The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Thanks for letting me know.

Currently no hifi budget, so just window shopping…:slightly_smiling_face::notes:

Have a good weekend.
Jim

2 Likes

Total cable length,plugs included, is 130 cm.

I have just set up my new NSS333/NSC332 with my ATC SCM40a loudspeakers and it was OMG it sounds amazing imho and this is at low level listening. I have read ATC’s only come alive with the volume cranked up, well to my ears this system just feels so right. I had downsized from NDX/252/SCdr/300/T88 to a Linn Selekt DSM/Organic/Utoptik/Dual mono and think the Naim has brought the music alive again.

6 Likes

Just hooked up 333/332/40a and it sounds amazing at low level listening can only imagine what it will sound like with 50s

Great!
I hear a big difference between 40 and 50. It’s just another class of everything.
So maybe the final setup to consider.

1 Like

I have set up a new system consisting of a NSS333, a NAC252 DR, a NC250 and TAD ME-1.

I had the 252 in storage for some time as it was in another system consisting of an NDS, 252 and NAC250 non DR into ProAc K6. I was never completely satisfied with this system and changed the 250 to 300 DR which was a large improvement.

Now, the new system is outstanding. It is very revealing and precise without inducing any fatigue. I listened yesterday to some Julian Lage jazz. The music is fantastic and the recording great. Listening was extremely involving, a pure delight.

Of course, the rather small TADs won’t give enormous bass but it’s very much there.

I also found that even at low levels, at which I listen 90% of the time, the music is totally engaging.

Now this is a mixed system. It would be interesting to compare the 252 + SC with a 332 alone or with a power supply. I guess that the power supply would be needed to surpass the 252 + SC.

Nevertheless, the conclusion is that mixing old and new classic can give outstanding results.

I tried the 252 into the NC system reasoning that it might be a good interim solution before going for the 332 when I have the funds. I now think it will stay.

Here are a couple of pictures before and after placing the sofas. I prefer not to see the system.

20 Likes

Beautiful room. :+1:

3 Likes

Very nice! In a Japanese style. So the Tad complete all well.
I would recommend a bonsai inside. At least the idea came to me.

1 Like

a bonsai would fit very well, but one of sufficient scale would be very expensive and would need a fair amount of tlc from an experienced carer, it should also be outside for most of the year. sorry to be the bringer of bad news - maybe an ikebana style flower arrangement would be a better bet - you could learn how from a good book

2 Likes

Do you find the bass better with the Nc 250 than the 300? I have found the bass lacking with the 250DR compared to a Goldnote amp called 1175.

I see one on the rack, between the speakers. But Ikebana too. Good idea.

1 Like

My other system has a NAP 300 DR driving ProAc K6. The bass is more ample than the NC250 driving the TADs but the two speakers can’t be compared size wise. Nevertheless the TADs are doing bass but they have somehow more finesse.

I see. I thought you had had the 300 in the system where you now have the NC250

In my opinion, a 333/332 combo certainly ups the game where musicality and engagement are concerned over a 222/300 combo, as good as that is. As always, system synergy is the key throughout the hi-fi chain. Listen at your dealer and get a home demo to confirm.

4 Likes

Same issue with the balance here. I was advised that this has to go back to Naim and can take a month or two to get back here in the states… I’m keeping it as is.

Looking forward to this week and next, home with 2 NPX300s. Going to connect first one to the 332 and have a listen for a week and then add one to the 333, already like what I am hearing could be a few late evening’s. Feel a very lucky guy

8 Likes

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts Andy. I run a 332/300 & 333 and will add another 300 in a few weeks. I certainly felt, with one 300, the 332 was the place to put it. The 333 is supremely capable ‘bare’.

G

2 Likes

Has anyone had a volume issue where at any volume below 1/4 on the front dial indicator, only one Chanel works, until it increases some more.

I only get my Left Chanel sound, if I go a little past 1/4 volume the right Chanel does eventually start. Then I can reduce it a whisper and both Chanel’s still work.

It’s not really an issue, just annoying. I assume is the Reed Volume set up that’s a quirk of that design ?

Or no, it’s not a quirk and I have a faulty unit.

Just for clarification, 1/4 volume isn’t that loud at all for me and my active speakers. Just low, low background music, but I like to “warm” them up at that volume. And when I get output from only one Chanel, it’s slightly annoying.

But as I said, the whole volume range works as soon as soon as I increase it and then decrease it.

When I’m not using it, I just mute it at the no output volume level. I’ll try and just leave it un-muted and at 1/4 volume and see if that fixes it.

Because I’ll always turn my active set off every night after a session and it stays off until I’m ready to go again. Up to a week sometimes.

The 332 volume control should be equal on both channels assuming the balance is not biased to one channel.
The issue might not be with the preamp, it could be with your active speakers. Have you tried swapping the channels to see if the problem changes when you do? Also, have you checked that the input sensitivity settings on both of your SCM100s are the same?

1 Like

Thanks Paul.

The 332 Chanel balance hasn’t been altered, still rock solid centre set up.

I’ll switch the cables around tomorrow and check that out.

I didn’t notice this when I got them, but it looks like ATC have stopped giving users the option of adjusting the bass and input sensitivity. Mine are Aug 2023 build.

So they are missing those two adjustment tabs compared to what the ATC Manual says and what I had on a pair of ATC SCM50 ASL that I had 5 years ago.