The Munich “Bird” Report

Glad everything went ok. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you won’t have any issues

2 Likes

:rofl:

Not a very attentive audience, let alone enthusiastic looking!

So good to have you back Bert! Great work on both accounts!

Well done Kuma a very insightful read as well…bravo!

I’ve not heard many of these systems…make that none!! I must confess from an esthetics point of view Naim win hands down. The simplicity, and good ol Henry Ford black wins it every time for me! Fabulous thread fine Naim forum people!

1 Like

Oops. You’re right.
Here are the Zellaton.

Uploading: zelaton2.jpg…

I have no recollection of what was driving them but I recall they sounded pretty good. Very quick and dynamic. IIRC, their proprietary drive units are related to Ensemble (but they are made in Germany). They sort of got the Magico look.

5 Likes

Oh wow Bert. Indeed we were so close yet too far. You look awfully serious! :grin:
I planned to meet some of my virtual friends at the show but in reality coordinating everyone’s schedule was so hectic I only got to meet two out of two! Maybe next year.

Glad your operation was a success. Hope you’ll recover in no time.

Welldone on your detailed report. Me, OTOH, did not take any notes so I can remember exceptionally good sounding rooms only. :laughing:

3 Likes

Did your doc. give you any good meds for pain? Last year I fell down flat on a living room floor by knocking my right knee on a couch and I was down for over 3 weeks. I did not break it but I was told that fracturing is worse than breaking. I was on the extra strength Tylenol for a whole month. It was very difficult as I could not put any pressure on my knee and I live in a house with many stairs. :frowning_face: So I know how difficult it is especially if you live alone.

2 Likes

Found another Marten photo. This must be in a different room with a different model.

5 Likes

Everyone seems to be on this analogue band wagon.
Esoteric is no exception. Having heard their excellent CD/SACD player at AXPONA, I was hoping another good demo. Alas, nothing was playing when I was there.

Uploading: blLJY5rg.jpg…

4 Likes

Wonder if those external x-overs would work for SBLs, SL2s? :thinking:

1 Like

Looks like a variable resonator, similar to the Polifemo

2 Likes

What did you think to the living voice. I heard these with some EAR amps and thought they were rather good. I doubt if they would partner well with NAIM in the long term. Maybe some old chrome bumper amps possibly.

Acustica Applicata Volcano - “Acustica Applicata have developed a range of Helmholtz Resonators which are devices designed to deal with acoustic resonances, there is the Volcano, the Halifax and the Polifemo.”

Hopefully I interpreted the raised eyebrow correctly!? And it wasn’t shorthand for, “Oh, good grief, another one of those dratted Acustica Applicata Helmholtz Resonators!!”

And after that reply I saw someone else responded!! Never mind X)

1 Like

The EAR room was the very last room we visited on Saturday afternoon. As the show winding down it was in a relaxed mood. The room was tended by friendly chap and when I spotted the Fuuga cartridge on the turntable I asked him if he had any classical or jazz records. Turned out he loves the classical and more than happy to put on any records I wanted from the stack he had on hand. He lamented it’s a shame most people will leave the room when he puts on classical.

They were in a smalish Living Voice speakers driven by all EAR amps. I was not at all familiar with Dr. Feichart Analogue Blackbird or his arm.

What an enjoyable last room. We stayed about an hour. This real world system made much better music than 90% of $$$ behemoth systems at the show. Altho I did not get to hear the big Living Voice horn system I have heard so much about at this show, not at all I was disappointed with this little system. It was making music!

Compatibility to Naim gear? I’m sure EAR amps would sound fabulous on an SL2s or SBL.
Also I am curious about EAR phono. ( it’s a part of their 912 preamp ) It was working great with Fuuga cartridge.

10 Likes

Debs.
Xover points vary by speakers so I doubt it.

Another brand with a new turntable is Burmester. They partnered with YG Acoustics speakers.

Uploading: F6837DiA.jpg…

Those smallish YG speakers, I have heard them more enguaging at AXPONA with surprisingly Krell amp and a stack of MSB digital front end.

4 Likes

Pain is not the topic, that’s pretty good under control with the medicine. The real issue is mobility and risk of disbalance,………, and potentially again falling….

2 Likes

Very pleased to read that Kuma. I may join an Ear 861 to my Ear 912 one day. I agree, it makes music! :+1:
You said little system, but it’s already a 40 k only turntable system. You join an Nd555 to match the level of the phono source, and you have a 60k system. Not so little.
Of course, it’s not a 500 k like some MBL, Boulder/ Wadax or top Burmester.

Maybe @Yeti would share on that Dr Feikert/Fuuga cart. I have never heard.

1 Like

Go for it… you will be grinning Ear to Ear I reckon.

1 Like

Bert.
I hope you don’t have to move around much. In my case I relied heavily on my friends. My neighbour also lent me a walker. ( boy did I feel old ) :confused:
After this incident I moved my office space to downstairs so that I don’t have to go up and down so much.

1 Like