The Naim App - yet again

With respect. I do get weary of people defending the Naim app and blaming everything else.
Clearly the app is poor and Naim lets it’s customers down in this area.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree the app could do better, but in this case it’s network or similar related.
Hopefully soon to find a solution that we can all learn from.

It’s not a case of “defending the Naim app”, rather reporting our own experience and in mine the app does what I want, effectively and efficiently. I have three different control apps for the three makes of streamers I own and, whilst none is perfect, Naim’s app is at least the equal of the others.

Roger

3 Likes

I get weary of people not knowing the difference between it’s and its, but hey, that’s life.

4 Likes

Your not wrong they’re.

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

We’ll done you two for spotting it !

Thanks guys and gals for pointing out my “it’s” error.
Naim app still poor which is what disappoints me.
After over 50 years of buying photographic and hifi gear I have found many owners find it difficult to be open and honest about problems with items they have spent a great deal of money on.
Following many strands on various forums it is obvious that the app is a weak point in the Naim universe.
My Naim hardware is wonderful.
Peace and love to all.

2 Likes

I have an odd issue. Just returned from vacation (when everything was powered down). Switched everything back on and the Naim App on my iPad Pro can’t see my NDX2 (I’ve tried restarting both devices). The odd part is that I have an older iPad and that connects just fine so clearly I don’t have a network issue.

No matter what I seem to do the app on the iPad Pro won’t see the NDX2 - anyone have any suggestions

I love the Naim app.
It works fine for me and has good reviews of most of the albums I enjoy.

1 Like

I should also add, both the iPad Pro and older iPad have had the latest apple software updates so is it possibly a combination of the iPadOS and app version??? The iPad Pro is running Naim App 6.1.3 but the older iPad is running the older 6.1.2

Is there a way to revert the iPad Pro back to the older version of the Naim App?

Try accessing the device website from your iPad.

Get NDX2 IP address (setup/other settings/network settings - within app)

Hard close naim app
Then in safari browse to:
http://192.168.1.x

Replacing with your IP address obviously.

Reopen app…

Had to do this once with our iPad/NDX2 to check network connectivity, and it “unblocked” something and it all started to work.

Was a very useful trick when we had 272 as well. Nearly every time the device didn’t appear in app this browse solved the issue.

You will do if your WiFi router turns off at night as ours does. No problem with any Uniti product though.

Try to delete the app and install again.
Also restart your router and wait, then restart the Ndx2.

1 Like

As a matter of interest have you specifically set your wifi to turn off overnight?
Any reason?

I am really bashful and perplexed. I have installed I don’t know how many times app and version of the streamer. I haven’t changed anything, but really nothing, about the home network, but only because I wouldn’t really know where to put my hands and since all, just all the other connected devices (including two other streamers) work perfectly , I don’t want to do bigger damage. So I’ve been doing the same maneuvers for days and days. I turn on, I turn off, it doesn’t find the device. I continue, finds the device, doesn’t connect to Tidal. I turn on I turn off I find the device, it connects to Tidal but it doesn’t start playing. I turn on, turn off it plays but it stops every ten to fifteen seconds, pauses, and resumes playing from where it stopped. I turn on I turn off it plays a song or two in a row and then it starts again (to be precise I turn on and off means endless times trying to find and reach the device). After a day of work this is all very relaxing. As of last night ( remember: I have changed nothing but nothing at all) everything seems to be working again. I can hear what I want for as long as I want, as often as I want. But what can it be? I live in an apartment building, can it be a neighbor’s network? And if so what can I do?

Depending on your wifi setup, it may be that your two different control points are each using a different channel. Whichever control point isn’t functioning with the app, close all open apps including the Naim one, then switch off the control point. When restarting just open the Naim app and see if that resolves the issue. It is also worth trying the earlier suggestions, such that if you restart the router, power off your control point first.

I can’t see you have mentioned your control point / device.
Can you detail what you are using, OS version and app version?

Do you have a pc or laptop? If so, can you log into Tidal ok ?

I’m using an iPad and a netgear router
The ND5XS is and always has been connected via Wi-Fi.
And i do not have any connetting issues to Tidal with other device (including iPhone, iPad, mcMini, Bluesound Node, Goldnote IS1000)

A suggestion if you wish to troubleshoot your connection issues. Connect the Naim streamer via patch cable, direct to your router. In addition, an ethernet adaptor for your iPad is very cheap, which will allow a patch cable also direct to your router. That will by-pass your wifi.
Is your wifi part of the Netgear router - model number would be helpful?

Edit - one thing you might try, which has been an issue, previously with routers not fully performing. If the control point and the streamer are not on the same wifi band, one being on 2.4ghz and one being on 5ghz, then that may be the cause. Nothing to do with the app or streamer, but you could try turning off, one of the bands on your router. If you are in an apartment block, the router may be hopping about to find an uncongested band / channel.