The Munich “Bird” Report

It wouldn’t be on the top shelf here, so the gryphon wouldn’t bother me as not really visible in my case.

The facia, while not particularly good looking, I could live with if indeed it was a cut above the rest sound wise.

I am not so sure if the design at this pricepoint is such a topic. People with these kind of setup most probably have a specific listening room for it, so it’s doesn’t affect the styling of the house. And anyhow design is a matter of taste. For instance for me the beasts of Dan Agostino represent a certain beauty to me.

2 Likes

Given the size of that thing it wouldn’t be on any shelf :wink:

Well, that’s what they’re there for. Different styles for different tastes. Nothing wrong with that. I’d imagine they know their target audience as well as those who it wouldn’t appeal to.

One could even with more critical view look at our black box setups. Yes the design of the individual black boxes might be regarded as classy and nice. If you now look at the average setup with multiple black boxes sometimes in two or three towers, one could argue that the sum of it also becomes ugly and prominent in the room and even adding the speakers it would be even more of an issue.

That’s why I belief there is also a good market for people for which design is a bigger issue and the ultimate level of sound is not needed. That’s where one box systems or small well designed pieces of art can play a role.
The design of the Unity Series in my view also fits very well to people who want a great sound to be combined with a non intrusive setup.

6 Likes

B & O had them covered long ago.

3 Likes

Ambition would be to finish of the report today. So let’s see if we get this done.

Audiaz- very special speaker design. But not ugly and actually I can understand even why they did it. From a sound perspective the impression a precise and good soundstage and an overall nice sound. Didn’t spent enough time to give a definitive impression, but I didn’t walk away.

They played:
Eric Clapton - River of Tears

2 Likes

When I mentioned Naim alongside Linn, I was meaning the Unity range rather than the larger black boxes. Again, the multiple Naim black box systems can work in a normal living environment but I guess if it reaches a point of multiple racks then I they may be better suited to a dedicated listening room. A very subjective subject really.

I often feel like the D’Agostino stuff is everything Chord aesthetically tried to do but failed.

The brushed silver and copper with the big VU meter seems like something from Jules Verne. I love it. It’s querky and brutish, yet somehow fantastical with hints of French industrialism. I’d probably build a nautical themed room around it. I could totally imagine it as a prop in the Jules Verne land of Tokyo Disney Sea.

3 Likes

Captain Naimo might object.

I’ll get my coat…

6 Likes

Next up was Music First. They had a “nice” sound, but at the same time I was missing the raw energy and emotion……especially in the Bruce Springsteen thing I would have expected more balls (while I am not a Springsteen fan)

They played:
Holly Cole - Life is just a bowl of cherries
Amestroy Trio - Sport Et Couture
Bruce Springsteen - Dead Man Walking

3 Likes

I’m going to commit heresy on here but for me the only thing that spoils the design look of the black boxes is the Fraim. Design and look is important to me , but is second to sound quality. The Fraim however tips over in to the not a big enough sq effect for its ungainly look.

8 Likes

Kharma is kind of special. Design wise, room setup with a complete wooden surrounding and also music choices…… but the result is great, sound is very good and accurate. They played a complex percussion piece and as I played percussion myself you get when it’s correct, in decay, attack etc…
The only annoying thing was that while I was sitting there some Dutch people came in knowing apparently the guys demoing and keep on talking and talking, destroying a bit the very fine musical performance of the system (I am Dutch so I am allowed to complain).

They played:
Ted Poor - To Rome (very good representation of cymbals with it’s overtones, decay etc)
Fink - We watch the stars

Design wise as we discussed not so much my thing, but Soundwise yes

3 Likes

Have you built a Troels designed speaker ?

Actual Hifi….
Apologies no pictures while some notes on brands there. Doshi, Tri Planar, Joseph Audio and purist audio design

Impression that the dynamics don’t work so well in this setup. In the Malia song, a lot going on but missing the dynamical positioning of it, in the Dexter Gordon song the trumpet was a bit thin and missing the slam of the drums….

They played:
Malia with Boris Blank - Turner’s Ship
Dexter Gordon - Tanya (movie version)

1 Like

Next up was Dali wit the presentation of their statement speaker the Kore. You see a couple of pictures of the bigger driver, I didn’t take pictures of the other drivers……

They told us that the speakers also need to play well when you have only 50 watts. I understand the design philosophy. However found it a bit of a missed opportunity that they use the Blue Node as a source. If I would have presented it I would also have used great sources and amplification, even if I want to proof that it works on 50 watts. The blue node was in my ears holding the speakers a bit back in ultimate refinement, earthyness, rawness and emotion….

They Played:
Eva Cassidy - Stormy Monday
Oscar Peterson - A sing from the album we get requests (missed a bit the ultimate refinement I know from my own system as it is a reference album for me when I change my system)
The James Blood Ulmer Blues Experience - Crying (Live)
Propellerheads - On her majesty’s secret service)
Kruangbin & Leon Bridges - Mariella
Jessy Norman - Four Last Songs Frühling, was on my request and the system was struggling with the high overtones……, not sure if it was the speakers or the source amplification

3 Likes

Not yet. I have ordered and received the kit, but still waiting on some drivers and yet to start on the cabinet.

Very interested in having a go myself. Will you be reporting back on it ?

Thanks
Alan

Great Mickey Hart track. The whole album is musically and acoustically brilliant. Fab.
Highly recommended.

1 Like

speaking of captain nemo…Krell KAS monoblocks.
These are the original Captain Nimo amps. :grin:

3 Likes