The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Now, letting the system run in 4 hours and listening again , i can attest that the NC 250 is clearly superior. There’s a better feeling that the music is free flowing, liberated. It then gives an impression of better prat too. The sound is more natural too, juicer and fruiter.
Instruments seem to be better separated too, as there’s more clarity…
And it’s only 3 hours run in.
Well done Naim !!

I had also the 300 dr. It was weighter vs both , more authoritative. But too fat for my system and room.
I prefer easily the NC 250. He is more refined and natural, faster too.

17 Likes

Mine had some ups and downs the first couple weeks. Some days midrange heavy, some days too bright and spacey

Started settling in around 3-4 weeks and then the bass really came on song around the 5-6 week mark.

After that it’s pretty stable then a few months later it really added an ease and effortlessness about it.

Your experience may vary

2 Likes

If you feel inclined and like the content, JB Radio 2 HD sounds amazing with the NC gear. Such an improvement from before. Whatever they do to their stream is pretty special.

4 Likes

will let it burn in 24/24 for 3 days. For now I didn’t experienced lows and ups.

One thing appears clearly too: the bass is definitely better resolved. I love that.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will give it a try.

Interesting, it’s a concern I have about moving to the New Classics as to how internet radio sounds on the 222? I listened to a lot on the NDX 2 including low Rez streams and they were always remarkably good even at 128k.

Just had a quick listen, excellent SQ! Good music too. Art Garfunkel, Eric Clapton. I am watching TV in the other room now with JB radio 2 playing away on my system in the other room. I will listen again in about 1 hour.

Thank you for the excellent recommendation @ElMarko . :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, I have it on too, that version of Promises sounds so good, great low end extension, vocals. Some EC recordings have historically sounded thin on my systems but not now. Glad you like it. JBR2 has been at the top of my presets for years.

2 Likes

Mine too now! :wink:

1 Like

I agree on the low end. Its surprising how more insight there is. No more one note bass

2 Likes

Good day: my dealer exchanged me for free his XLR to XLR chord signature with mine, a DIN/XLR to RCA. All resolved perfectly.

4 Likes

Very good!! I think the Sig TA are a good cable for the combination and lucky to have them swapped at no extra cost. I am not unhappy with my AQ XLR which I had available but have been also thinking of trying the Chord Sigs.
The Sarum is slightly smoother (at least as RCA in my system previously) but for transparency and balance the Sig and Sarum are quite similar.

1 Like

In early September shortly after receiving the New Classic 300 Series I was asked by some members about my views of the new range. A member asked about 250 or 350.

I needed to spend some time to understand the New Classic 300 Series before posting some impressions. Just over a couple of weeks ago I responded to the member that had asked in September about 250 or 350 with my initial impressions with the post that you are referring to. I also subsequently added by mentioning to another member that my views on the 350’s were with NSC 222/NPX 300.

A few days later another member replied to another one of my subsequent posts and mentioned that he is also using a NSC 222/NPX 300 with a NAP 300 DR and was thinking about replacing the 300 DR with a New Classic NAP 250 or NAP 350’s. I replied and mentioned that I had responded to another member few days earlier on the step up in performance between New Classic NAP 250 and monaural NAP 350 using NSC 222/NPX 300 -

I shared my views with the post that you refer to.

Fast forward to earlier on this week another member mentioned using a NSC 222/555 PS DR, New Classic NAP 250 is considering options such as 250 > 350’s, etc. Based on my experience with NSC 222/NPX 300, etc. I mentioned 350’s should be first and I shared my views with the post that you refer to.

Sorry but I am not posting just for the sake of it.

6 Likes

Source material used was 2ch PCM (stereo), 2ch DSD (stereo), Multi channel DSD, Dolby Digital, DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby Atmos.

Unfortunately, within the coming 2/3 years, there won’t be a new 500 series. Mr. Mark Ragget said to me. :wink:

I read that here before. Unfortunately? Depends for who. I won’t be able to afford, so would say fortunately :grin:

2 Likes

Statement streamer next, I understand. Then new 500 level kit

1 Like

Maybe I should write - “unfortunately “:sweat_smile:. However, I am very happy because ND555 will stay as a flagship model for coming years :star_struck:

2 Likes

The AV Forums Annual Awards Hi-Fi list is now on their website and the NSC222 & NAP250 get the “High End Hi-Fi Product” for 2023!

“a duo that is a near perfect representation of what modern high end audio should be”

18 Likes

Snow Dog and I spent a very enjoyable couple of hours at our dealer yesterday. We wanted to explore upgrading our streamer and this was the first step Budget up to £10k. We had previously attended the 200 and 300 demos. With the usual restrictions of room / cables etc, I hope what follows is useful to others. We are moving home in the New Year so this was the first stage in narrowing options that will be pursued once we are used to our new room.

As a baseline, we listened to an ND5 XS2 with the NC 333 / 250 and Audiovector R3s. This is close to our system, the differences being the OC 282 / Hi Cap / 250DR and the predecessor Audiovector S3s. We also have SL interconnects and Tellerium Black speaker cable.

We were shocked at how much better this system sounded than our set up. Bass was much better defined, and deeper. Separating electronic and guitar bass lines was easy and while snares etc were a little more recessed, the overall rhythm was ‘driven’ and very clear. Also striking were the dynamics of Tori Amos’ piano playing - I’ve never heard the effects of a pedal so clearly. Quite an eye opener.

I was keen to explore adding a Chord DAC to my streamer so next up was the Hugo TT2. This really opened up the soundstage, particularly with more delicate tracks. However, with anything ‘busy’ this was lost and the mid-band upwards was now closed in. Neither of us enjoyed the music as much. One option ruled out!

Then the front end was replaced with the 333 and the joy returned! The step up was not as dramatic as when first hearing the baseline system but it was significant. Percussion was much clearer and the guitar crescendos in the Rush track were clearly separated but beautifully harmonic. The positive impression was confirmed when we went back my original streamer.

The option we couldn’t try, but I am considering for a similar outlay, is a pre-loved nDac with a 555PS. Many here really enjoy this and it would be relatively easy to try and sell on if it didn’t suit us.

In conclusion, the cost / benefit of making a change is clear and once we have the new room cabled and settled, our search will resume focussed on Naim. We are unclear whether a single component (or the room) was responsible for the quality of the baseline system compared to ours, but clearly further demos are needed, at home. Exciting fun ahead.

Just before leaving we had a brief listen to a demo system from a weekend event - Metronome DCS Streamer / Vitus Audio Pre and Mono blocks with Avalon PM 3.2 and a lot of trick cabling. £250k?. Oh My Word! Enveloping was the word Snow Dog used and she is right. Fortunate are the folk that can afford / justify it.

10 Likes