The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Ahh yes, first track I always play when I change anything btw is Fleetwood Mac’s dreams as I know where the first cymbal crash should come from.

Always use a test record - “I’m speaking to you from the left speaker , now I’m walking to the right”

1 Like

As long as you aren’t facing away from the system that makes perfect sense :joy:

2 Likes

Does the balance on your remote for the 332 go the opposite way? It’s a known issue. If you are using that to check correct balance it may be backwards.

My balance is correct with test tracks but when you adjust to the right on the remote it goes left and vice versa.

OK. Some forensic listening later and my speakers are definitely the wrong way round. How embarassing that I’ve haven’t spotted that.

Um, @TimOopNorth, guess who wired them up for me!

2 Likes

Nooooo :joy:

Not necessarily your fault. Just changed from 300 to 350s from 552 with legacy leads. Channels were the wrong way round. Fine when leads to boxes changed round.

If I go hard left on the remote then the sound comes out of the right hand speaker, which I have just established is wired up to the left channel.

I think that means the balance on the remote goes the correct way?!?

Same for me but with qobuz version, drums left, sax/bass middle, piano right.

1 Like

I would confirm with a test cd to be sure.

2 Likes

Oh well - at least you’ve found it now :wink:

1 Like

I trust you guys are going to be having a word :joy:

Facing speakers (as normal) Zigbee remote correctly moves sound to left and right.

Joe Morello is on the Left, Dave Brubeck the right.

NAC 332 is connected with Legacy cable to NAP 250DR as shown below.

1 Like

I can hear the bass quite tuneful at about 4:30 to 6:20 or so with my volume set to 34 which averages at about 45dB at my listening position during this period. I see that you have a sub on each speaker so you will get more bass.

I have flicked through a bit of this and can hear the drone on the annunciation at 1:20 or so for example, if I am correct.

I have saved this and will listen in the future.

Yes, the Ute Lemper track has very tuneful bass throughout.

Another track with good bass is ‘the flight of the cosmic hippo’ by Bela Fleck. Thanks to @NigelB for mentioning this some weeks ago.

1 Like

Yes. A very polite word :blush:

1 Like

A few years ago I was “playing” with DSD 512 upsampling with a i2s connection (Singxer) into a Holo Spring DAC and thinking everything was sounding amazing including Strawberry Fields which sounded dramatically different but then thought to myself, doesn’t Ringo usually drum on the left on that track. A software update corrected things but Jos in Magna hifi said loads of satisfied customers hadn’t spotted the channel swap.

It’s amazing how in the short term we can perceive a difference to be an improvement by and large.

.sjb

1 Like

I would notice very quickly. One of my ‘go to’ tracks is the Lemon song by Led Zeppelin with the lead guitar always in the right speaker.

2 Likes

Whew! I thought my system may have been out of whack.

2 Likes