The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Haha I like that. I’m a geologist so use biology, chemistry and physics to make up stories about the earths past. Think I’m at the far left then :joy:

2 Likes

I think this is absolutely right, market is going to be flooded for a while, with ex-demo stuff coming from the dealers and then trade-ins. Once it’s all settled down, I think prices will inevitable come back up - there are plenty of people who will still want to build high quality Naim systems without being able to stretch to the new prices. I have a 300dr that I may want to move on down the road, my thinking is ex demo is very cheap at the moment but they will become very desirable in the future when compared to the price of the incoming 300 monos - we’ll see.

6 Likes

Is there really going to be a flood of people replacing a 250DR with a NC 250?
272 replaced by a 222 I can see, old for new but the 250?

Re the classified prices across the board. It’s January and we are in a near recession. No surprise.

Just running my HCDR/82/250DR at the mo. I can’t imagine that nc 300/222/250 is going to be anywhere near an improvement relative to the cost to change.

12 Likes

In the NSP222 setup there is an option to configure it as a UPNP server. it would be interesting to see how it performs as one with an SSD plugged into the rear USB. Are there any new owners who use this option. Please tell?

1 Like

Just back from a lovely 2 hours with the @Cymbiosis team, thanks for the warm welcome, teas and demo

Perfect demo room, and another plus for me is the speakers and cable this morning same as my system Kudos T505 and Kudos Speaker cable

The system has been in the demo room for a couple of weeeks now and nicely warmed up for me, so took in a cup of tea and started

First track In the Gallery Dire Straits, followed by a selection of my personal favs which I play a lot of my own system Ryan Adam, Peter Gabriel, Tori Amos, Al Stewart, Elton John, Elbow to name a few most of the tracks off thier server and a few on Qubos

First impressions overal very musical, foot tapping and very engaging yes the Naim signature with a warm relaxed analogue delivery the 3 boxes certainly worked well together and a lovely match with the Kudos T505, overall the music :notes: was certainly there , which you should expect for 17k plus 7K speakers

For me the slight down side was the music only got really engaging and drew you in when the volume was around 50 plus, that to me was the sweet spot at lower volumes the detail really seem to struggle and the separation was not focused, good mid and top end but lack of bass

the 250 is a lovely AMP but needed to be driven to get the best from it that being said the boogie was evident over 50 +

OK, so now the possible contentious part where would I put the NSC 222 Pre AMP delivery vs Classic range above 202 yes, but probably below 282/HICAP and certainly not at 282/SCDR level we know where the DAC is from in the NSC222

What I can say for me it’s some way off my current 252/300DR in focus, detail, separation and musicality, but that is not a negative on the new system it’s my view having used nearly all the separates in NAIM

As ever best to go and get a demo and you decide

46 Likes

You’re speaking for yourself here.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I found Antz. I wondered if some of it was down to listening to the demo Focal Sopra1s vs my Kudos (assuming my 606s could find more detail and realism). However, you listened to Kudos and found similar.

The “new” sound is lovely, just different to the classic stuff. I’m not sure the new stuff will gain more detail, separation and realism with more burn-in, but time will tell. Musicality is difficult to define, but both systems are very musical and this will be down to taste.

If you’re higher up in the classic range, I wouldn’t be panicking at all. The price points would suggest that too.

I wonder what the sound signature of the new 300 series will be like???

6 Likes

Pretty much where i came out on it…….
i need to listen again some time i was left with a feeling that i might not want to listen for long periods?

2 Likes

I believe this is why I might have preferred the Atom HE over the NDX2 (I know, and it may be purely personal) and this is why I would like and planning to arrange a demo with the bare 222 and see how much it might improve in the same direction (if it’s the same and of the NC sound signature), which I seem to prefer. I feel it’s closer to what I am hearing from my Nait 2 in terms of transparency, speed, rhythm, groove and airiness. If the 222 (and the new streamer DAC to come) takes this further, I would be tempted.

2 Likes

Just played some of the tracks from this morning again at home Yep my thoughts and ears were correct

3 Likes

Chimes with what my dealer suggests…refreshing honesty.

1 Like

I know with the S1-pre kit, the resistor-ladder volume control is very unlike the Alps pots, in that you can easily go to indicated 50% on the S1’s visual scale and it won’t be loud, unlike on the Alps where this would be very high/loud indeed. Sometimes with the Alps (IME), you can also get a sudden uplift in power low-down the scale. The resistor ladder is very sensitively calibrated.

Also, I’ve always found Naim kit to sound much more detailed on the ear when freshly switched on/is in warm-up phase – and when the bass comes on song this detailing tends to recede in the wider musical ‘picture’.

3 Likes

When I had another amp with a step ladder volume it would be at about 65 where my Supernait 3 sits at 9pm.

I was going off the numbers on the NSC,

It will be interesting to follow the second hand prices, worldwide if possible.
Guess a 272 will be an often trade-in item to dealer shelf.
272 could be very a “affordable” item soon, as 222 seem to be a mega seller.

I can foresee a Nova/Superuniti successor later on, in new classic design.

1 Like

Well I know religion did. No big surprise there, but science? Really? Cite.

1 Like

I believe CrazyRiver mentioned the following disproved theory :-

1 Like

I’m sure plenty of people ready to make the jump to upgrade to the New Classic range. Maybe I am speaking for myself as an Atom owner considering buying a 222 and NAP250 over the next few years. In my case first integrating a NAP250 with an Atom seems a slightly awkward step from the point of getting the best from the power amp considering the source and possible speakers at a lower price point. Doesn’t mean I won’t be going for a listen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I bet it sounded great. I was impressed by the scale and grip of the bass. The new 250 is very special.

4 Likes

No mention of a replacement for the NAP 300DR?

1 Like