The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

For users of the old amps with IR remote, there is a workaround for that if you happen to have a Sky Q or Apple TV: The Sky remote has a preconfigured option to control Naim amp volume in the remote settings, the Apple remote (at least mine from the new Apple TV) can learn the Naim remote commands (and that’s very easy to set up).

So then you can use the optical TV output with fixed volume to the Naim streamer, and then control the preamp volume by IR.

2 Likes

Green Sharpie anyone? :thinking:
DF0E106C-3DA7-45B7-A9B0-1DD2947BEFF6
:grin:

3 Likes

The volume control from Statement is a big part of it’s sound. These were the deciding factors:

• Sound quality (better resistive elements in fixed resistors than potentiometers and less microphonic)
  • Long life (IIRC tested 1 million times)
  • Channel balance
  • precise app volume control
  • Volume level feedback
7 Likes

Over the years I have used the digital output of my SuperUniti to:

• Feed a separate DAC/headphone amplifier, ‘electrostatics’
  • I have used it with a separate DAC and power amp in my main system &
  • I have used it to feed my active speaker system through the digital output

So yes, whilst I may not be a typical Naim owner, I would miss the flexibility, especially as it seems they removed the analogue line output too. It feels that Naim have ‘limited’ a £6k item of equipment like they have the lower range newer Uniti boxes. We are not talking entry level money here!

5 Likes

From what I’ve read the entire Classic line up is going; pre, power and power supplies maybe with the exception of NAP300DR, though I don’t see why a single product would survive the axe.

Posted by @james_n

From Signals…

The new products will supplant NAC 282, NAC 252, NAP 250DR, Superline, HiCap DR and Supercap DR so these are all approaching end of life, even though some of the replacements have clearly yet to arrive.

Uniti, Nait XS, Supernait 3, ND 5XS 2, and NDX 2 all remain in production. Similarly, changes to the 500 series are not envisaged for a considerable period of time.

2 Likes

The Sales, Marketing and R&D teams all being enthusiasts with their own Naim systems have discussed this. The existing PSUs will continue to be made for those wanting complete system goals.

Marketing will release information for how long they will be manufactured when market feedback is complete.

5 Likes

Out of curiosity. For how many years have naim been working on these boxes? Roughly.

1 Like

But that suggests the 300DR is going to remain untouched

Just done an edit to that effect.

if Naim can update the input circuits of the NAP250, to Statement spec (so, Balanced XLR) , then clearly, the same could be done to other NAP’s. Doesn’t have to be, but could.

There was an almost legendary thread where a member had one item out of kilter and identifying it was a nightmare.

I am so, so glad I have a CD player, a phono stage and a Nova . That thread was the best advert for system simplification

2 Likes

I see a number of fundamental changes with the new range …
a) The use of balanced connectors
b) The “soft-switch-on” which is, I assume, to encourage users to switch things on and off and not leave things powered-up 24/7
c) The signal from the pre-amp is no longer routed through the external power supply (so what about star-earthing)?

5 Likes

444 is part of my number plate. Had it for years. A chinese friend will not travel in my car.

As a designer (and Naim enthusiast) I share your concerns…so we test, test and test.

A reed relay when used correctly is designed for over 100 million operations.
A good potentiometer is designed for 1 million.

It’s a little more complex than this but I hope this helps.

During dev IIRC the Statement volume control was tested 1 million times.

…and they sound great

8 Likes

Yes, I know I was just referring to the text of that statement by Signals which seemed categoric in the way it was worded.

You couldn’t bypass just the DAC stage with the 272 either. Otherwise, I’d have hung on to my nDAC when I got my 272.

Roger

1 Like

Thanks for that, much appreciated! And the rest of your replies above. Hope we’re not taking you away from anything that might delay the release of any other New Classic kit :smiley:

Don’t agree there. I prefer olive SUPERCAP to SUPERCAP 2. I prefer NAC 52 to 252. I prefer 135 to nap300 to name a few.

New design and new circuit technology doesn’t always produce a better audible result. What I do think this generation will achieve is streamlining the products- As there were some people who didn’t like the box count. For purists the older lineup was perhaps more suitable.

6 Likes

Finally it’s Friday!!

Best regards Potentiometer tester

4 Likes

@110dB could you please clarify where in the Naim power supply heirachy the new power supply fits compared to the XPS DR and the 555 Ps for the NDX2. Thanks.