The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

The Zenith is in Standalone mode. Is this what you mean? I don’t actually know what the difference between Standalone and Endpoint means in practice and it isn’t something I have experimented with.

Both boxes are connected to the network by ethernet. They will eventually both hang off the PhoenixNet, but this isn’t how it is at the moment.

Thank you for reply. I presume you are using UPnP, with either Sense or Naim app. Just reverted to running Roon on Zenith, instead of Nucleus. I have ethernet routed in and out of Zenith, connected to In of Phoenix Net. Out of Net, into 222 ethernet input. I’m not sure which is best way, or with or without Nucleus. Waiting for Innuos to release InnuOS 2.5.5, which will have + and - buttons in app, to better control volume.

Yes, I’m using UPnP. It feels like SQ is better when using Sense rather than the Naim app, but I haven’t worked out why this might be. I need to get a better understanding of how UPnP works.

My reading of older threads is that plugging both the streamer and Zenith into the PhoenixNet gives better SQ than using the dedicated streamer port on the Zenith.

When I use the dedicated port it creates instability elsewhere on my network. My guess is there is an IP address conflict, but I haven’t got to the bottom of it (it isn’t a priority).

Yes have seen network problems with Nucleus in network, with both ethernet ports used on Zenith. Occasional sound drop outs, stream stops playing or when Naim is powered down by Roon app. The Naim system powers down, then wants to power up again. Not sure if the Naim power down, is a bug in the system or something network related.
I have tried previously, connecting the 222 and Zenith to Phoenix, with ethernet input connected to In of Phoenix. I’m not sure which is best way, regarding SQ, when using Roon.
If you connect both Naim and Zenith to Phoenix Net, do you then still use Zenith for iRadio, Quboz/Tidal and stored rips or just stored rips only with Sense?

I’m waiting for the report on 4 555PS’s :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I have no experience of Roon to offer, I’m afraid. I still need to decide whether I am going to just use one app in the future, or swap between them. I don’t have iRadio on my Zenith, just a crappy small, random selection of radio stations. What have I done wrong?

Please let me know when you post your review of this comparison.

1 Like

I’ll be doing the same at some stage, predicting it’ll be a difficult choice.

1 Like

Are you sure? Can’f find it on that pesky fish site

Perfect sense in Stockholm

I didn’t even pay that much for my ND555 (with single PS) :thinking:

1 Like

Just in case you did not see my reply. Please ignore if you have.
What app or apps are you using at present? I presume you have the Zenith configured for use with UPnP? If using Sense, you will get a few Radio Paradise, then whatever radio stations you add by the URL pathway. If using Naim, then whatever Naim have already added. If you wanted more, you would need to register with Vtuner, then add your own. Adding radio stations in Naim, is a bit more complicated than adding in Sense.

That is indeed a nice room.

I saw the new thread - duly ignored.

I can see how to add a radio station to Sense once I have the necessary URL. Thanks for the tip. I think there may now only be one reason for me to ever use the Naim app, which is to manage the settings on the devices.

Hello,
I wonder if anyone with a 222 can have a look at the back and confirm if you have the position of the link plugs the way I have it. Noticed Naim branding is in different position for link 1 and 2. Is this normal. I have not found any other way to plug, it only fits one way.
Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: Upgrade to New or Old Classics?

They are screw on caps so it’s almost impossible to predict where the printing will line up at the tight position
Bit like the winder on a watch. :+1:t2:

The position and branding of link plugs of our NSC 222 is the same :+1:

@Musicraft Thanks for confirming! Cheers.

:+1: