The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Hi @naimophile

It’s how the quasi behaves under dynamic conditions, maintaining a good class AB bias. This is because the lower transistor that mimics a PNP transistor is removed from the thermal loop. The upper transistor is connected as a darlington emitter follower and so has a low output impedance before feedback is applied.

The measured power output between different output topologies is near identical. (true complementary darlington emitter follower, quasi and the Sziklai compound follower)

Hum is not effected by output stages, all down to the input stage, power supplies and the internal physical arrangement. i.e. inputs near transformers pick up magnetic fields.

4 Likes

‘Basically’ the same i.e. based on the same platform. Of course there will be differences in implementation but there would be a similarity in sound between the NC (222/333) similarly as there is with OC streamers.

I did point out that I wasn’t sure if my post would be of any use or not as it covers my experience with the 300 series. I have not heard the 222 but would suggest that it is probably worthwhile if someone is considering an NDX2. Purely my opinion of course :wink:

1 Like

Thank you Steve , for the reply and info … learned something here :blush:

It’s a bit like saying that Nd5xs2 and Nd555 are relatively the same because they share the same streaming platform.
I hope that 333 sounds well above the 222, which costs less and incorporates a preamp and phono.

4 Likes

I and everyone who knows that Naim uses the same streaming board in these streamers understood your comment. Of course how the streaming board (and DAC) are deployed is the difference maker. It’s no suprise the 333 beats the NDX2 easily. I find the 222 to be a better streamer as well but that’s based on my memory of the NDX2 being fairly forgettable for me on its own. It really needs a PS to sound decent. Your comments about the SN3 against NC separates is surprising to me b/c I never found the SNs able to deliver like a separate 250 and preamp could. But my experience with the SN3 is limited and I haven’t spent much time with this amp. This is why I opted to go 272/555/250DR in the first place. And now with the 222/555 and the added benefit of using the second output of the 555 it’s a no brainer for me. The NC streaming deployment is a major league improvement over the OC for me. Every day I listen to music is a joy now.

4 Likes

What you’re saying makes sense and I’m glad it’s a major improvement on the 272. Using 2 outputs on the 555PS will bring significant advantages.

2 Likes

But I still like very much the 272/XPS sound into my active ATC 50s. Velvet silky dream.

1 Like

It’s like an oldtimer Porsche 911/968 engine sound - great but different…

1 Like

Good day
Dear Steve
You write about magnetic fields near tor transformer.
Naim power Transformers use the electromagnetic shield inside or not ? After second windings.
Thanks

P.s the transformer is not simple device :slight_smile:

Hi @AJGen

We’ve tried magnetic shields in the past. It affected the sound quality. Sensible input circuit design together with orientating the transformer is our preferred method of noise control.

The transformers toroidal core is made from an efficient magnetically grain orientated iron wound band. Specially annealed, then spot welded and varnish impregnated. The core has end caps and then the primary winding is added. Before the secondary is wound a copper electrostatic shield is added. The last layer is a black cloth, chosen for sound quality. We use copper mounting inserts potted in resin.

9 Likes

Hi … am checking on the Gaia 3 isolator. Will be function well w stand mounted speakers? What I read was it’s for floor stander :thinking:

Good day
Thanks a lot Steve
Naim make a perfect transformers for sound !!
attention to every bit

Best regards

@Mark63 hi mark , is that Gaia 3 on your speaker stand? Do they work well ? I am looking at getting them but isoaccoustic website indicate they are for floor stander … so I am puzzled :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I believe if for standmounts, the speakers should be firmly attached to the stands? Like in the example FR has shared with Martens - which are screwed to the stands plates.

1 Like

Thanks guys for the reply … ya the marten shared their isolator in the series of speakers , be it stand mount or floorstander. And yes the speakers must be firmly mounted in order for the Isolator to works… this isoaccoustic website didn’t mention it can also be use w stand mount speakers , hence am confused … maybe I should just purchase them to try on… hope it won’t alter the sound in anyways. :pray:t2:

2 Likes

Yes Isoacoustic Gaias work well under speaker stands too. I use some with my Solidsteel SS6 with great success. They are worth a try. Please note the weight specifications. The Gaia should not be constantly loaded with more than 3/4 of the specified maximum weight (speaker + stands). If in doubt, it is better to use a class higher (Gaia II instead of Gaia III). The speakers do not have to be firmly screwed to the stand. This is more of a safety feature.

1 Like

From the Isoacoustics Gaia Series webpage:

-Can the GAIA series be used on stand mounted speakers?
If the speakers are fastened to the stands, then they tend to act as one and the GAIA series are recommended for installation on the floor stand.
If the speakers are resting on top of the stands, then we recommend isolation between the speaker and the stand. The OREA series are a great option in this case.

3 Likes

Another example

5 Likes

Another one, used by Darko.

Conclusion : if someone finds that Oreas improve the sound under stand mounths, then it’s all that matters.

2 Likes