The Listening Room Reality

Indeed! :grinning: … but I wasn’t totally sure so thanks for the confirmation!

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before but I placed my phone on the floor under one of her other paintings and yes, high frequencies are not getting through.

So this would still work with mid-range, reducing echo/reverb in the room?

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark, assuming that the paint will seal the canvas it will not reduce reverb either. ATB Peter

Ok, thanks Peter.

Sounds like it wouldn’t be of any benefit then.
It’ll just be nice to have the pictures up there … going to cost me in the amount of paint she’ll need :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like

Unless the paint is really think making them almost inflexible, they will still act as a lightly damped diaphragms; and so, unless the frame is well away from the wall, they will still transmit some of the pressure variation to the foam and will also themselves absorb some energy. Most of this will be in midrange frequencies. They won’t be high efficiency absorbers, but I don’t think Mark is expecting much in the way of efficiency.

Hi Xanthe, of course no tinkering should be disregarded, something a few of us are chronic victims of myself included :wink: Best Peter

Hi Xanthe, that’s interesting thanks. The paint isn’t really thick at all, so I’ll just give it a go :slightly_smiling_face:
As you say, I’m not expecting too much out of them, seemed like a good opportunity when I saw all the space behind the canvas :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll try the towels as they can probably just be stapled directly to the canvas frame.

I may try a couple on the wall directly behind the speakers as well, surprisingly my wife didn’t object too much when I held one up to show her :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like

Here you go Mark and guilty as charged :grinning: Best Peter

Maybe I should add that the 50mm foam panel from advanacoustics the painting is literally resting on covers first reflections from left and right channel.

1 Like

:grinning: Always nice to see your room Peter, the treatment you’ve done looks great, very stylish, not obtrusive and not at all like a recording studio … must be a very relaxing place to be.

I like the panels to the right of your system in that picture… they would look nice behind my speakers but probably not the right kind to put there.

Cheers,
Mark

Ps that picture’s great :grinning:

1 Like

John Darko had his listening room ‘done’ in a day:

(I got the impression at the end that it hadn’t worked that well…?)

This is a follow up video where he mentions that the project is not finished and that some bass traps were not installed in one corner:

Fitting in that this thread began with a Darko video.

Well JD, it took me 18 months to do mine. The last uplift in room response was when the listening sofa went and was replaced by an ‘acoustically invisible’ comfy listening chair. This allowed me to put 2 monster bass traps on the wall behind the listening position, yep funny old……:crazy_face:. ATB Peter

1 Like

I like those wood multifusers, they look like a piece of wall art. Not sure I’d want that weight hanging off my ceiling though, would probably bring it down :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Just looked to see what they weigh and discovered the white ones on the ceiling are polystyrene! but … £350 for 60x60? Yikes!

Seen it. Listened to it. It’s worthwhile to take the effort. My five cents: the guy is absolutely right and knows what he is talking about. Take it into consideration before you throw a lot of money to a new set of speakers!

3 Likes

Hi Mark. I’ve used a canvas panel and had a photo printed on it and inserted acoustic foam in the recess. This was to get a combination of a picture on a black wall and a little unscientific and low cost diffusion and absorption behind the listening spot. I’m happy enough with the result.

I’ve also use some white ones with acoustic foam inserts place in front of larger acoustic pads behind the speakers to absorb some low frequency reflection behind the speakers:

2 Likes

My listening room reality. Some hidden room treatment, but mostly just a room working sound wise quite well.
So, if you are lucky with room dimensions and layout a heavy treatment is not always necessary.
Although I’m a little worried, if the upcoming S1-Pre will demand some more room treatment…Will see.

5 Likes

Hi Mike, yes good to be able to take advantage of any space we can find!
So limited on what I can do here, I may be able to do something behind the speakers but unfortunately not bass traps like yours. The white wooden vicoustic multifusers would look nice but I wonder if they’d actually do anything there. The price for the wooden ones seems reasonable (gulp!) given the cost of wood these days and the finishing etc … but not if they do nothing worthwhile there :slightly_smiling_face: Thoughts anyone?!

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark, in case a 60x120 panel is doable one behind each speaker for you space wise, and you have an excessive bass issue as most people have, I would suggest GIK range limited absorbers ( ie an inbuilt diaphragm, hence called a diaphragmatic absorber or pressure activated absorber, using 2 myself) specifically tuned and peaking at 100 Hz with an immediate drop beyond that frequency. They are not terribly expensive at all and discreet colours are available. Also thank you for your kind words above :+1:t3: ATB Peter

I just used canvas panels from an art shop and foam from a rubber shop. All up, it was a few hundred dollars.

The room in our holiday house sounds much better than our squarish room at home. So it looks like the comment about geometry bring the biggest bang for the buck is right on the money.

1 Like

Mark I think there is a lot to commend the DIY approach because it can be well tailored to your particular circumstances. You’re also lucky if you have an artist in the family. Unprimed canvas should be more transparent. Maybe you could increase the depth of the frame to 100 mm which would give you more absorption. Rockwool comes in different densities and the higher the greater the effect on bass should be. Or you could investigate rubber from efoam.com. Maybe try the stuff on the wall without a canvas to see the different effect of the canvas. Be interested to know how you get on.

1 Like

Hello Peter, thanks for the recommendation, those tuned bass traps do look very interesting, especially with the diffusion panels which should help with WAF!
At £320 each side they are quite reasonable considering the tech and finish.
However they are double the depth, I’ll mock one up and see if I can get approval :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank,
Mark

1 Like