The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

As I understand the new power supply can be used on the NDX2. However, is it possible for it to power a Superline?

(Might be worth considering investing in the new power supply as the purpose seems to be more of an universial box, but still working with some classic components.)

Well first off, well done naim for updating the range.

I personally think it looks great, its more modern looking without losing the classic look.
Obviously more to come, which in itself is also good news, but about time really.
The 250 looks to be the real star to me, a much loved amplifier that deserves a big revamp, as the outgoing one was a very old design, apart from the dr upgrade.
The streamer/amp, to me is more a catch up rather than anything new. But still glad to see its finally here.
Lastly, i feel its strange that naim has gone away from its din connections, after all the fuss it has made over the years about them, but then also glad to see Xlr’s, a pain for many if you already have din cables and make the swap. But it does also question all the other odd stuff that goes on, or told about, etc.

But once again well done and look forward to seeing the other new kit come out this year

4 Likes

No, it can’t power a Superline. For that you need either a suitable powered AUX2 socket, a Flatcap, Hicap, or Supercap.

4 Likes

Hopefully. I am on the sniff for a 555ps to replace the XPSdr. Interesting how close the new power supply comes to the 555. Their new versus 2nd hand respective prices are similar.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick and clear response!

Naim are still very much for using DINs. Steve explained earlier why the rationale for going over to a balanced connection between the pre-and power amp. However DIN source connections are still very much favoured.

4 Likes

A Nova and a 250DR? I don’t understand? That is not new Classic.

I think that’s what pslosarc had before…

Ah yes I saw that now. :grimacing:

And an interesting comparison as the nova and 250 is quite a potent combination.

this upgrade is also in my mind :+1:

2 Likes

I would be interested to see how much difference there is between Nova/NAP250 (new) and NSC222/NAP250 (new). Unless there is significant difference then might make upgrading cheaper!

1 Like

We have the same set-up…whoever goes first must report findings! Not many 5555s about and holding prices for now.
With luck someone will report the new power supply is as good and prices will go like my Bitcoin.

2 Likes

From memory, the Nova has no power supply upgrade option? This could be deciding a factor in terms of future plans.

None in mentioning any posso future for preamp power suppliers: hicap dr and supercap dr…I m thinking about 282, if it will have a balanced successor what about my loved hi cap dr?

Indeed but my domestic circumstances are such that I could go from a one box to a two box system but not a third box so would not consider an NPX300 anyway

I’m salivating over these new products, but I’m repeating the mantra “I am happy with my Nova, I can’t spend that kind of money” :thinking:

3 Likes

Can the new power supply power the ndac?

1 Like

Naim should offer a camouflage colour option

3 Likes

Just to go back to the earlier questions about the conductors in speaker cables being forced apart when a signal travels through them, why not let MIT demonstrate the effect to you:

MIT Physics Demo – Forces on a Current-Carrying Wire - YouTube

In speaker cables, the two conductors are, as far as we need be concerned, in series with each other so they’ll be forced apart - not by as much as seen in the demo, but you can then maybe appreciate why NACA5 was intentionally designed to be so stiff, even though it’s sometimes irritating for us end users.

Mark

1 Like