The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I’ve seen 500 DR’s go for as little as £7500 on the old auction sites, so not far off! …and that includes the power supply :P. …but then you have the 500 service costs in the future.

What are the service costs on the New series going to be? This is partly what stopped me going full 500 and moving sideways.

Do they even need servicing?! Asked this earlier, perhaps @110dB could tell us please?

1 Like

I’m booked in for the Naim 200 Demonstration Day at Cymbiosis on Tuesday, 14/03/23. Anyone else else booked in?

Thought that we’d go and check out the new kit and see what they’re like in the flesh and sound like.

Been to Kudos demonstration day at Cymbiosis previously, so hopefully this should be a fun day out.

DG….

If they haven’t reinvented capacitors that doesn’t age then yes, service would be needed as previous boxes :blush:

3 Likes

Pop a reminder in the calendar for January 2033.

2 Likes

But there are capacitors that last a lot longer than the type Naim use. (And sound better IMO).
Sikorel will last 57 years at 60c. So most Naim users will probably be dead by the time they need replacing.

3 Likes

What makes you think that Naim owners have shorter lifespans than the rest of the population?:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Because a lot of them are already 60 + years old :crazy_face::crazy_face:

13 Likes

I spoke with Udo Besser from AVM audio in Germany recently when he was visiting NZ. I asked about recapping for his amplifiers. He indicated that they put some random capacitors through accelerated aging torture tests and that they can last at least 25 years.

3 Likes

We might see different recapping periods for Naim with the new range. It’s yet to be established but the periods have inched a few years longer with every major series change.

While caps degrade just sitting on the shelf, constant use accelerates that. The standby power supplies and soft start circuits on the New Classic might push the recap and servicing periods even further. Certainly, the new RL volume control should need less care than the old potentiometers.

Maybe @110dB has some forecasting numbers for servicing and recapping of the New Classics?

1 Like

Yep including me Bjorn :grinning::grinning::+1:

I missed seeing him in Auckland thanks to the storms. Did you get to listen to their gear? I heard the new Linn Klimax DSM into one of their power amps and thought it was very good. I wonder with your 272 whether you might be best just adding a modern transport to your system, like a Lumin U1 - relatively cheap in the context of a good system?

1 Like

The new 250 has a lot more drive, weight speed and slam than the 250DR. Plus it has a much lower noise floor to let more info through.

I’m hearing details I’ve never heard before.

It should work great with your current system as long as your okay with boxes that don’t match.

I wasn’t super impressed with the 222/300 probably because I have the NDX2/TT 252DR.

I’d keep what you have and add the NC250 until the other new boxes are released. The NC250 was a massive upgrade in my set-up.

4 Likes

I listened to a $40,000 AVM CS6.3 streaming preamp paired with an AVM SA 6.3 amplifier. Truely excellent and what a lovely man he was to meet. The amplifiers were built superbly well and easy to use.
As for the lumin, a may make an enquiry. The thing with me is that having it installed as a trial makes me feel obligated to buy it. And I hate that.

1 Like

Maybe just wait to see if naim introduce a 300 series one box streamer preamp IDAK ?

After all if Linn and other manufacturers do it why can’t Naim :grinning:

My feeling is they may not go that way as might eat into the 300 separates that will probably be introduced

1 Like

@Bevo i reckon I’d be fine and dandy the 222 as is. Looks like the Lumin U1 Mike suggest is $18000 so the 222 looks good value. I am not interested in going higher up the naim range as 272 is so good.

2 Likes

Ah, I meant the U1 mini at $3,500.00. It’s a streaming transport only that you would input into the 272 as a digital source. It would give all the modern streaming functionality. Soundline sell them.

That’s what I had and did and it worked great :blush::+1:

2 Likes

Thank you Mike! I’m really liking what I’m hearing from the Goldnote amplifier when it comes to depth, width and detail. I like the lower noice floor and smoother delivery but might be missing some of the vitality of the Naim. However, when listening through the NDS the drive and punch gets closer to the Naim and know I’m not so sure where the balance is the best.

@nicnaim I plugged the 82/Hicap in to replace the Goldnote pre and it got more visceral but soundstage shrunk and it got less composed or more difficult to hear what was going on and to follow the music. I now thought the sound was a bit too much with the 82. Too fat and unclean. To be fair it was just plugged in and cold. I really shouldn’t have done it since I hadn’t the patience to let it warm up😬.

It’ll be interesting to get the Goldnote amplifier out of the system and see what the trusted old 82/250DR delivers after this period of testing.

Sorry if this is perceived as thread drift. It wasn’t my intention and I aim to get the possibility to try the new Naim gear in one way or another. I didn’t really get on with the 282 and preferred the 82 so the 252 hasn’t found its way here since I thought they’d be from the same cloth. It sure will be interesting to see and hear the new preamplifiers coming out later.

1 Like

While some minor thread drift is fine, could we please try to keep the thread on topic (Naim’s New Classic kit, if you need reminding) as much as possible. Thanks.

3 Likes