The Listening Room Reality

I currently have two EQ acoustic 50mm absorbers on the side walls. Made much bigger impact to the room acoustics than I could imagine. More relaxed sound. So I’m thinking of getting two more. Where is it most likely to have best effect. One behind each speaker or two behind my listening position?

Your own foibles is your arrogance.

Before

Now

Just added a set of :

4 x GIK Monster Bass Traps with FlexRange Technology
(added membrane, for lower end maximum efficiency)

The bass traps are ~6 inch thick + 1 inch air gap behind them (for increased efficiency).

They are installed in a white glossy frame that matches the Vicoustic Multifuser Wood 64 diffusers.

The result in terms of sound is brilliant.

I tested the low end with those 2 albums.
I usually don’t listen much to that kind of music. But with those added basstraps the low end is even more enjoyable. I understand why people enjoys that kind “boomy” music. A nice low end can be addictive

Capture

Albums such as this one, which I like a lot, have an even cleaner low end. Percussions are precise and attacks sharper.
Capture

Removing the foam absorbers and replacing them with those bass traps, certainly provided a more even decay time through the whole frequency range.

I have to measure that with REW as soon as I have some spare time to play with the calibrated microphone and computer.

The result is not only a cleaner low end, but also more precise mids and highs.

The NAP 500 DR with the Magico S3 MkII really is an amazing match, IMO!

6 Likes

Really beautiful setup

2 Likes

I agree. Great setup. Inspirational!

oh well… some free time at home …

Many moons ago i had got these ceiling treatment but i hesitated to use it since it was grayish in color

with the slowdown at work and with some time at home and with a bit of help from nimble fingers i stuck these to the ceiling…

Got the “looks” from folks at home but soldiered on nevertheless :grinning:

and am playing Steve Rothery - Ghosts of Pripryat - same music i left off last night…

next up is Led Zep - Stairway included…

when in a mood to “listen” i sit under the pointy cone of the imaginary triangle as you see in this pic of the ceiling

will let you know how it goes…
ceiling

I hope the tiger cub is tame.
:wink:

depends on the way the climate thread is blowing - if it gets warmer - the tigers tail twitches :grinning:

2 Likes

I started another thread on this recently but my (very limited) experience of ‘room treatment’ has shown the benefits. I have used REW software (frequency sweeps etc.) and helpful advice from Luca at GIK to make worthwhile, albeit temporary, improvements. Luca suggested areas to look for, particularly excess bass in room corners while running the low frequency pink noise, that showed me where problems lay. A temporary fix/trial has been two large duvets rolled into the room corners near the speakers and the difference is quite significant - I need to decide which type of panel/bass trap to go for to replace these ASAP so that marital bliss returns…

Seriously though, the tweaks I have made to speaker positioning, cable ‘dressing’ and now this have made a big difference overall in terms of clarity, refinement, soundstaging, tone and ‘punch/drive’ in the bass in particular. My system is nowhere near the cost of most on here but, despite this, care taken over room interactions and set-up have revealed the potential of the components. It does make me wonder how much of the actual potential of a component/system does the average owner actually experience? For me I am finally getting the best from my Tannoys after 15+ years of ownership!

Room treatment makes indeed a massive and measurable difference.

1 Like

GIK’s Monster Bass Traps with Range Limiter for the front wall (behind the speakers)

GIK’s Monster Bass Traps full Range for the Back Wall and first reflexion points.

GIK’s TriTraps for your front and back corners (floor to ceiling)

As for practical and theoretical information, I posted a few links to videos and readings that might be of some help. Just browse the thread.

The following videos are a great start (no science background needed)
–> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC57auUfJlTvIvW79pom_i1g

Lucas from GIK Acoustics is a nice guy, he certainly will help you.

If money is a concern, you can build your own bass traps for a fraction of those sold on the market. Same material, same or better results. I posted a small video related to that.

We all have different rooms, furnitures, speakers, and tastes in musical reproduction. All that have interactions.
I tried a lot of different panels, bass traps, and on several walls positions.
Globally I am satisfied with the sound of my system today, with a minimum of acoustic treatment.
Perhaps with other speakers or different room, I would have to treat more the room, but not fortunately in my case.

I wanted to try some panels and bass traps to see if the sound could still be improved.
First GIK corner bass traps. On maybe six different positions in the room and finally the best positions on walls for my ears. On first listenings, the first day, I thought it was better . On some particular albums the bass was better controlled ( maybe 5 or 6 albums). The sound was more impressive too. But quickly I realized that something didn’t work as before. I was less involved. The sound was too much upfront and less airy.

I returned the GIK trip traps. Great communication with GIK.
I ordered then Monster bass traps.
I tested 2 behind my sofa, then behind the speakers, on different height level, then on each corners.
It was better for some albums, but globally I was also less involved in the music. The sound was a bit upfront, or a bit congested, and less airy, with less extensions of the notes.
I heard many hours during 5 days, and lot of different positions too.
Even behind my head it didn’t worked for me. I heard some congestion in the sound. I am listening sitting vertically, not lying in the sofa.

All that was an interesting experience. But tiring. I am returning the monster bass traps too. But don’t regret the experience.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I have noted the products you have recommended Thomas.

Ref different rooms, tastes and hearing I think that is a valid point. It is probably dependent on speakers as well. The Tannoys I have produce quite a lot of low frequency energy. The little Piegas I ‘borrowed’ from the bedroom system did not exhibit the bass problems but nor did they have the scale or body necessary to drive our larger lounge. I also ran the REW software on my office system with Misson 731is placed on, and isolated from, the desk - they produced quite significant output from 48hz upwards which really surprised me as they are rated 75hz - 20khz +/- 2db and -6bd at 57hz. Perhaps I have a good pair?

1 Like

Hi frenchrooster,

Could you share please which model of Finite elemente cerabases you have? There are 4 types currently. Could you provide a picture as well?

BR,
Ivo

Hi Ivo,

My model is the cerabase compact. It gave me the best results in acoustic treatment in my room. My floor is suspended wood.

image image

Thank you!

1 Like

About bass traps and low frequency problems:

Not really educational, just an interesting experience.

–> https://youtu.be/J3-psVQLJEc

“John Atkinson on why measurements matter”

About why speakers measurement actually matter. Measurements seen as diagnostics.

Not obvious to everyone, there are some measurements iconoclasts…

John Atkinson is a journalist from Stereophile (which I don’t read).

A bit of topic, but a rather interesting interview.

—> https://youtu.be/QWU2sUnW-eM

1 Like

Just a bit of an update on my ‘quest’ for room treatment. I bought 2 x 300x1,200 mm 244 bass traps for the front room corners and 2 x 600x600 mm 244 bass traps for behind the speakers. I have had a chance to listen a bit and my thoughts are:

• I can definitely hear more details that I have not heard before on familiar tracks.
  • Greater separation between instruments/musical strands, both in the music and within the soundstage.
  • Better soundstaging - lead vocalist positioned dead centre and instruments/backing vocalists now more clearly laid out. Soundstage also seems to extend beyond the speakers horizontally - speakers themselves largely disappear. The amp is an Arcam and reviews suggest that the size of sound stage is an Arcam strong point.
  • Sound seems to be more directional, i.e. from the speaker end of the room rather than anywhere else.
  • I now seem to be able to tell if a vocalist was singing directly into the Mic or had turned away for a bit then back again - this was apparent occasionally whilst listening to a Lana Del Ray album.
  • Bass is definitely more punchy and with better resolution of bass notes/textures.
    The only downside I have experienced so far is that, despite the improvements, sometimes the sound seems less ‘live’. Whether this is just me or a possible consequence of room treatment I am not sure. I will experiment with positioning further before I fix the panels in place.

Regards

Alex

2 Likes