The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Just trying to help and ease on the guilt trip in Salisbury. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Don’t like it at all, looks naf in my opinion. That volume control wheel looks daft. :joy:
Love how everything says “designed” in Salisbury not made in.

Made in china?

1 Like

Just received the Naim “Welcome to a new era in sound” newsletter and really liking the text and Naim volume control & balance graphic representation for the number 200…

6 Likes

A quick look at the rear panel images of each new product on Naim’s website states ‘Designed and Made in England’ so that’s a relief, especially at the suggested price level. It does make one question the wording of the initial product description.

Personally I like the look the the new range. To me they look like a separates version of the Unity range. Will the new styling filter down to the XS and Si ranges eventually?

1 Like

Nothing new here, UK made products have always been far more expensive in Canada vs the UK to CAD exchange rate. Same as made in Canada products are always far more expensive in the UK vs the CAD to UK exchange.

As someone living in Canada, take the UK price including VAT, double that & that typically gets you in the ballpark of what a UK product will cost you from a CDN dealer (before taxes here).

As for the new look, basically what I was expecting when looking at the design of all their newer products. Personally I like/think the case work on the classic series will probably age better then this newer more contemporary design (as I find typically contemporary design doesn’t tend to age well). As a number have posted, the drop down in the center isn’t my favorite (but once stacked in the Fraim probably doesn’t matter much). I don’t like the fins along the side as much as the previous smooth sides & the volume knob it a bit on the large size for my taste. Though I’m sure many will like the more modern design language.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder New Classic 250 or used 300DR hmmmmmmm

6 Likes

Wondering how the new 250 will compare to the current nap300. I have been waiting for the nsc 222 and was intending to use with a nap300dr. I could save a box and go with the new 250 but is that a retrograde step. I’m sure my dealer will help me decide :grimacing:

4 Likes

I like that the new boxes are further up the classic range than the 282/250 and with PS approaching 252 level. I was planning on sitting tight and waiting for these to hit the s/h market but I may need to do a home demo and see what these sound like.

2 Likes

The 200 series. And 300 :wink: Might be more logical in the future :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Oh yes, slap on wrist!

Are they though? What have you seen that suggests they are better than 282/250?

3 Likes

It would also be great to get an update on which products shall be discontinued in the near future but i understand that Naim will only tell us when the new price list goes to the dealers.

I bet the manuals (or lack of if they go Uniti route) won’t help either :wink:

To clarify, while the online current Uniti product ‘manuals’ must have taken a lot of time to produce they involve far too many clicks for a casual ‘read through’ - PDFs would really help, paper would be even better but less environmentally friendly I guess.

This is great news, the classic range will now get more used bits of kit on the market and the price of the classic range will drop.

4 Likes

Sorry if it’s already been answered but could the NSC222 be used directly with older CB/olive/Classic powered active SBLs etc?

At first sight I did not like the look of the NSC 222 - the knob just looked odd. But on reflection I think its a very good modernisation of the preamp look.

NAP 250 and the NPX 300 look stunning, and i expect they sound wonderful too. Is this what I will downsize to when the time comes?

There’s a single ended output on RCA Phonos so you should be able to connect the pre-out signal to the PS on a SNAXO with an RCA Phono to DIN4 cable.

2 Likes

Hi Richard, is it foreseeable that the new aesthetic (the preamplifier is very nice for me) will be extended to the integrated ones (XS, Supernait, etc)?
Thanks.
Maurizio

I’d assumed it would be feasible, but perhaps I should have clarified in terms of whether or not this would be an officially supported usage, hopefully official Naim interconnects rather than 3rd party workarounds.

It sounds like it based on the demo by the Cymbiosis. Closer to the 252/SCDR is the expression used.