The Listening Room Reality

I shall try to keep this thread ticking along in Thomas’ absence. There is still a lot to take into consideration with the old room, so hey here is a good run down on Comb filtering and its implications, when we set our systems up ( I’m confident people will enjoy this :rofl:). Best Peter

5 Likes

Thomas is doing very well.

18 Likes

Great news, do tell him to post please allowing us to tell him off for buggering off like that! :face_with_head_bandage::joy: Best Peter

7 Likes

Good to know he’s not fallen off an alp.

1 Like

Dam right! There have been too many bad accidents this year in the Alps, I was starting to fear the worst! So it’s great to hear he’s ok!!

2 Likes

That’s a very strange stick man :rofl:

1 Like

Indeed, room treatment can be a life changing experience :wink: Best Peter

2 Likes

Thought it was worth a try. Two of them installed (actually just plonked down in corners so far) yesterday. Initial impression is great, they seem to be doing everything I hoped. Bass clarity and resolution improved. Faster bass with more energy.

Hans

6 Likes

….and very discreet too Hans :+1:t3: What are your speakers? Best Peter

YG Acoustics Sonja 2.2i

YG makes brilliant speakers.

1 Like

I sincerely hope he hasn’t fallen from one of his mountains!

@Rafael was in touch with him on LinkedIn. He’s ok.

1 Like

How are you getting on with the PSIs? I have been considering trying them for some time since I have some low bass modes and also need some general broadband bass absorption. When I spoke to them they told me positioning was important and that they could make things sound worse in different parts of the room so I have yet to take the plunge. I see you put yours in the corner behind the speakers. I was considering putting them on the opposite wall. Have you tried them in different corners yet? I remember Thomas intended to get four, but then he spent £30,000 on a rack, and my budget is not quite so large.
When I spoke to PSI they also suggested playing a tone corresponding to the troublesome mode to see where it was loudest which was a helpful strategy.
Be very keen to hear how you are finding them if you have the time to post an update.

1 Like

Hi JohnC2!

I haven’t moved them since I installed them. It is not feasible for me to place them at the other end of the room as I have doors close to those corners. I have no room mode issues that I am aware of, possibly due to using Space Optimisation on my Linn Streamer which I think adresses this issue to some extent.

The backgound to this purchase was partly this thread and partly a unplanned experiment I made this summer. I was listening to a record in August and noticed that the bass sounded exceptionally good, much more open and resolved than usual. I eventually concluded that the reason was that I had one of the windows behind the speakers open. As it can get quite cold here I purchased the AVAA’s to attain the same result. So far so good.

Good luck
Hans

7 Likes

Thanks Hans

I tried the open window experiment but it did not make a huge difference but there again the sound modes are building up in the corners of the room so I’m sure I will give these things a try before too long.

Peter, it is just occurred to me that since Thomas does not appear to own any Naim equipment anymore, maybe he no longer intends to post in this thread, which would be a shame because there’s a lot of useful stuff here, and he was very knowledgeable on the subject.

and I am intrigued to know how his experiment went/is going
Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Hi John, tbh. I’m a little baffled too. Room treatment is a universal issue whatever make of gear we own, and this whole thread with input from a lot of people learning as we are going a long has been extremely helpful certainly in my case. I miss Thomas’ always levelheaded and sensible input, and am equally curious as to how he’s getting on. Hey ho, we don’t know what’s going on his end. I won’t start speculating again, as I felt like the classic nervous parent, when the talk went on to his extreme hobby :roll_eyes::face_with_head_bandage: ATB Peter

Hi Rafael, did you ever get a reply from @Thomas? Is he OK?

From his partner C, she should know.

5 Likes