The Listening Room Reality

I use 4 of the Vicoustic Wave Wood panels behind my couch. They made a significant difference in sound, removing (absorbing) superfluous reflections. An effective and inexpensive solution.

1 Like

Think I’m getting there. Just checking (with the people with more knowledge), is this a good reading? I’m getting lost with all the YouTube vids!

@IvdZ i believe I read it somewhere but I can’t find it anymore. Which company did you use for the measurements and advice? I’m located in the south of the Netherlands so am considering to use the same expert.

Hi @Hifi_Naim_CNNL it is Frank Vermeulen from VerfyFineSolutions in Antwerp. You’ll find his credentials on the web. He is also distributing ArtNovion (acoustics), Russel K, Thrax (stunning !!) and MSB (even more stunning)

1 Like

What material did you use as absorption and in what thickness?

Best to read this

Behind the WoodUpp’s there is generic isolation foam tweaked for acoustics. I also use ARtNovion BassTraps

1 Like

In the attached pics you can see my situation.

The wall behind the speakers I have 21cm that I can play with to make it in line with the wall to the right of it. So I was thinking to put to put 15cm of acoustic material (80kg/m3) and an air gap of 4-5cm in the parts I marked as 1 and 3. Perhaps some thinner, lower density acoustic material in the part behind the TV. Cover the frame with either acoustic fabric printed in the same color as the wall or with the wooden slats panels (wooden panels look rather busy in my space I think).
Acoustic material something like this?? 6 cm dik geperst vlokkenschuim polypress 80 - Geluidsisolatie kopen in geluidsisolatiewinkel akoestiek galm geluidsisolatieplaten

Then the wall left of the speakers I will hang a 5cm thick panel with photoprint of 180cm tall by 140cm wide.

Perhaps I will put a diffuser in the window behind the sweet spot which I will only place there during serious listening sessions.

I made this plan based on some learnings I took from looking at different projects online. It would be good to get some input on this from people with more experience in room treatment.

3 Likes

GIK acoustics offer free advice, might be worth a call.

Would be interesting to know exactly what you are trying to improve. I don’t like too much treatment on the front wall as it can kill the dynamics a little in my room. Corner treatment for bass and side reflection or diffusion can be effective.
Some treatment behind the listening position is also good if you are close to the back wall
I’m sure you have an idea what improvement you are looking for but sharing your thoughts would help with feedback.

Try to move your listing position away for the back wall and have a listen… it will help you find different bass mode and balance of mid/ bass.

Listening position too close to the wall is not best. It is easy to try and free

You have got a nice room !

Happy listening

1 Like

To be honest I am not 100% sure what I’m after. I guess due to the many reflection points I would like the room to become slightly less lively with a lower reverberation time. Basically treat the room to get more out of my system but definitely don’t want it too sound lifeless as I got quite accustomed to a energetic sound.

The very low bass can create a muddy rumbling effect sometimes which I would like to get slightly tighter.
Previously I had the sofa further forward but then I was located in the null zone hence I move the couch nearer to the wall. Since I need to keep space to go to the room adjacent to to living I can’t move the sofa forward unless I put I so far forward that I use the path behind it to go to the other room (see photo). That’s not an option due to the null bass zone.

The wall next to the left speaker could do with diffusion or absorption to make the wall “disappear” more.

2 Likes

Yes, the left wall is one of the areas that you can put some treatments. I used Vicoustic and love it.

Since then I have changed the speakers but room treatment is still unchanged.

10 Likes

Can I ask, why diffusion on the front wall. I thought diffusion mainly worked on treble frequencies and they are too directional to affect the front wall?

Which panels do you have on the wall? Which model is it from Vicoustics?

Hi Ryder, treating the front wall is to negate the effect of diffraction= high frequencies’ abilty to go back on themselves and move around objects between source and ears (very frequency dependent). Well, goggle is your friend and try and look it up :+1:t3:
When you look at System Pics most people have their speakers too close to the front wall, or put furniture or racks between their speakers due to most often domestic restraints. Unless designed to be a boundary reinforced speaker design ideally speakers should be about 3 feet off the front wall at least, but then who can accommodate that in a domestic environment particularly with a partner, who’s not really interested :face_with_head_bandage:
I found treating my back wall quite heavily rendered my glassy front wall fairly unintrusive bear in mind my front baffles sit 160 centrimetres from the front wall, so effectively high frequencies with their short wavelength have a long way to travel to become a ‘disturbance’ as such forming a second reflection to reach your ears ( if that makes sense).
Interestingly regarding the back wall distance to your ears is also favoured by the same rule (distance) in this case to reduce low frequency pressurisation.
As for set up rule of thumb for 1st side wall reflection, our wonderful brains seem to cope/deal with reflections more favourably, if these are more than a 1.5 metres longer than the measured direct sound from the tweeter to your ears measured as a straight line.
……I had promised myself not to get drawn into this again, doh! :nerd_face::rofl:
ATB Peter

4 Likes

Vicoustics Cinema Round and you can spec them in lots of different colours to suit . I think you can only buy them in packs of 8 but great product and I personally used them both for 1st reflections and to kerb general upper mids/ high frequency reverb. ATB Peter
Sorry to JTheKop for taking the words right of his mouth :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I thought so too but there seems to be some pattern in the covering which is why I wasn’t sure.

Looks a nice thought out set up, with consideration for low Fraim stacks to not interfere with tweeters/mid drivers in the horisontal plane :+1:t3: Enjoy Peter

1 Like

I was fortunate that my dealer had Vicoustic panels for demo. So I did try a few combinations of cinema rounds and so on. In my room, these combinations work out best for acoustic and looks.

I found that acoustic calculating and theory only work as a guideline for starting. It may look good on graph. But you may not like it. Home demo is better

I think there are lots a “products” in packs of one sitting around already available that help with certain frequencies. Trouble is that there is a hard constraint whereby they are concentrated at the listening position :rofl: