The Naim app is so janky

Some (many) routers have this in their own web interfaces, dunno about Sky, making it easy to see congested channels and to pick a different one (if the router’s automatism is not smart enough to pick a good channel on its own)

1 Like

If you use an app on the mobile, you can move it about the house and check for wifi interference/signal strength in the location that you use the Naim app.

2 Likes

It’s generally best to keep the automatic channel selection active, since the neighbouring channels will change regularly too.

1 Like

True, but what the router sees is also important.

Also true but depends on the environment. In my apartment, it’s always the same channels that are congested, and some others that are always unused except by me.

1 Like

None of them are IME. They can only base it on the situation near them, not on the situration near your device which is just as important.

2 Likes

Yes, both are important. But setting the router to a channel that the app shows as good but the router itself sees as bad makes no sense either

1 Like

You can’t do this with an iPhone unfortunately.

1 Like

I am not an iPhone user, but surely there are wifi analyzer apps for iOS? Mind you, little would surprise me on iDevices …

1 Like

True, but it may not always be effective.
My router is at the front of the house, so changes channel based on strength of channels in that location. I use a Now TV stick at the back of the house on another level, other channels are strong in this location.

2 Likes

Yes. I also have mine set on manual. I’m streaming to my NOW TV with no problem. :innocent:

1 Like

Move up to an Android. :thinking:

1 Like

No there aren’t. It’s an iPhone limitation (one of the few, but not nearly enough to make it worth dropping down to an android phone).

3 Likes

I see. Thanks. No use to debate what’s dropping down or not, different people want different things

1 Like

I think that people who are annoyed with something, are much more vocal about it than satisfied users. Having said that, I have read enough posts from members who are perturbed with issues they are experiencing with the Naim App that there is definitely validity to what they say. I have never had any of the perported issues, myself, but it must really suck for those who do.

2 Likes

If your smartphone can connect to wi-fi that should be enough for the app, unless some setting on the router is preventing the app seeing the wired network, which is not it appears the case when the Cisco is removed from the equation. Again I’d ask if the Cisco is creating its own subnet which would mean that devices not-directly connected to it via ethernet might be blind to the NAS/streamer when hooked up to the Cisco. The Cisco could also potentially be a DHCP server handing our addresses to directly connected devices, and this could cause issues if the router is also (almost certainly) a DHCP server.

If the Cisco worked in the past without issue this would be odd unless it’s faulty or has had a configuration change. As noted I don’t have one, but resetting Cisco to default settings might not be what you need if it does any of the things mentioned above ‘by default’.

We really need some help from someone who has a similar Cisco switch.

1 Like

If the Cisco has not known to have been reset then doing that would remove another variable.

2 Likes

But. If the cisco switch is working perfectly for all other devises on the network, with the current settings. Changing the setting may screw things up for these currently working devices.

It’s happened to me more than once, started out trying to fix a single problem and ended up with a whole load of problems. :scream:

1 Like

Depends which ports the other devices are on.

1 Like

OK.

So resetting, won’t change the settings on the ports that the devices that work are using???

Would connecting the NDS to these ports solve the problem???

1 Like

So situation is the NDS and Zoneripper NAS are connected up directly to the router. I have not changed the bandwidth.

Everything seems to be working well for the past few days.

Previously I was using the app and tried it on two smart phones and was having the same problems.

I am going to leave it all as it is for now as if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Thanks for all the support and ideas. Much appreciated!

1 Like