The Naim app is so janky

You probably just need to give the UQ2 a fixed IP address in the router settings and it should be fine.

From a network configuration / discoverability perspective a static IP address shouldn’t give any practical benefits. An IP address is just a number, it shouldn’t matter if the number was assigned randomly or not. Discovery should generally be better when using DHCP, since the router will have the address in it’s routing table, together with the associated hostname.

Almost all routers will keep giving the same DHCP IP to attached devices on renewal, so the IP should not change unless perhaps the router is powered down at some point.

DHCP is the standard for SOHO network environments, so the app should be able to deal with that without problems.

1 Like

Agreeing of course, though a sensible router should have a static IP in its routing table too. (And the option to always assign the same IP even with DHCP and after powering down)

There is one possible issue though that could be ruled out by this: The UQ2 having an issue with DHCP. I don’t know if it has, but based on experience wouldn’t assume it’s impossible

1 Like

Yes, but that would require user intervention, something that may be too technical for a number of Naim owners. My parents for instance would have no problem buying a Muso or QB and using an iPad/iPhone app to play music, but they would have no idea what a “static IP” is or how to configure it.

So i don’t think it would appropriate to regard static IP’s as a standard approach for the Naim app/environment to work correctly. DHCP should just work™.

1 Like

Of course, but the user has a problem that, as described, could possibly be caused by a bug in DHCP. And Mike_S is so sure as well, maybe it’s even a known issue with the UQ2 - as there are others with older Naim gear, such as “don’t use wifi” (which should work too :slight_smile: )

Just saying that trying a static IP could rule out a possible issue with DHCP, so worth trying IMHO

And it could introduce other problems too… :wink:

I would generally advise against it, mostly out of convenience but also because of possible other conflicts or issues. Even if it would fix one thing, it could introduce problems in other areas.

But that’s just my opinion ofcourse!

I just don’t really agree with bringing up static IP’s as the “obvious” solution to @IvoB 's issues with the Naim app.

P.s., in this scenario:

The IP is still assigned through DHCP so it wouldn’t change anything in that respect.

I wouldn’t advise it normally either, you are completely correct about this. But there is an unknown issue in this instance and trying is useful. Either it helps, then there is more data to help understand the problem. It may be in the router or in the UQ2 with DHCP; or something else. Or it makes no difference, then this is not it and can be set back to DHCP

Yes, this is how I resolved discovery issues with a UQ2 on my network. The older streamers seem to have this sensitivity.

1 Like

I’m late to this, but have you got the latest firmware on your streamer? It should be 4.7 on your NAC N 272. If you are still on 4.6 or below, then that is why Tidal doesn’t work reliably. Firmware version 4.7 included a fix to deal with Tidal’s server-side changes.
Best
David

1 Like

I’ve been holding off posting this in the hope Tidal Connect comes along quick, but as it seems to be weeks or months away, I need to comment.

When playing from a Tidal Playlist from the Naim app, when my iphone screen sleeps, upon awakening, the Naim app, instead of showing the playlist that I am playing from, takes me, bizarrely, to Local Radio options… Getting very frustrating, as I have to go back into my Playlist section, find the Playlist, find the track I’m playing (or thereabouts) etc. I have deleted the Naim app and re-installed, latest update on iphone etc.

1 Like

@tomvamos I wonder if you would kindly look at the above? Many thanks

Struggling to recreate this I’m afraid @JamesBKK. Could you note down your precise steps and environment (iOS version etc) and send it through to support@naimaudio.com. Screenshots or video would be super helpful too.

2 Likes

Many thanks, will do.

1 Like

A small point but some Tidal playlists appear without a picture, even though one is present on the Tidal app

Totally agree

I’ve always enjoyed using the Naim app.

This is an area where I have been doing some testing over the past week.

I started streaming with Squeezeboxes and the Logitech Media Streamer over a decade ago. I added some ChromeCast devices using the LMS ChromeCast plug-in. While I’ve had my share of hiccups, the system basically worked. LMS was installed on a low-budget Windows 10 machine with an external hard drive. (For several years I have had a back-up on an old WDMyCloud NAS (not the new architecture). Never saw the need to switch to that as my music server.)

When I got my Nova and MuSo 2 earlier this year, I decided to explore my streaming options. (Both units are connected by Ethernet to an Orbi Satellite.)

First, I determined that I could control them through LMS+ChromeCast plug-in. Indexing was identical to my other ChromeCast devices. IPeng app worked fine.

I switched to DLNA and quickly found I had more options than I realized. I’ve tested the following:

Using JRiver as a server. Indexing worked well. Playback is under review. One disastrous session (endless stops and starts - rebuffering?), but several other sessions that went well. Tried both JRemote and the Naim app. No difference.

LMS+UPnP/DLNA plug-in very brief test. Indexing unsatisfactory. (As I recall, indexing by genre, which is critical for me, did not work.). Playback worked though. Used the Naim app.

Windows Media Server. Indexing totally insufficient. I think I got a listing by album, but that was it. Used the Naim app.

All three of these used the external hard drive. Then I tried the copy on my NAS, which came with Twonky pre-installed. I indexed the files and accessed them with the Naim app. So far, no problems.

All of this was testing. I will continue, for the time being, to use the NAS for the Naim units and LMS for everything else. But I hope to consolidate at some point.

I have to say, that I don’t see how the Naim app had anything to do with my experience, but maybe I just don’t understand how DLNA works.

And to mention what appears to be the lack of basic regression testing. There is a bug that repeatedly shows up independently on iOS and Android where the text after an extended character, e.g a forward slash or hyphen, is truncated in the album list. Over the past five or so years I’ve reported it, it gets fixed, it reappears and we repeat.

The last time I reported it I asked why this isn’t regression tested given how easy it is to test for. I got no answer. Since that report, it has been fixed and reappeared. So if they don’t care why should we. Just another nail in the Naim digital coffin.

I don’t understand why they find it so hard to get their dev processes better. Hey ho.

As mentioned above, I am in a testing mode. Where I do seem to have a problem with the Naim app is with the Search function. It seems only to pull up items found on Tidal, not my local server. I have tried this using several DLNA servers (again see above), all with the same result. Is there a setting that I missed.

As for the post above me, I do not seem to have the same truncation issue. Many of my hi-Rez albums are identified with the resolution identified (e.g. 96-24) . No truncation there.

I’d try a good UPnP server like Asset or Minimserver. The built-in one of Windows is crap and Twonky is poor. At least with Asset/Minimserver most members are using the same and will be able to help/compare