The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

That’s not what the question was about, if you read it again… But sure…:person_shrugging:

Thanks for the insight.
I’ve worked at a few hi fi shows over the years and they are certainly far from ideal surroundings and quite a compromise some punters are disgusted and others are super impressed.
Maybe it depends on how long you’re on the journey.
I just find it amazing that nowadays punters have to pay good money to see what companies are trying to sell.
In my day this came out of the advertising and marketing budget.
:+1:t2:

It’s Beer O’Clock on a Friday, interpret my good natured English mannerisms as you will.

It was a trade/press day today so no cost on this occasion, I had thought to go back as a punter on Sunday but it’s £22.38 each and the food and drink on offer is not exactly cheap either.
I may treat myself to some new vinyl instead :partying_face:

2 Likes

No problem but the question was seriously asked so… Have a good time :+1:

It’s a lot of money either way, I’d guess those with 500 Series systems would need a really good reason to let it go for a 300 Series replacement.
The motivation one would imagine would be to improve performance primarily, in that case the findings may be more about how different the systems sound and if those changes are preferable sonically rather than a simple case of one being better than the other.
I’d be very happy with either should the opportunity arise!

2 Likes

Listening to Jack Johnson’s ‘In Between Dreams’ on the 222/300/250 and I am seriously impressed. So natural, spot on timing, smooth but detailed.

Same with Gregory Porter’s ‘Liquid Spirit’, and that is a challenging album to get right. Diana Krall’s voice (The Girl In the Other Room) is just gorgeous, as is Sabina Sciubba’s as she beautifully accompanies Antonio Forcione on the ‘Meet Me in London’ album. Antonio’s guitar playing on his ‘Live’ album is simply stunning.

The only imperfection is that the lower bass registers can sound a little ‘one note’ but this seems to be gradually improving. That could also be down to other areas that need optimising. For example I am using AQ Vodka Ethernet cable on the last leg from Melco to 222 and I want to try my trusty CatSnake 6a there to make a full loom of CatSnake, which I preferred in the 500 system, and subsequently with the Nova. I have also ended up in a virtually square listening room which doesn’t help matters.

I am hearing detail I have never heard before, even on my 500 system. Of course it is not better than a 500 system but to me it is just as enjoyable in its own way

18 Likes

I’ve certainly been more than impressed with what the NAP 250 has brought to my setup, I’m off piste somewhat having a Selekt DSM pre/source but it has no issue partnering up in such a way.
Nice to hear you’re enjoying what you find, is that a home loan setup or a permanent change?

the 332/300 has really added a lot of weight, insight and dynamics to my NC250. It also is much better at lower volumes as well so definitely worth and audition

5 Likes

Anyone come across or heard about this?
One issue I did have was the units losing sync-not all turning on together, and having to reset the 222 a couple of times. While I don’t think this is an issue with the units-we do have shocking power fluctuations that were likely the cause-it did lessen my enthusiasm for the 222 in particular.’
From a dealer I’ve been in contact with about purchasing 200 series. I wonder if anyone from Naim could comment??

Since I plugged in the 222/250 they’ve run without a hitch. No drops from the network or issues with SA.

1 Like

Permanent change.

Yes, my NDS drops off the network quite regularly, which is disappointing considering how much it cost.

Naim Support confirmed that two 555ps could be connected to a 222 in the manner which I’ve described. They don’t know what improvements might be had, if any and for sure they have more important matters to attend to than evaluating the endless permutations between NC and OC equipment. Value-wise the second 555ps doesn’t make any sense as a permanent feature of my 222-based system but I thought it might be interesting to try, so long as no damage is caused.

4 Likes

That is good to know. I suppose, whether you do not or already have one 555PS. Then, this would be a cheaper option, if buying used, than buying two new NPX300’s. I guess, it is just waiting, for someone to give it a go ! :blush:

The setup when I heard the NC300 system locally had the NAP 350’s one atop the other. I don’t think anyone cares as much as we do.

2 Likes

NC250 are popping up used at 25% discount on new price (£5700).

That’s quite a significant discount for boxes which are only a few months old. Bit of a bargain!

Now if only 350s were the same….

2 Likes

They will be.

1 Like

So not unlike the OC. I’m not seeing any s/h units here in the states.

1 Like

Apologies if this comparison has been covered in previous posts , I don’t think it has

Classic 252/SCDR/250DR vs New Classic 332/NPX300/NAP250

Anyone had a chance to compare ?

Cheers

1 Like