The Naim app is so janky

Maybe. A console cable off fleabay will allow you to clear all previous config and 100% sure that the Cisco is doing what you expect it to do. It’ll only cost a few bob and a bit of time.

1 Like

It’s a Sky router model SR203, one year old.

If I had had to rely on my Naim app to access my 555 streamer or my Muso, I would have given up long since. Luckily Roon does the job nicely.
Peter

1 Like

Interesting to note that no one has reported on changing to the latest iOS & Android apps released 4 days ago & if they have fixed this jankyness

Just tried it. No still daft as a brush. Going to take a lot more than a modest update to sort that baby out.

I use a Core with the app. Searching for albums by artist takes a good minute before they appear. Yet search by album field itself and it works excellently.

As for the pictures associated with the artist supplied by the app. Well Elvis Costello now resembles Aretha Franklin and ABC are Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. Mahler looks uncannily like Bob Marley.

It gets there in the end , but it’s a bit of a palava.

My Bluesound app works terrifically , so reluctant to blame phone or network.

1 Like

Well it’s been Easter :slight_smile: There were some welcome improvements (e.g., the option to change the order of inputs in the app that was frequently requested) and bugfixes. As far as I can tell, the performance improvements are there that also have an effect on the unresponsiveness with many Qobuz favorites. I just tried with the release update and it’s like it was in the latest beta, i.e. much better.
(Edit: May be of interest to @LJS)

“Fixing this jankyness” in general will be a longer path, but good to see Naim being on it

1 Like

There is a wifi scanner application for the iPhone and iPad, in fact it’s from Apple themselves!
You need to install the free “AirPort Utility” app. In the settings, you must turn on the switches for “allow airport utility to access: Local Network” and “Wi-Fi Scanner”.
In the app itself, you must click on “Wi-Fi Scan” in the upper right corner. Then hit “scan”. And there’s all the wifi networks around you, sorted by signal strength. For every network, the app lists the name, MAC address, signal strength, and channel. I hope this helps…

2 Likes

The Naim app is working quite nicely for me these days. Doubtless helped by prety solid WiFi and ISP service. Interestingly it is best on my Chromebook.

I remember my early use of the Naim app was a bit intermittent, it was my reason for joining this place so that I could ask what i was doing wrong. I don’t recall doing anything to my network which might have resolved my issues but up until the time when I stopped using my SU, it had been working fine for several years.

Perhaps the HIFi fairies fixed it :0)

Now that I have a current streaming platform (Mu-so wood) I’ve been able to use some of the new features e.g. Qobuz etc.

All seems good and I’ve noticed that iRadio is much slicker. Search works nicely too.

It’s early days for me but it seems ok so far.
:+1:

I use the Naim app on an iphone for 1) Naim Core and b) Muso Cube (generation 1) and have no issues.

I think sometimes people blame the app for what is generally network issues. I’ve been using the app for a few years now and really haven’t had too many issues. Compared to a lot other apps I use daily I find it rather simple to use.

1 Like

My only problem with the app is sometimes wondering where to click for album or artist info. I also wonder given I assume like most we have multiple streaming platforms attached to the naim app, capabilities one gets in the Tidal / Qobuz / Spoitfy / etc proprietary app won’t be available in the naim app.

How much does this hurt in terms of usability and whether people are flicking back and fore between apps as a result? Does this present an interesting problem for naim app’s future or product roadmap given (I assume) it can only provide features based on the (common?) integration interface with streaming platforms?

100% Pete, network & then add bad ripping & file management.
The app does not have much intelligence, it basically displays what the server software sends it & responds to the limited command functions it has.
But if your album files have errors, your server setup or its software is not setup correctly, then you will see all this in a “janky” app.

While back I spent time on a friends NAS, he has been loading all sorts of audio, his kids had been doing the same, some CD rips, some from www, iTunes, magazines & goodness knows where, plus a heap of playlist stuff.
I ended up taking it back my house to work on it, I used dBpoweramp stuff, PerfectTUNES found & helped correct metadata & album art & removed the many duplicated tracks & albums. I then converted all the lossless files to FLAC & ‘reconverted’ MP3 to MP3. The folder tree was in a mess although it did not affect the browsing, I rebuild the folder tree.
It took a few evenings & it fixed all but a few albums & individual tracks.
An hour or so of how to do it instruction back at his house & he & kids are happy.

1 Like

Used NServe & Naim app for years. They have never janked. Not once.

G

2 Likes

I still do use both and totally agree. If metadata is missing, I simply edit it on n-serve. Software version 1.7c helps too.

As I said I’ve not had much problem with either app.

Yes, definitely. At the same time, too many members habitually jump to blaming network issues when the issue is clearly in the app.

4 Likes

I have various Naim products dotted around the house, Muso’s, QB’s Core and ND555. The Core and ND555 are connected via Ethernet cable and have never presented any issues whatsoever. The Muso’s were rather slow to appear in the app, albeit not instantly but did appear. I then noticed the thread about BT routers which i have. I have switched off the 5GHZ part of the router and hey presto, instant communication in the app. This has solved it for me.
Keep with it, there must be a simple solution to it.

My Naim App is definitely not Janky!!!

1 Like

Looks like the Wi-Fi section came from the cheapest possible sources. If, say, the application is unable to handle the corresponding delays, the experience of the owners will be a true nightmare!