The Naim app is so janky

You are probably typing in the Filter field? That does seem to work yes, but it only filters results in the current directory i think.

I was referring to the main Search (magnifying glass) on top of the page.

Maybe a difference between iOS and Android?

For me (Android) I can confirm what’s reported by Litemotiv. I do not get any search results from my UPnP servers. Only the possibility to filter what’s already shown in the current view.

Correction; now 21 songs into playlist so 4.7 the best! I switched the nds off and back on, seems to have done the trick. Thanks again @davidhendon

1 Like

Rest assured, someone will be along soon to tell you it’s your network!

4 Likes

Regardless of how fond we all are of Naim, there is nothing wrong with staying critical :+1:

6 Likes

Some would like us never to criticise the beloved Naim. After the last firmware debacle I am strongly in the being critical camp, hopefully they have learned from it.

Until the app has a unified search function I’ll never use it for music playback unless I have no choice. I just don’t understand why it can’t it’s daft having to go to a seperate section to search for your own music. Is it a limitation of UPnP? as Bubble manages this perfectly fine. It searches UPnP serves and streaming from one search window.

1 Like

I think the main issue is the price point, Naim equipment is expensive so people expect a lot from an app when it’s offered. It currently doesn’t meet the quality standards most people expect from the brand, and it hasn’t for a number of years.

Ofcourse the app is technically ‘free’, but it’s a necessary part of the streaming ecosystem. Something like BubbleUPNP only costs a few quid as well, and it does almost everything better and includes some other great functionality (like adding cloud shares - dropbox etc). Bubble is developed by only one guy, so there is no reason why a larger company like Naim that sells streamers for thousands of pounds each wouldn’t be able to provide the same level of functionality and usability.

Bubble ofcourse doesn’t offer all the functionality we need to control our streamers, so unfortunately we cannot simply switch to that as an alternative.

2 Likes

Unless I’m mistaken , it does have a unified search. Just tried with an old Qb mark 1. For example if I go to the Tidal icon an do a search, it searches Tidal and the UPnP server. Or have I misunderstood ?

The only server it’s able to search is the Core, or the built in server that runs on the streamer if you use it.

Exactly. Use a separate UPnP server such as asset to it get nada I hate proprietary rubbish like this. It was bad enough they didn’t support other upnp controllers properly for gapless for a very long time to.

I still don’t understand that there’s no lock screen widget for Android. Every single music app, inc. Mom and Pop developed, has it.

It’s such a basic feature you wouldn’t even check if available. Certainly not for a brand like Naim and at the prices they charge.

There’s also still functionality not available through it, only using the remote.

Just make sure the basics work well, with good and consistent UI and UX. Only then start adding more features. They seem to be taking the opposite approach which I don’t understand.

Hallelujah to that, brother.

I don’t have any issues with it either, it plays my music.

Janky? That’s a really poor term to use.

“Doesn’t meet my requirements”, might be better.

Tbh there are lots that don’t have lock screen controls. Some it seems don’t if they dont have local playback and are just remotes for other devices. Roon doesn’t and that definitely needs one. But yes having one is a must these days.

All the ones I’ve used had one, but admittedly I haven’t used a 100. But quite a few of those weren’t by big companies that were charging me thousands.

The OP wasn’t talking about requirements, but about poor UX design.

Yes, my point is that my user experience is perfectly fine.

The fact that some find it “janky” and others don’t tells me it isn’t. Therefore, it should be described in a different way.

It has been pointed out many times that it is reliable, as reliable as any other app using the local WiFi.

That sounds a bit like:

‘The fact that some people think McDonalds is crappy food and others don’t tells me that it isn’t.’

It’s not really a logical conclusion…

It is okay for someone to call McDonalds crappy food (and objectively speaking it probably is), even if you think it’s fine and have no problems with it.

1 Like

That’s true. But the definition of “janky” is unreliable quality. And over the many years where people have complained about the app on that basis, it’s been down to network issues.

So I really don’t think “janky” is an appropriate term to use, unless it’s categorically proven that the app is of unreliable quality. There are enough happy customers to suggest otherwise.

Therefore, I would suggest an alternative term to janky would be more appropriate.

Likewise, if some people are happy with it and others are not, the logical conclusion isn’t that it is “janky”.