The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Indeed! but when it happens, you feel happy :grinning:

UK Retail to Retail it’s about 20% more (10,400 compare to 8,200). His enthusiasm seems like it’s money well spent!

1 Like

You have a much better system now, congrats. And when you add the PS it’ll really come into its own.

1 Like

Yes the NSC222 certainly does improve with a bit of use. I’ve had mine for three weeks and the difference is remarkable.

It sounded good from the start, but a fuller, more open sound now.

3 Likes

And in around 3 months it would be sounding even better.

1 Like

I popped in to TomTom in St Alban’s after a meeting today as I had a half hour spare. We got talking about New Classic cabling and touched on Super Lumina (combining speaker and Balanced XLR, in addition to Powerline)
I’ve wanted to compare this sort of configuration against my evaluation last year of Chord Signature, cost to one side (it’s a lot), I was interested to hear if anyone had tried that SL combo or had an intention to.
TomTom had the SL XLR IC in their 200/300 demo setup, I’d never even seen one in the flesh before today, but they rated it and felt it was up there in Sarum T territory.
It’s mostly folly for me today given the cost but my curiosity remains.
I’m planning a longer listening test with them as time allows and will share any insights worthy of a post.

3 Likes

I also popped into TomTom, earlier today. I only went for a new Narcom remote :wink:

Started with the NSC222 into NAP250, through Neat Elites. It really did sound good to me. I haven’t actually heard all that many systems other than my own, and demo gear through my own setup. Very impressed. Nice to use the Naim app with a modern Naim box too, its features are mostly wasted on my UQ1. The system rendered different recordings very differently indeed, more so than my home system.

We then swapped the NC250 for a classic 250.2, and it also sounded very good! There were differences to the NC250, but as a “cheap” way too get into the NC gear I think I’d be very happy.

Then to top the morning off the full 300 system (NSS&NPX, NAC&NPX, NAP350s was played through the Neats. That did sound great, as you’d expect 8) to add… it was the utterly clinical separation and rock solid imaging that made the biggest impression, quite remarkable, it also sounded “just right” in a way I can’t explain in any more detail X)

This wasn’t meant to be much of a review, it was really nice to see the new classic boxes in real life, and to experience the uplift over my home system. I am sat back home now, listening to some of the same tracks, and enjoying them immensely though. If an upgrade becomes possible at some point I’m sure a NSC200 would be a great path for me.

12 Likes

At the end of the day that’s all that really matters! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The impending price rise has made me wonder. A 4 box, amplification only, system (332/300/350) is currently £25,600 (before price rise) - that buys any number of impressive integrated amps from other manufacturers. Did anyone consider this and compare during an audition or if you were going to, what integrated amps do you think would give the Naim boxes a run for their money?

3 Likes

None.

2 Likes

I think this is a very important point.

I related recently here my misadventure of having to fork out $2,000 just for legacy to NC cables (I live abroad where the recent promotion doesn’t apply), and even my dealer, who is new to Naim, was shocked.

This made me think. If even a high end hifi dealer is shocked at prices charged by Naim, how much value are we actually getting compared to the competition?

1 Like

Same here. Have Cambridge Audio 851 full system in my second house.
851E, 2 851W, 851N, 851D - all of them just for a price of one Naim box.
Sound quality being really great…
So the choice is yours…

1 Like

Have you done the comparison? If so it would be good to hear more detail. If not you are just making assumptions

3 Likes

Not a direct comparison because I use ATC actives not the 350, but I compared the 332 plus 300 through the ATCs with Vitus 101 and Thrax Ares, using Avalon PM1 (not back to back). For me both were clearly preferable, purer, better tonality, quieter, better imaging, about equal on drive and dynamics.

For 25k you could move to Vitus sia 25, I would imagine that would not even be a contest.

Obviously people will want to point out the flaws in my testing ( I know speakers make a huge difference) but if you are serious you need to try alternatives, providing brand loyalty permits.

I feel the NC sound is different enough from the OC that switching from one to the other is almost like switching brands anyway.

3 Likes

I would think that anyone spending that kind of money would listen to at least a few other brands no matter integrated or separate amplifiers. The competition (I haven’t checked) should have offerings in the same pricebracket so it should be easy to do a comparison at your local dealer. Except for me, since Naim isn’t sold here😅

1 Like

I admire your faith sir.

@Ryder35
I’ve heard a Vitus R101 compared to OC 252/SC/250 and thought the Vitus came out on top. I was a little concerned about some of the reports on quality I heard at the time, but certainly Vitus, Thrax, Gryphon, D’agostino and others are worth a thought.

@Lucifer
Yes, agreed. I guess the limiting factor is dropping all the cash in one go. Some people, maybe, can go out and look at a 25k integrated whilst many others need to build to that level.

2 Likes

I had the 101 for a couple of years without issue. Not that that really means anything🤣

I always found Nagra amplification both looked and sounded the part in terms of alternatives.

2 Likes

Never had a listen, but love the looks.