The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

hi all
just a reminder the new classic part 2 thread is still here - for those missing the just listening thread

1 Like

And perhaps another timely reminder that there are some upcoming UK dealer events here, where you can listen to the New Classic 300 series and meet and chat with some of the Naim staff:

https://www.naimaudio.com/connection-magazine/41299/new-classic-300-series-events-across-the-uk

Itā€™s the turn of Billy Vee tomorrow (Saturday) and then PJ Hifi Next Thursday, and then Winchester Hifi the following Thursday.

The second half of November has Cultured Audio, Gulliford Hifi, and then Hifi Lounge finish off the month.

2 Likes

Thanks @indexical , I had forgotten about this thread.

Same for those in the eastern part of The Netherlands: Bender Hifi in Arnhem has a show with the New Classic 300 series and I canā€™t wait to hear them on Sunday.

4 Likes

With the closure of the NC300 Listening Experiences thread I am glad this thread has been revived.

Listening to my NC222/300/250 system this evening I have arrived at an old favourite, Joan Armatrading (eponymous album) which is a rather ordinary recording from 1976. It sounds just right, takes me back and is just superb.

6 Likes

Hi @NigelB, I am also listening to music just now, same Naim kit, different music. My music is also sounding just right. At least to my ears. :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Out of interest, what have you been listening to @Orac?

@NigelB Maybe not so different. I subscribe to Qobuz and very often just play though one of their playlists. Tonight is an old one titled Folk Queens, Past and Present. Folk may not be the best description of the music on the playlist. Some of it I like, some maybe not so much.
Listening to some of these playlists (some classical, some blues, some rock, some piano etc) exposes me to music Iā€™ve not heard before which I see as a good thing.

1 Like

At just a week old my 300 series is sounding great. Been playing some CD rips of favourite albums/tracks and hearing lots I hadnā€™t heard before.

Music includes Diana Krall - temptation and Love me like a man.
Pogoes - If I should fall from grace
Elvis Costello - Good year for the Roses
Lynrd Skynrd -Freebird

Also created a Qobuz playlist for running in overnight for the past few nights mainly consisting of Brigitte DeMeyer, Kristina Train, some Jack Johnson and a little bit of Mark Knopfler (Privateering) and Hackney diamonds.

All sounding superb. I am spending too much time listening and should really go to bed but maybe just a few more tracksā€¦ā€¦.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s Radio 3 HD, isnā€™t it?

1 Like

Radiohead - Creep, wow, sounds superb. The previous ā€˜wall of soundā€™ now makes total sense with every thread easy to follow. The pace and timing is excellent.

I fired up the NPX300 for the first time and put it with the 332. I am already hearing improvements but it may also be down to the other kit coming more on song.

I am concluding that this is the best place for the PSU because I am hearing more of what the 333 is delivering. If connected to the 333 it may well give more detail but I know that I canā€™t take advantage of it as the 332 bare would not produce it so well.

The obvious solution is another 300 but not for a long time yet. I am just going to enjoy the music!

1 Like

Advertising?:thinking::wink:

My 332/300 has really opened up in the last few days.

Itā€™s the most compelling system Iā€™ve had or heard.

Thereā€™s no ā€œwhat nextā€ except for what I album Iā€™m going to listen to.

6 Likes

The 555 burndies have settled in and really making the 222/250 shine. Hard to believe this is a three box set up. A really special combo, itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve got so much enjoyment out of my kit.

4 Likes

Yes Iā€™m doing my best to sell more naim boxes like you :wink:

1 Like

Naim reviews from authorised legitimate sources such as Stereophile are fine here.

2 Likes

While Iā€™m still holding fire with 333/300 for a bit longer, I relate very much to what @Bjm says. Music seems a bit constrained compared to when I had the 332/300 in the demo system, let alone doing a final opening up.

This system is still bedding in though. Yesterday the sound changed from bright to quite dark overnight, but the bass is still not resolving as well as before.

ā€¦ and this morning it is more obviously open than yesterday! Frustrating, exciting and annoying all rolled into one.

Iā€™m currently listening to Scott Tournet - Rock and Roll Stories on Qobuz - and think it shows off the 200 series qualities rather well.

1 Like

Having heard a 332/330 and 333 into 350s against 333/300 and 332/300 into 350s at my regular dealer with speakers I know and a room I know, I think the extra power supply really lifts the system and definitely worth the extra outlay. If my premium bonds come up big, I would be ordering a full-fat 300 system immediately, as it is I will stick at 200 level with an NPX on the 222.