The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Great venue to see Bonamassa, near perfect I’d image!

I auditioned on 5th and got them on the 13th Jan. my dealer had his demo set and 4 sets on order , I was lucky !

3 Likes

It was 2008 I think?:thinking:
He was on his way home from the east, India was his last stop I believe.
He did a few small venues in the UK and we got to see him there. Right at the front, close enough that I could have reached out and touched him…

How many analogue inputs on the 222? Could I swap my 282 for the forthcoming 333 and still have my CDS3, Nat 05 and Xerxes?

Who’s your dealer ? and has he got any stock @ Music matters Straford Upon Avon … come on Richard :slight_smile:

Loud & Clear. Best dealers around imho !

It has a TT input plus a din and also an rca input.

Thanks mate.

You could still upgrade in your existing setup
XPS/555 PSU to 272 or simply replace your 272.
Not sure XP5XS match new kit ?

Maybe a cheaper way of doing upgrade is a partly change instead of loosing a lot of money of old kit which still is “good enough”

Interesting if new 250 betters your 300DR, guess its a matter of your speakers.

Note that the turntable input is for MM cartridges. If you use a MC cartridge then you will a step up transformer (to boost to MM levels) or will need to use a phono stage on either the DIN or RCA line level inputs.

2 Likes

I think the Phono stage can be turned off so you can use it as another RCA?

To be clear:
Why should the new classic line sounds better than the classic line?
Why should i replace my 272 for a 222, sounds it really better?..
Ok, don’t have Qobuz, so i use Tidal, simple…
And for really listening music i use my Melco with high res stuff, sounds great!!
I had a serious demo yesterday, the sound of the 222 without 300 impressed me not, it really was ok, but that is all…but great anyway….

A happy classic line Naim fan……

Ps Speakers are great PROAC Response K6, the Nap 300 DR really handled those speakers better than the Nap 250 DR…

4 Likes

I’m not sure that’s entirely fair. Any brand new kit from Naim is exciting, but plenty of us are still running Naim kit that’s 20, 30, 40 or even 50 years old and still doing what Naim does best.
P.s. ok, I see you have edited.

9 Likes

It’s perfectly acceptable to stay where you are and be happy. The fear of missing out will be too strong for some to resist but many will, by neccessity, be staying with their systems unchanged, myself amongst those!
Also bare in mind there’s only a few 200 New Classic systems that can be considered actually run in. Anything at a dealer is barely breaking in after a few days of short bursts of demos.
The positive here is that for many there is a bridge between Old and New Series and a viable upgrade path to cover many years ahead.
Naim are also better than almost any manufacturer at providing long term maintenance so the lifecycle of any product is determined by the owner not Naim. There’s many happy owners out there with systems decades old, which, if serviced at suitable intervals will continue to provide excellent service and enjoyment to their owner.

8 Likes

RIP Les Gray.

1 Like

Ooh, are you sure about that? I read that the stage can be disabled, but I assumed that meant entirely, not that the plugs could be used as standard RCA input. Nice if so!

2 Likes

Some first impressions.

My system is built around a Supernait 2 with a HiCap DR. For digital sources I use an NDX2 powered by an XPS-2 external power supply. I have been very satisfied with the performance of this combination. I had intended sometime upgrading the XPS-2 to DR specification or possibly replacing it with the 555PS. The announcement of the New Classic range took me in a different direction.

Last week I collected a new NPX 300 and the required Legacy Burndy cable (an odd looking thing with a single plug at the source end and 2 plugs - Type 3 and Type 4 - at the power supply end).

Having swopped it for the XPS-2 and run it continuously I must say that I am very impressed with the sound. Although initially a little bright sounding, with time the sounds appears to be improving. The main difference from my previous combination is the much improved clarity and definition - not unlike going from standard definition tv to high definition - and a considerably improved sound stage. My dealer suggests that it should be ‘better than an XPS and almost as good as a 555’ and having previouly demoed both I would tend to agree.

I’m enjoying revisiting my music collection - much of it stored on a Uniti Core and some on a Melco Music Library - and finding the improved presentation very satisfying.

13 Likes

I had a look and a listen to the new 222, 250 and 300PS on a recent demo day.

Regarding looks, I actually thought they look better than the old classic stuff.

Regarding sound, it’s very different to what I have (obviously huge caveats with regards to run-in). It’s very crisp, clean and musical. Very controlled. A sound that would never give you listening fatigue and would always enjoy.

My system sounds more real or “live”. Amazing bass from 300 and detail from Kudos 606s.
I will be staying put with what I’ve got and prefer the sound. (£24k vs £33k system so perhaps no surprise).

Every ear is different though, and the New Classic stuff is very good, just different.

Nb: one chap I talked to thought it sounded more like Linn. I have no idea though, as never demoed.

5 Likes

Not sure, no. I think I read the same thing as you but assumed the input would still be useable.

1 Like

They certainly looks great