The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Thanks @james_n

After modelling 10 new output stages we said ‘wow’ the first time it was on the work bench and ‘WOW’ first time in the listening room.

…It’s a new design to use two driver transistors to drive the two pairs of NA009 power transistors. This way the amplifier retains the speed of single transistors with the drive of two pairs.

18 Likes

Thanks Steve. Good luck with the 500 replacement - I Look forward to hearing that one :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Congratulations Steve and thank you for the great job behind the new classic series. Indeed the first time I powered up my full 300 system a big wow was heard in the room. We were all surprised by how good it sounds right out of the box. Only a question about speaker cables. Does the usual Naim requirement about inductance and capacitance apply to the new classic amps or are they more “tolerant “?

Hi he answered that one a little while ago Naim now use a zobel network on the speaker outputs, so you can use whatever cable you want. Congratulations on your new toy I’m very jealous

Thank you for your kind answer.:pray:

1 Like

Is this the post you recall?

cc @Peppo62

3 Likes

Yes, that be the post. Good find

2 Likes

Indeed… I am using FULL nordost tyr2 and Frey 2 and heimdall 2 loom throughout my 300s and sources ,and it opens up so much and great synergy throughout the system . Will go for Valhalla 2 in time to come… well done NAIM for allowing more cable choices for the NC. :clap:t2:

2 Likes

Good day
Steve
This amplifier are still the quasy schematic in output stage
or the amp use the new design ?
Thanks

There was a definite wow when I first heard them at the dealers … when I got them installed with my speakers in my room there have been regular much stronger words used :slightly_smiling_face:

Should not leave out the 332 and 333, the whole range is pretty amazing, you must all be very proud :+1:

I’m definitely NOT listening to that! :joy:

3 Likes

After 3 weeks impatient wait for shipment my NSC 222 arrived yesterday to pair with the NAP 250 that arrived last week. So yesterday evening I swapped out the NDX2 and Supernait3 :smile:
They sound WOW! right from the first notes - even my partner was impressed :blush: :innocent:

25 Likes

Many say the NDX 2 is the better streamer, which for the price new compared to the NSC 222 might well be expected. I’d be interested to know your thoughts on this once your 222/250 has settled in fully.

Perhaps the SN 3 holds the NDX 2 back? But I’ve not read that anywhere. So perhaps it’s just the great synergy between the 222 and 250 that makes it ‘better’?

Of course, OC and NC have a different sound, so personal preference comes into play.

Not sure how helpful this will be as it concerns the NC 333, but anyhow.

When I listened to the 300 series I started by having a good listen to the NDX2/SN3 with the same speakers as mine (Kudos 606) to get my ‘ear in’ at the dealers and was satisfied that it all sounded as familiar as my gear at home. The first item that I swapped was the NSS333 for the NDX2, so NSS333 into SN3. The difference was immediately apparent. The 333 was so much better than the NDX2 in every way. So much so, that I immediately decided not to include the NDX2 in the demonstration. I made my mind up that I would be having the 333 for certain.

I then tried the NAC332 with NAP250 and was disappointed even though it was a substantial improvement over the SN3. Swapping the 250 for a pair of 350s, the 350s were superb so I ended up with a full 300 series system and traded my NDX2/SN3.

As the streamer is basically the same in the 333 and 222 - certainly will have the same ‘new’ sound so I suspect that the 222 will sound better than the NDX2 - assuming of course that you like the NC sound.

6 Likes

Hi @AJGen

Yes, the NC 250 and 350 both use a quasi complementary output stage (only the 350 has the new dual driver circuit to drive two pairs of NPN power transistors - NA009N)

Back ground
As many people know the quasi topology was invented when NPN power transistors were better than PNP transistors. (in simple terms, a positive and negative transistor to make a push pull output stage i.e., push and pull the speaker cone). It was a way of using two positive transistors to mimic a complementary pair (NPN and PNP) push pull output stage.

Today complementary pairs of power transistors match very well and the quasi output stage is used less. I find the quasi very good on balance. It has great sound quality, more thermally stable than a true complementary stage and lower inherent output impedance than a compound follower (AKA Sziklai output stage).

9 Likes

Good day
Steve very interesting
Maybe SuperNait Four installed inside the quasy NA009?
Maximum power for SuperNait 4 !!! With excellent old Naim technology
I help you with design :slight_smile:
Thanks
Best regards

1 Like

@110dB hi Steve… which means we get less distortion, less hum and more power ….

“As the streamer is basically the same in the 333 and 222”. So you are saying that an ~£8k streamer is essentially the same as that in an ~£6k combined streamer and preamp. That would make the NSS333 very poor value for money. There are differences in that the power supply to the streamer in the NSS333 is not shared with a pre-amp and the (analogue) output stage is more sophisticated. Even so, I agree that there’s not a lot of different technology given the big price differential. Perhaps @110dB could describe the technical differences between the NSS333 and the streamer part of the NSC222?

1 Like

Pretty much all contemporary Naim devices that stream use the StreamUnlimited NP800 streaming board. A specific board from SU that I think is exclusive to Naim.

The context, both physical and electrical, within which it operates does differ though, in the ND555 it’s in its own little metal box etc. I’m sure that’s all @Bjm was getting at, though they can speak for themselves, and I have no wish to put words in their mouth! :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is how naim have always done it mate, for example a nap250 is pretty much a 300 but over two boxes. a 282 is quite similar to a 252 but the way the psu’s integrate is the big difference

1 Like