The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

A very thorough, good review.

1 Like

Yes it is a very positive review but is just too positive. He admits to being a fan boy and is a fan of the Naim sound. I listened to the tracks he mentioned but it is impossible to judge the timbre of instruments as they are all electronic.
It would have been good to read about any negatives but perhaps I am just nit picking.

2 Likes

I’ve never paid attention to any review for HiFi. Are there people who make their purchasing decisions from these advertisements?

1 Like

I think that is a bit of a generalization and there are some on here who may take offense. Sure the big publications rely on advertising but some (including AV forums IMHO) are quite useful. Just as valid as the ravings of us rabid fanboys :wink:

3 Likes

When reading the review, did you not notice that Ed Selley does raise points of criticism? Albeit minor, granted. Definitely agree about the phono stage as I think its rather pointless at this level, as I would guess that most owners would be wanting to use a phono stage of their choice, with a bias towards MC. As a ‘fan boy’ I think he’d probably be even harder to please in some ways, especially as he owns a Supernait 3 which is no slouch.

I just think its great to see such a positive reaction to the new 200 boxes.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing and think Ed could do with a visit from the stacking police :joy: on this forum……

1 Like

Yes, I thought that was funny also!

1 Like

Agree. Yet despite committing one of the cardinal sins, he thought it sounded good. Image how much better the review would have been if had been stacked properly.

2 Likes

I must have missed the criticisms - they must have been very slight! Yes, good to hear that the 200 series pleases a Naim ‘fan boy”. Guess I would have preferred more reference to the differences with my amp (SN3).
The phono stage on my SN3 means nothing to me as I have no interest in vinyl whatsoever but did always assume that anyone into their vinyl would seek a better phono solution. Same with the 200 series. I suppose the inclusion may win over some potential customers for whom vinyl may be important but not the main source.

1 Like

I dunno, nothing is better than listening for yourself rather than relying on a likely biased personal opinion. Not sure why anyone would be offended by my remarks.

1 Like

Because at least one member on this site is a well respected reviewer!

Absolutely but I do find reviews from sites I trust a good way to get a shortlist of what to listen to at home

6 Likes

The integration of a very nice quality phono, even better than in my SN3 before, was also key for me to get the 222. It makes it complete and very flexible.
Btw I don’t have an audible noise in the speakers on powering up and down (mentioned in the review), not sure if others have it?
And in spite of what people tend to comment about the NC250 being the star etc., I do think the 222 is no less brilliant with its kind of Nait-of-old attitude to music interpretation and superb quality implementation of multiple features (including the phono!).

1 Like

Boy, it’s a matter of time and it gets declared the Swiss Army Knife of the lineup.

1 Like

Agreed about the phono stage in the 222. I have a turntable in a box that hasn’t been hooked up for years for a number of reasons, and it’s nice to know I could hook it up and play any time I want to. No need to buy extra boxes / power supplies / cables etc. for some casual vinyl listening in a system that is 99.9% for streaming music.

3 Likes

“If you have a Uniti Nova, these two components are so obviously your next rung as to be lit with a neon signpost.”

Nailed it.

yes, and rather decent for more than the casual listening. In my case I don’t feel short changed at all with a P8 - very enjoyable listen, with groove and connection, which still beats streaming, however indeed I now listen only occasionally (very:), wouldn’t have the extra boxes, cables and hassle.

1 Like

The current issue (Nov 2023) of Hi-Fi News & Record Review has a detailed review of the new NSS 333/NAC 332/NAP 350.

It’s pretty positive.

1 Like

Just received NC 222/300/250.

I will be hooking the 222 up to a Melco N1ZS20 server and have Cisco 2960 and EtherREGEN switches, together with Fraim Base and three Fraim medium shelves.

Very interested to hear any set up tips from NC 200 users - e.g. stacking order on Fraim, Melco on or separated from Fraim, deployment of switches etc.

14 Likes

NSC 222 top of rack for me. Then working down:
Radikal
555PS
NAP 250
From a user point of view and keeping burndies off the floor this seems to work.

5th day in for me with 222, good out the box, starting to provide wow moments with some hi res stuff now, so very pleased at the moment. Enjoy your full NC 200 system👍

6 Likes