The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

200, 300…

8 Likes

You can use an optical cable to use it with the tv unless you really need the hdmi arc features. I had several hdmi arc devices hooked up to my tv and while it worked most of the time i use optical now which is more reliable but needs an additional remote to control the volume

2 Likes

Yup, I’m looking forward to a NSC 322? 333?

3 Likes

I think they look quite well, what would be nice would be a Mk2 Nova in a similar package as the 222, the current Nova is a clumsy design imo. Can only presume the second hand prices of the current classics such as my NDX2 and SN3 are going to drop putting the new series out of reach for me as trade in prices will be poor, a revised Nova that sounded really good would be tempting though and possibly within reach….

2 Likes

That sounds right - the NAC12 was joined by the NAC32 in ‘77 and was essentially similar but with additional inputs and facilities (could take two sets of phono boards).

1 Like

There was an NAC22, I think…?

Yes, see my post further up. It was an entry level unit to partner the NAP120 and eventually replaced in ‘79 by the NAC42.

2 Likes

Thanks, I missed that, Iwent straight to to the specs and didn’t read the key points

1 Like

Good question :+1:

1 Like

Was having exactly the same thought, especially after reading the full chat, maybe a go fund me page for beer money for @Richard.Dane :rofl:
:wink: Many thanks Richard for your patience and wisdom. Now, about vinyls…:rofl:

4 Likes

You guys crack me up with this logo colour stuff. Sorry but who cares? Is it really beyond Naim to replace the existing logos. I assume not

Curiosity got the best of me. Called me dealer for a demo. They should get the new kit by month end. If the new 250 is significantly better than the 250 DR I will probably get it. Was thinking 300 but really don’t want to add an extra shelf and to deal with more burndies.

4 Likes

Agree. Could as well be pink!

Thanks Marc.

Funnily enough, I’m listening to some of my “vinyls” as I type. I’m lost in the music of JM Jarre. It’ll have to do in place of beer or wine as I try not to drink during the first half of the week…,

P.s. just in case anybody is wondering, my “old” Naim system is sounding utterly wonderful this evening, so just because there’s some new kit coming doesn’t mean the old stuff doesn’t do it any more…

45 Likes

Nice to have MM on board, is a separate box for MC in the offing? Guess MC would’ve pushed the price point.

Probably a good idea or you may well be contributing to the bent cantilever thread🤣

1 Like

Sanw here. Bought most of my Naim upgrades from ebay from trusted dealers at good discouts.

3 Likes

I think that I remember reading that the control amps are numbered according to the the order in which work started on their design.

For example, work started on the 52 before the 62, but the 52 was so complex and took so long that the 62 (on which work had started later) was released first.

Not very elegantly explained, but I believe that it’s correct.

That method of numbering obviously changed when the 252 and 552 came out. If there’s an explanation as to how those got their model numbers, I don’t know (or have forgotten) it.

3 Likes

Im sure I spoke on behalf of us all :pray:t4:

1 Like

Does anyone know if the NSC 222 can be specced without the MM phono stage? I would assume at this level of performance most record player users would be using MC carts?

2 Likes