The missing sound in my upgrade

All this cable discussion. I would think that the supplied DIN cables you get from Naim when you buy for example CDX2 and 272 are good enough?
Naim will never compromise their own product. And how do they test their own equipment before it leaves the factory? With a much more expensive cable than the one you get with the unit?
Is the rule just that you have to buy a more expensive cable, in this case the Chord brand, just to remove all doubt that you have the best?
It’s a jungle out there

1 Like

Cables are high margin add-on sales for dealers. I would always start with the cables supplied in the box and use them for at least a few months. Then, just maybe, try an upgrade cable if you feel the urge. If the improvement doesn’t justify the cost, don’t keep it. I find it best to determine this by going back to the original cable and seeing which you prefer. Some cables just seem to sound a little different, and it’s easy to interpret this as better on first impressions.

4 Likes

Yes, burning in and getting used to the new sound are two important recommendations.

More important than this is to get your racking sorted out otherwise you will never hear the changes as clearly as you would like to.

Second most important for sound quality would be to get a dedicated radial installed with its own consumer unit and excellent quality earthing.

Well Stephen
I have some ShawlineX speaker cable by Chord. Are they inferior to Naim’s own cables?

The better boxes you get the more the included cables hold back your system full potential.

2 Likes

Which can be a bit contradictory to their own product. A bit of a shame, I’d say. As soon as you buy an expensive box from Naim, you start a new chapter of how to get the best out of them. Does a cable come with the devices without them having an opinion on it? Of course, I realise that I’ve joined a more expensive league because I have an opinion that Naim makes great products and it sounds good. But a line has to be drawn somewhere, and of course it’s entirely up to me

2 Likes

There are a lot of die-hard users on this forum who have gone down the rabbit hole of cables, only to concede & end up returning back to Naim’s own. It was there all along…

2 Likes

I’m just left wondering if the OP had all the ‘correct’ cables and the ‘correct’ racking, whether he would have needed a 555ps at all. :wink:

1 Like

Naim has quite a range themselves from Lavender up to Super Lumina which is Chord Sarum T price level. So they know themselves what the effect of cables has.

1 Like

I really appreciate all the posts that have been made on this topic, which obviously touches a lot of people here. Some of it has been really useful, and I thank you for that.
Well, I’m also a bloodthirsty hunter for what I can ultimately do within my own budget and what sounds like common sense. I’ve taken a bit of time to properly set up my system, i.e. a new rack for my system

In this connection, I would like to ask if any of you here know of a device that can measure vibrations on a possible shelf or on a cabinet.
Is the question far-fetched … Well, not more far-fetched than many other things…? :wink:

Have you checked polarity?
Much more important than cables,cleaning and vibrations.

2 Likes

I will do that Igel. So when I measure, it is important that the pin “L” lights up in the socket female on all the sockets I have for the devices. Is this correct?

1 Like

Great ! Yes that’s correct :+1:

1 Like

Like that. If there’s light in the pen, then it’s good.
IMG_2748

2 Likes

Then I set polarity on all plugs so they are the same now. And guess what. It was wrongly phased to my 555ps!! Now I have reversed the plug so that the phase is correct and follows with all the other units. I can hear something in the bass, maybe quieter and fuller. My god… I sound like an amateur, but this site is also for amateurs trying their hand, isn’t it… I can tell that my ears can hear the difference :blush:

7 Likes

Great ! That was as I suspected then.
You are not alone,many have missed this very important thing.

1 Like

In this connection, I want to hear a little about my powerline connector. I just can’t get my plug into my device any further. See picture. The instructions for the plug say that it must be pushed in so far that the black collar at the back is pushed out a little/ comes loose from the aluminum part at the front. Also look at the distance between the unit and the aluminum collar, you can still see some of the socket. Can it be true? I can’t use more violence to push it in any further. What experiences do you have with it?

That looks correct to me. There will be like 2mm distance when pushed in fully.

3 Likes

Looks good to me also.
Have you read this from Richard Dane ?

1 Like

Yes Igel, I saw that. And I did look again in the manuel, it seems to be fine

1 Like