The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Sounds better but the message still lacks any reference to music - only audio. Sensational rather than personal.

Could you please confirm that the 222 does not allow to:
i) connect it to a preamp, using only its streamer section (it has to be a very good preamp) and
ii) connect an AV receiver to it and use an AV bypass like in the Supernait 3)
Thanks.

I think you need to calm down, you are a dealer after all and right now you are just annoying people with all your posts and thatā€™s not good for anyone, least of all for yourself.

10 Likes

You can set an output of the 222 to be in theater mode which technically gives you a volume control bypassed line out. Doesnā€™t make much sense as part of a system though. If you want a streamer to run into a preamp buy a 333?

No worries :+1:

1 Like

That was also my reasoning over the 350 vs power supply on the pre, and like you I may well add it later, weā€™ll see.
The 350 is phenomenal and itā€™s early days. Iā€™ve just listened to Tommy, thought Iā€™d have a quick listen to ā€œOvertureā€ and ended up listening to the whole album. Iā€™ve been playing that since I was a teenager and have never heard it like that.

The clarity and dynamics are something else. Feels like the amps have grabbed the speakers by the nuts and just wonā€™t let go! :grinning:

I think Naim have hit it out of the park with the whole New Classic range.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply butā€¦
i) I do not see how to ā€œset an output of the 222 to be in theater modeā€ in the 222 manual. Is it something that can be done in the Naim app?
ii) Usually you want to connect the preamp out from the AV receiver to the AV bypass INPUT of the preamplifier or integrated amp not the other way out. So you control the volume with the receiver (only for AV use of course, the 222 volume control is so much better than a receiverā€™s for music).

I ask the same question in NSC 222 AV bypass thread

Not having ever done it myself or had hands on with the NSC222 I couldnā€™t say for sure but the product guide says that the analogue input is configurable (I assume via the app);

ā€¢ Configurable inputs: Input sensitivity pre-set,
naming, AV bypass mode and unused input
disabling.

Hereā€™s what @110dB comments on the function;

1 Like

I was delivered a brand new NC 250 yesterday. Was not lucky, loud electronic hum in one speaker.
Today I could borrow a Chord signature tuned array XLR to XLR. Dead silence now.

I had previously a Nap 250 dr.
After around 40 mn run in, my first impressions are that the sound is still weighty, a bit less vs the 250 dr. But thereā€™s more clarity, better definition, and voices are better defined and are nicer.
All good for now.

For the defective cable, my dealer said other customers had similar problems. This stock cable is a shā€¦

16 Likes

Good for you that the amp is ok!! Btw: my dealer said the same about the stock cablingā€¦

Doing a home demo of the 350 right now. Tight.
Nd5xs2 ā†’ 332 ā†’ 350 (or vinyl source.)

Had the 332/300/250nc on demo a couple of weeks ago.

Will let these mono blocks run a couple of days (they are new out of the box) and report back

6 Likes

I seem to have damaged my cable by looking at it. Well, to be fair, I had unplugged it first but even so the construction quality is inexcusable at this level of product.

Good to know you like the amp so far.

2 Likes

Great news that itā€™s not the amp! May be your dealer can let you keep the Chord Signature as a gesture and apology?: )

yes, for me, always found the OC trying to sound big(ger)

have fun!

1 Like

I set up a thread (now closed) asking for opinions of various XLR cables and their use on NC kit.

Maybe we should ask @Richard.Dane if he could reopen it. Others may have more to contribute now that NC kit has been around for longer and may have experience of trying out different XLR cables.

6 Likes

At what volume do you hear the hum? I have just turned my volume up (NAC332/350) and I can hear a hum on both speakers with ears close to speakers at volume of 97 (muted obviously). It disappears as I drop the volume and is not there at normal listening levels.

Many thanks, Richard. That settles the issue.

A few comments on my listening experiences as my new 300 series approaches the 4 week mark.

The music sounds great. Rather than reading lots of upgrade threads, the thread that I read the most now is the music room ā€˜what are you listening toā€¦.ā€™ for inspiration on new things to listen to. I have also been playing many of my CD rips which I am hearing in a new way.

Rather than an Ethernet connection from my SKY modem/router direct to my NSS333 I have connected the modem/router to an EE8 and then EE8 to NSS333. The EE8 also feeds my Roon Rock and tv. Everything else in the house is wireless via the modem/router.

I canā€™t say that I have noticed any sonic difference with the EE8 but everything seems to work rock solid without any drop outs. I have Roon playlists that consist of Qobuz and CD ripped tracks playing through the night as I run everything in. When I come down in the morning everything is still playing nicely.

The main improvement with my new system is that I am not thinking about the HiFi system but rather just concentrating on the music. I find myself enjoying tracks so much more and accept them as they are, rather than thinking ā€˜could the bass be tighter?ā€™, ā€˜could the treble be clearer?ā€™ Etc.

I can hone in on individual instruments or just enjoy the whole.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a second hand oneā€¦.so I should have a good price. Donā€™t know yet.

2 Likes

Great time, enjoy :+1:

1 Like

Thanks FR, hope you can finally enjoy burning in your 250 now you have the cable issue sorted

1 Like