The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

:joy: yea, sorry I meant equivalent new price….

1 Like

Question for 333 owners … can you change the length of time before it goes into standby in the app?
Thanks

1 Like

Go into other setting and you will see on the menu "Auto Standby Time "

1 Like

Yes you can @Mark63 (or at least I seem to be able to!)

1 Like

Ah great, so the same as my ND5, 20 mins is a bit too short!
Thanks Paul

Thanks Chris!

1 Like

the price of a new nds in 2023 would be £17500…so an nd555

1 Like

Another question for 333 owners … any of you have an nDAC before? I’ve had mine for two years now and really like what it brings, however the 333 did sound very nice at the dealer’s demo.

I’ll need to do a home demo to be sure as I’m 100% streaming but just wondering if anyone has moved over from it?
Cheers

No, i havent ever had an nDAC previously, sorry Mark!

1 Like

having read the stereophile review, seems the 222 offers a lot of performance of the top end Naim at lower price point… I am impressed.

From the stereophile review. Hope it is ok to post @Richard.Dane

“The Creek,” from the album Visible World by Jan Garbarek (CD rip, ECM 1585), was auditioned first via the 222 streamer-pre and then from the mighty, reference-grade Naim ND 555/555 PS DR combo, here delivered to the analog input of the NSC 222 preamp. The latter sound was not found wanting, as it conveyed much of the reference quality of this outboard three-box streamer. But was it worth doing? I think not; the sound quality of the hard-wired inboard DAC is already at a high-enough level, and any improvement via the more expensive source component is partly offset by the need to connect with an external cable. The hard-wired, inboard DAC implementation offered a clear, vivacious, open sound, with infectious drive, and it got better over several weeks of use."

All operational modes, analog disc, digital audio streaming and decoding, plus headphone and loudspeaker drive were consistent, distinguished by an innate sense of energy, imbued with transparency and microdetail. There was also a significantly open, wide-band character, somewhat different from the mildly “contained” sense of some previous Naim iterations. And it is that satisfying, involving rhythmic quality that continues to entertain. I did not fully anticipate this system’s ability to throw such deep and wide stereo images, now of reference class. Time and again, it offered insights which had only been heard on rather more costly combinations of audio components. When appropriate, the ambient field sparkled with delicate spatial detail, excellently focused within satisfyingly deep imaging. This speaks of high resolution and great transparency, which I admit to valuing highly.

My comments below…

I have personally held back from purchasing a Supercap DR or another Hi Cap DR for my 282 and 202, was thinking of trading either one of them in towards a 222… seems to be from all the reviews and forum talk to be on another level altogether?

1 Like

I definitely found it to be on another level to a 282, a lower one unfortunately :wink:

5 Likes

No worries, probably a long shot :slightly_smiling_face:

Not really, the ND555 is a 500 Series streamer and is priced accordingly. The NDS isn’t; it’s a Classic Series streamer.

3 Likes

the nd555 replaced nds directly though, mostly the same design but updated on the streaming side

1 Like

It’s not a direct replacement. Naim made it quite clear when the NDS was released that they did not feel that they had produced a 500 level player, which is why it was called the NDS, successor to the CDS, just as the ND555 succeeds the CD555.

4 Likes

whatever you want dude, not here for an argument. if you look at what replaced what via the naim site, nd555 replaced nds.

Same dac though.

Same TI chip, yes, but the way Naim implement their DACs involves much more than that.

1 Like

Not sure of the salient difference. Yes I understand the streamer in the 555 to be an upgrade over the nds, but the price differential today is huge, considering you can outboard the streaming portion to an innuos product or equivalent.

I personally doubt it - was £7.5k in 2017. So even with same 30% price hike over the last 6 years as the NAP 500 it would still be under 10K.