The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Where’s the image from?

Stageline replacement maybe, but Superline?
I’m curious as I only recently bought a Superline and HCDR

The Sanken power transistors you can see in that photo are for the low power DR PSUs. They power the small signal balanced input circuits only.

There’s a whole row of fabulous NA009 power transistors below that PCB!

14 Likes

I must admit, it does fall foul of the “New Improved, Original Recipe” oxymoron…
Surely its either “New and Improved” or “Original” :man_shrugging:t4:

So, I am building a new home office/man cave, and I was resolved to get a SN3 and NDX2 in 2023. I think I shall have to reconsider. I am loving this 3-box (expandable to 4 boxes with 2 power supplies) form factor, in particular as the streamer/pre probably could be swapped out for an upgrade in a few years without having to buy a new power amplifier and perhaps without having to buy a new external power supply. I am smitten by the looks, anyway. Can’t wait to listen, but my dealer went belly-up, so I will have to travel a bit to do so. Well done, Naim!

3 Likes

From naim web page. I don’t think those are power transistors. They would need cooling plates.

2 Likes

Technically yes.
I doubt you’ll notice while the volume is going up and down. It’s in Statement and works great.

3 Likes

Yes, pricey here in the US but time will tell. But IMO the new pieces look great and ,as always, seem very nicely built. Another thing I like is that you don’t have to be a mid-thirties weight lifter to move them around. Sadly my days of lugging 80lb audio equipment are over. I am also enjoying a more simplified life. A 222/250 plus a turntable and speakers has real appeal. Looking forward to seeing them in person.

6 Likes

When I was working at BAC at Weybridge in 1970 the management arranged for Concorde to fly over as only the Bristol employees had seen it up to to that time. Olympus engines were really noisy!

7 Likes

You can add just the NAP250 to your Atom HE. The PSU is not needed and can’t be connected

5 Likes

The balance control is in the App

3 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks very much.

wow this is quite exciting, I am very curious to hear and read reviews of how the 250DR compares to the new 250.

and the 222 has the statement trickle down volume control, should sound really very good.

now if only I had the money… sadly I will be slumming it with my classic 282/HCDR/250DR which took years and years of savings… anyway my system sounds great to me as it is.

well done on the move to XLR connections !

5 Likes

Any idea if the DAC technology is anything new? I read this in the NSC222 brochure, which sounds like it isn’t a dramatic departure?

•Naim’s proprietary DSP 705.6kHz/768kHz integer
oversampling filter.
•PCM1791A DAC Custom polystyrene ultralow
dielectric absorption Post DAC filter components

3 Likes

Ouch.

4 Likes

With your system i am pretty sure it is a sidestep rather than an upgrade, so nothing to be sad about :slight_smile:

I’m not going to read this entire thread to find out but…

…has anyone noticed that a CDS3 would slot into this system beautifully? Outwardly they are very similar. :thinking:

It would be nice to see Naim bring out a decent level CD player in this range. Time will tell.

8 Likes

From the naim site product page.

1 Like

It looks to be the same chip as in the ND5XS2 but as with all DAC chips it does not really tell you much about how it will perform.

3 Likes

Agree on HDMI. But it is no breaker for me.

2 Likes