The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

@Django84 Without obviously hearing your system, but owning an NDX2 and having previously owned a 282, I would ascribe your description more to the 282/HC than the NDS (which I don’t think I’ve seen described a “shouty” - a good descriptor! - and I don’t recall that myself on the few occasions I got to hear one). Just informational for you.

Just set up the new NC200 system. I’ll need to listen for a good few hours as I can hear things improving over the first hour.

3 Likes

FWIW, I found the same with my NDS/555DR/282/HiCap …. it sounded harsh on occasions at least to me. Things improved enormously once I changed to a Supercap DR.

1 Like

Yes - my thinking too. Very sure the shouty forwardness is the 282. The concern is that it would be worse, if anything, teamed up with an ndx 2 (v nds). Pretty sure the nds is a more refined and ‘smoother’ listen than ndx 2. Hence thinking 200 series may be an option (less fatiguing?). Don’t really want to have to get an ndx 2 AND do something about the pre…getting into the $$$ again.

Aha. I note your system (systems?). Are you actually running a 222/250DR? If it’s impressing so far that’s…pretty impressive, given your ‘big’ system. Makes me think that a 222/555dr/250NC could be worth a crack.

Yes, running the 222 (bare) with a 250DR as part of the grand plan to downsize and simplify from the 7 box NDS/552/500. I originally thought that that an older 272 would satisfy me but it didn’t unfortunately. The 222 has been running for 3 weeks now and a deeply impressive piece of equipment and from I can recollect is more satisfying (to my ears) than the NDS/ 1 x 555ps/282/HiCapDR/200DR that I had before upgrading. A bigger, bolder, warmer sound with much more detail…. a bit more ‘mainstream’ type (?) sound than the legacy Naim sound and maybe more appealing to some in that respect. The only criticism is that I don’t get those hair raising on the back of the neck moments that I occasionally got with the 282 on vocals and which were very frequent with the 552/500, but a small trade off given that it’s currently just two boxes. I plan to try the 222 with one 555ps and then two 555ps (‘pimp my 222’ :sweat_smile:) since I still have all my legacy equipment.
One big advantage of the 222 is that it’s so stable on my network. Connects to it immediately and never (touch wood) drops off compared to the NDS/272/UnitiQute.

6 Likes

Goodness - that is impressive and very helpful. Thank you :+1:

You’re most welcome. Your impressions, like those of others might differ substantially from mine but at the end of the day it’s what it sounds like to your ears that truly matters. I had no intention to migrate over (partially) to the new NC platform and would have preferred to stay wholly within the legacy range if the 272 had met my expectations.

1 Like

I stand to be corrected, but I do not believe the 222 will operate, if you connect two 555PS to it. :blush:

1 Like

Looks like it could, but worth checking with Naim to be sure. Using the legacy cable set 2 -

Lead Assembly, Burndy, 555PS to New Classic, Digital - 19 Way Single to 23 Way Burndy Cable 00-010-0242
Lead Assembly, Burndy, 555PS to New Classic, Analogue - 19 Way Single to 12 Way Burndy Cable 00-010-0243

This has two Burndy cables to connect the 555PS to the 222. I don’t see why you couldn’t use a dual 555PS configuration with the 222, using the Analogue Burndy off one and the Digital Burndy from the other ?

252 needs SC.

Roger

Sure. Agree.
But make sure @Django84 sees your idea too. After all, it’s his system and question?

But, in any case, you’ve quoted out of context.
Which was a comparative statement, (rather than an end in itself ). This is the comment in full…

However, further comments (later in the thread) suggest the system situation is a little more nuanced, with a search for a preferred tonal balance, rather than improving SQ per se.

Best wishes
R

Like you I didn’t get on with the classic separates from a SQ standpoint and I think the NDS was the better sounding player of the line. So I opted to go 272/555DR/250DR. With power lines on an optimized network and software mods to make lossless and high res music functional it’s a pretty great sounding three box setup that punches well up the classic separates line wrt SQ and cost. I bought the 222/250 on a whim with no demo based mostly on the opinion of a long time friend and comments I read here. I know what my friend likes so I could trust his characterization. The 222/250 sounded great out of the box, it’s a different presentation but one I instantly prefer to the OC and after a day I easily prefer the 222/250 to the 272/555/250DR. With the 555 it’s a remarkable system and one I could easily be happy with for years. The NC has reignited my interest in music and my curiosity for the products up the range. Something I haven’t felt since the olive days. I got lucky. Ideally you can find a way to do a demo b/c you may not like the new presentation and I know what it’s like to fork out a lot of $$ and not be happy after. Good luck either way.

2 Likes

Had this to myself this afternoon (at Ascot)

17 Likes

And?

Not enough time to give a helpful conclusion, Sopra 2’s, an average playlist via a Core, challenging demo room with high ceiling and glass on one entire wall.
Doing a session at local dealer in coming days though where they have a better mix of kit to compare against.
My plan being adding a NAC332 to my NC NAP250 for reference.
One observation being they were using SL loom but Powerline Lite’s for some reason.

2 Likes

Open question: If you had to choose between 300 series, six boxes, or the 500 series, what would you choose and why?

It’s amazing how cable dressing doesn’t matter at shows. :thinking:

1 Like

Surely the answer to that is just get a Statement system and not worry about there being anything better you’re missing out on :partying_face:

My thoughts exactly, it’s not an ideal environment to be fair, also the amount of eyewateringly expensive mains treatment kit in systems was also interesting, I can’t imagine it being worth it in a corporate setting like Ascot.
Another take away was demos played far too loud and there being a lot of speakers that wouldn’t even fit through most peoples front door let alone have a space in their homes.
I had a good chat with Paul from PS Audio and the chap that runs Thorens, their new decks look and sound rather nice.

1 Like