The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Sorry, I don’t have experience with Tannoy.

Yes, it’s true the Harbeth particularly SHL5+ and C7ES3 are very good in preserving tonal accuracy of acoustic instruments such as violins or guitars. They mainly fall short in speed and dynamics. With human voice reproduction, the Harbeth (or other BBC speakers) are some of the best in the business. I currently own a modern speaker, the Marten Duke 2 and although it sounds more open and plays with better clarity, detail and dynamics than the Harbeth, one area it falls short is in reproducing the human voice. It’s not that it’s bad but when you compare 2 things, one will inevitably sound better.

2 Likes

I do Slamdam but this time I apparently missed it by a few months…:wink: But I remember you never got along with yours Harbeth speakers.

Similarly, I have heard all Harbeth models before the introduction of the XD models. It dates back to 12 years ago when I was at the dealer comparing the C7ES3, SHL5 (non-Plus during that time) and M30 back to back for about an hour before I picked the SHL5. I actually preferred the sound quality of the C7ES3 to SHL5 but picked the latter as I wanted a larger box to fill a big room. The M30 sounded worst to me with an overly warm and coloured sound. The SHL5+ sounds more accurate and precise than the older SHL5 while the C7ES3 sounds warmer in comparison and as you say, more involving likely due to the warm organic touch. The SHL5+ sounds leaner and brighter and have a little bit of the “modern speaker” sound.

I think you got it right. Beautiful and natural tonality but rhythmically polite. After swapping the SHL5+ for the Marten Duke 2, I found the bass of the SHL5+ to be lacking. Since the bass of the C7ES3 does not go as low as the SHL5+, the bass of the C7ES3 would sound even more lacking. There may be speakers that retain all the strengths of the Harbeth but sound more snappy and dynamic. However, I have yet to find one. Since I don’t listen to much vocals these days, the Marten suits me well. I mostly listen to contemporary classical piano and guitars, mostly instrumental music and some jazz fusion.

1 Like

A screen capture of a text message conversation where one participant, sharing some sad news, thinks "lol" means "lots of love"

From an old Reddit thread

5 Likes

I also thought it meant lots of love it was my great kids pointed it out to me.

3 Likes

True. I found SHL5 Plus bit to lean and midrange focused giving me listening fatigue. But as I understand it SHL5 Plus sticks out in the Harbeth range with the other models being bit more relaxed. They do mids great. Leonard Cohen on SHL5 Plus is to die for. But I also found them bit too pushy in that region and with a bit IMO lean bass response I never got the “full band” engagement that Tannoy give me in spades. They also need loads of wattage to get going. The dual concentric coaxial speaker design Tannoy use give a different presentation. They do not measure perfectly flat which is not what they are about. But in the time domain due to the speaker design they are awesome painting huge scale soundscapes in small rooms which suite me perfect. I believe your Rauna use similar speaker design (seas) so you have heard its benefits yourself :slightly_smiling_face: Would love to get a listen to those speakers on day. Originally they were built close to me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How can you assert such a thing? Are you sure?

Have you seen a thorough and comprehensive comparison on the forum, or on the net? Or just non-concrete descriptions, how good is the new product?!

And what then is relevant to you? If you refer to direct and personal experience, I agree. But I imagine you don’t base your purchasing choices on the tastes or feelings of others, right?

Definitely.
And therefore I wrote what I think about the current hype…

strategic choices, profitability goals, and an industrial plan that could change over time. Sound quality, on the other hand, comes from many factors: the level of technology achieved, know-how, project objectives, and finally also from the price positioning, but not only from that.

Let me disagree with you on this point-
I don’t think, moreover, that the new product uses “new technology” to optimize the musical result, compared to the 300.
(I listened to the new 250, for only a few minutes, connected to a system similar to mine)
This is a nice product, which at the end of the day represents a kind of compromise between the generations and appeals mainly to an audience that is not familiar with Naim products, at the entry level.

After my 222 finally seemed to be burned in it was time to give some attention to the cables. The 222 feeds Neumann KH420 speakers so I only need 1 XLR interlink and 3 for power. The 222 reacts to everything that’s connected to it. Sometimes it may sound technically better but after a day or so I revert back to the previous setup because I miss the Naim sound.

I ended with the standard power cable. The Atom HE sounded a little dull with this cable but for the 222 it sounded the best, not dull at all. I compared with Supra and Wireworld. These are not very expensive so maybe there are better options.

Someone mentioned the Mogami’s as ‘good’ XLR’s. I compared these with an Atlas Mavros and that really is no compare. When you spend a fortune for these Naim babies please don’t use cheap xlr cables. The Atlas Mavros is many times better.

1 Like

Yes, I have seen some reviews (posted here also), despite the new series having just come out. But most importantly, I was able to test them directly, having both systems (new and old series) here. I have not compared them directly with the NAP 300 DR, so I cannot say whether the NAP 250 NC is better or worse, other said yes. I would not describe what someone on the forum wrote about the new series as non-concrete description. We can say that they are subjective feelings, like mine, and like all reviews. Speculations? Yes, but you will never find an objective comparison because each of us hears with our own ears.

I wouldn’t call it hype. If there are people who are more than happy with the new series, I would say that Naim has done an excellent job. Who would say it’s a great product if it isn’t? We’re not competing for a review award here. I’m not convinced there is Naim fundamentalism, especially on products of this cost.

Yes, the new series uses a redesigned circuit with some new technology and components derived from the Statement, as Naim has stated on this forum. But most importantly, I don’t understand how you can complain about the lack of serious and concrete comparisons with many hours of listening or say that it’s a compromise for an audience that is not familiar with Naim products when you were listening to the new series for only a few minutes? I respect your comments, but allow me to say that what you are contesting is exactly how you are approaching on this topic.

1 Like

@David

Yes, you’re spot on.

To remove the NPX 300: Unplug the two Burndys from the NSC 222, add the link plugs and put the mains plug back in the NSC 222.

…The NSC 222 and NPX 300 don’t need an optical cable to synchronise, they have a coms bus in the larger digital PSU Burndy.

4 Likes

Mogami has different cables, which one did you try?

The 2534 quad with Neutrik gold

I use 2549 Neglex, like it a lot

Different speakers for different tastes. I have experience with many Paradigm speakers, ATC SCM-19, Sonus faber Venere 2.0, Totem Tribe Towers, etc.
My current Harbeth C7es3-XD are the best of the bunch to my ears. I do not find them lacking in speed and dynamics either. If I get picky with them, they do not have subwoofer like bass, but in my smallish room, they pack a punch nonetheless. Sorry for going off topic.

12 Likes

You still live near Trollhättan Slamdam, right? Hifipunkten has Oden set up in its store, I suspect. Then you are always welcome to take a trip to Borås if you want :slightly_smiling_face:

Never lived in those areas :slight_smile: The founder Bo Hansson started out building what would become Rauna in the early 80’s in Karlskoga which is close to where I live but he left the company mid 80’s to start building speakers under the record company name Opus3. In 2011 when Bo died Hifi Punkten bought the molds and started production again.

Okay! I had imagined that you lived outside Trollhättan! Sorry :smile:

My last Naim gear was a 72/140/Hicap, sold nearly 25 years ago. I loved the sound for 95% of my music, but my lounge couldn’t cope with many U2, Buddy Holly double-bass or similar tracks. In fact my Lounge didn’t like Linn or anything else! until room correction in TAG McLaren gear solved the boomy bass room peaks.

Now retired, and able for the first time, to have a separate music room upstairs in former kids bedroom, I’ve been pondering returning to Naim, and so travelled 65 miles to a friendly dealer who I have bought headphone and DAC gear from, to hear this latest range at their demo day. Naim put on 3 separate sittings, and the audience were able to choose tracks which was a pleasant surprise in such packed rooms. Rounded off my some nice coffee and snacks.

Obviously NPX300 added depth and opened up the sound (I had been hoping difference was fairly negligible with hearing problems I’ve recently suffered!) so as the cost would be in reach, but not the case. Still very nice presentation with 2 boxes though.

Of course, while demo was great at hearing this range which is certainly more neutral (good or bad) from my old gear, playing through £30K plus speakers makes judgement difficult. But the lovely dealer is lending me a NC 222/250 over next weekend so I can try in my much smaller room and with my PMC GBi’s.

Hoping to rejoin the Naim owners club, let’s see!

27 Likes

Couple of questions before arrival of units, online manual says NAP 250 ‘comes with dedicated Naim Audio loudspeaker connectors’. I take it we are talking standard banana plugs? (Remember once eagerly getting a Tag Power Amp home then finding I needed to get speaker cables re-wired as it only accepted silly Euro connectors!)

I am still using Naim speaker cables bought 1992, manual recommends NAC A5, any long term Naim owners know what my wires will be?

Just wondering if my listening room (converted bedroom) justifies such quality components? As shown in photo, layout is in sideways/landscape position and chairs to speakers only about 6-7 feet away.

Any other owners using in smallish room or close listening distance?

7 Likes