The Naim app is so janky

Not ready to do that yet. Maybe in the future. My current issue is that the Naim app is unable to bring up items (artists/albums/tracks) from my library in a search, going through any of my three UPnP/DLNA servers (the fourth not tested). While I agree that the Windows server is crap (See above), Searching a local library is a pretty basic function and I cannot imagine Twonky and JMRC don’t support it.

If you’re telling me that that there is a known bug resulting in Naim being unable to search a Twonky library, I’ll listen. But if you’re just telling me that I should purchase new software and reorganize my entire music collection (and deal with the inevitable hiccups that will attend) because maybe it will work better I’ll pass. There are easier workarounds.

Edit - I see the problem has been reported. As far as I can tell, the server software makes no difference.

I’m pretty sure the Naim app search function doesn’t search the DLNA servers. The route there is to use the tree walking capabilities. The search function says it searches Radio stations, local music, Tidal and Qobuz.

If you select All Music from the Servers option, then filter will let you search, I’ve never had the patience to wait for it to be indexed (and to honest prefer the tree walking, I only tried out of curiosity ). That can be used to search any view, so album… depending on what your DLNA servers shows.

1 Like

Thanks. While you were typing I found a previous thread.

I misinterpreted local to mean local to my network. It is a strange shortcoming IMHO.

1 Like

Asset and Minimserver have free test versions and are pretty cheap anyway. Nearly nobody uses Twonky, so any help for it on this forum will necessarily be limited.

My comment was meant in general, not for the search as such, search is not available for UPnP as far as I know, and the Naim app search box does not say that it searches UPnP. But I guess the approach by Eoink above will work.

The old server software was much better with local search in different variations and radiostation searches. I doubt if the new platform will ever get that good, unless all your music is on tidal since Tidal if you are logged in is searched by default.
Claus

Sorry - can you help me? When you say server software, what precisely do you mean? Twonky? The Naim app? Something hard-coded into the Muso or Nova?

The naim servers ns0X/hdx/userve released before the first generation naim streamers.
Claus

1 Like

The global search cannot access UPnP servers except for the Core. It may be a shortcoming, but it’s not a bug as such.

1 Like

Not a real problem for me. 99% of the time I find my music through drill-down: Genre/Album Artist (which is a portmanteau made up of composer and principal performer for classical)/Album. About the only time I search my own library is when I have a classical album with more than one composer - sometimes I need help tracking a performance down.

A continual problem I have is that of the app not finding my server (a Unitiserve). It also fails to see the media server on my Fritz router. This seems to happen after I have been using Tidal, via the app.

Solvable by an iPhone reboot but annoying nonetheless.

A minor issue - I am currently testing JRiver as my media server. Despite one bad session, things seem to be going well. Time will tell.

In addition to the Naim physical remote and app, I also have the JRemote app, which I can use to control music on my Naim Nova. However, JRemote cannot control my Naim after I have been using the Naim app. I tried putting the Nova to sleep (but not deep sleep). I also tried switching inputs on the Nova and then switching back to server input. Neither worked.

As I said, this is not a huge deal. There are two advantages I see to the JRemote: (i) the Naim app does not display the images at the Genre level properly; and (ii) at some point I may want to add additional non-Naim renderers to the JRemote system, and it would be nice to have one app to rule them all. :grinning:

Cr@p might be even better. It’s an absolute disgrace.

Why, exactly, is it crap? There is no point in slagging something off unless you can explain what the issue is.

1 Like

Its a “disgrace” now…seriously get your head out of the tech anxiety you are clearly in and listen to some more music.

3 Likes

I’ve used a JRiver since 2012 and never had a problem other than having it crash a few times each year. For best results I installed it on a Parallels Mac OS VM on my iMac.

Every streamer brand app I’ve used has been suboptimal. Naim used to have the best app. Roon is by far the best app I’ve ever used. At this point I wouldn’t bother to using the Naim app when Roon is an option.

I agree.

4 Likes

I’d not tell it is a crap as I had some experience with Arcam’s application. Their software quality pushed me to double the budget and buy an nd5xs2. Before I pulled the trigger, I even visited some sly dealer to try the Naim app with his Muso.
Howewer, I can tell that the Naim app is full of network issues. In example, it hangs for several times a day if I switch tracks too often.
I’ve never had such issues when I use Spotify - when Naim app is unable to connect to the room, or unable to find rooms, or unable to switch track, the Spotify app always does what is expected.
The only reliable solution for Naim app is to kill and restart it.
Another issue is a bit small fonts and touchable elements size.

It’s still as incorrect as it was when I replied to that post with evidence of issues that clearly are not network

I used to experience a “lag” when looking for my Musos when using the app. I use a BT router (forgive me if you’re not in the UK), along with the BT black disks. I have now got a TP AX20 and disconnected all black discs. A hallelujah moment. All Musos (connected on Wi-Fi) are now instant seen in the app. I’m running Gen 1 Musos. I couldn’t be any happier (well, I could be if I had latest Gen Musos!!).
Maybe check network settings etc. I have loads of Wi-Fi devices which all connect fine to the BT black discs. I’m unsure about the Musos not working well with them, I just know everything is as so much better now.