometer (less beer wasted :wink: ), and if the final gravity hasn’t changed for 3-4 days it’s ready.

If you start doing it more often, one thing that will really improve your beers is temperature controlled fermentation. Take an old fridge, an heat source, and something like an inkbird ITC-308.

2 Likes

Maybe we should start a brew thread?

The 10 days was an approximation, it’s either the SG test, or 3 days after the air valve stops bubbling according to the instructions. Yes, my mate uses the old fridge and heated blanket thing. A stainless steel tank thing looks nice….

I think I have some old battery ones my step-dad had. Must have a rummage.

2 Likes

Great idea Mike.
Why not start one and ask @Richard.Dane to move the posts from 2 hours ago to here if tgere aren’t too many. Just call home brewing, to allow things other than beer.

1 Like

I believe there was one sometime ago.

1 Like

There’s always something brewing at my place but I wouldn’t want to post it. :grin:

3 Likes

This one can be risky. If there’s anything wrong with your yeast, or you’ve caught an infection, it could still ferment but very slowly. But it will be okay 99% of the time, so no huge worry.

Hydrometers are simple floating devices, if you’re step dads device takes batteries, it’s something else.
Hydrometer:

Refractometer:

Another advantage of these is that you’ll be able to calculate the ABV of your beer :slight_smile:

No, they are ones for testing car batteries, so your first example.

1 Like

That happened to me once …

3 Likes

As if Australia doesn’t have enough poisonous/venomous creatures, they have now found a new one on Kangaroo Island.

I’m simply going to replace the stylus, they seem to be available for reasonable prices.

Ultimately, I’m going to fit these boards again for a mc cartridge:

I think they were serviced along with the rest of the nac 72.

1 Like

Hey Mike what gear have you got the Naim power line with ?

Quite a number I think ?

Thanks

Yes, Hello there.

On my main system, I have them on each power supply (552PS,300PS,555PS) and the Core. I have non-Naim fancy power cables on the Heed PS, Farad PS and the Bluray player. The LP12 has the stock lead.

I also have one on my Nova.