The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Not so great on my 222

I think the new generation streamers work better with new generation PS - designed for that

1 Like

I would agree that adding the NPX 300 to the NSC 222 is a bit of a no brainer, however, at £5900, not one to undertake without considerable due consideration……

IMHO all of the Naim upgrades, power supplies, Super Lumina interconnects and speaker cables, etc. are all really worthwhile in terms of performance and SQ but more questionable in financial terms….

Auditioning, preferably blind, is an absolute must.

ATB, J

5 Likes

I have just added a catsnake 6a floating cable from my modem to NSS333 for £40 this is a no brainer upgrade to my rubbish cable :smiley:

2 Likes

Will likely look at options of changes to my Now modem, are there any benefits to be had?

The whole switches and ethernet cable debate is very devisive and best avoided imo.
Consensus tells us it’s very personal.
I think it’s an area generally where cause an effect get greatly exaggerated on here.
And by that I’m not saying they don’t work just that they are very use case specific which I tried to reference above when providing my opinion.
£40 on a data cable seems about right to me – enjoy and ducks for cover!

4 Likes

Not interested in spending thousands but if I thought a modem or lps would bring some improvement at a few quid I would certainly explore, do feel the catsnake cable has helped others may differ :smile:

Nigel, I have had a 222/250 and later added the NPX300 which I bought ex-demo for half-off the retail price. To be honest, buying the NPX300 was one of those things where I saw a great deal and jumped on it without a demo first.

From my personal perspective, the NPX300 was a small improvement. Perhaps I was expecting more of a transformative change which has been the case for other Naim amps I have owned. This makes sense since the 222 has a power supply built in.

My personal opinion is that there would probably better ways to spend my money if I had bought at MSRP. At half that price; I am still not sure.

7 Likes

Great well made to spec ‘fit and forget’ cable with EE8 to 333, and throughout.

G

1 Like

Very solid upgrade to me on my 222/250, however my system only started to ‘sing’ for me when I upgraded the XLR and speaker cables to Vertere Redline. That made a massive difference and put me into ‘that will do’ territory.

4 Likes

Added a NPX300 to my 222 a couple of months ago on a very good deal, it was an immediate and very obvious upgrade to me. More details, musicality and a drop in noise floor. And the NC is a joy to use…

5 Likes

But not in your profile? :flushed:

I have mogami under my new wooden floor so no Vertere for me, my wallet will be pleased :smile:

4 Likes

When I replaced my OC to NC system over the past 12 months, the only OC component I kept was the 555PS, which is now happily powering my 222. I have no idea how much of an improvement it is compared to a bare 222 as it was plugged on day 1, but I do remember the difference was jaw-dropping on my 272.

4 Likes

Exactly what I did/experienced. :grinning:

272 is an amazing unit, I love it.
Gives me that special velvet Naim sound with my active ATC 50s

2 Likes

252/350/Kudos 606 is a winning combination of OC & NC for me. Moving from 300DR → 350 has been amazing. But I needed a 3 week home demo before pulling the trigger.

A/B comparisons between the 300 and the 350s proved challenging with Fraim break downs and rebuilds but it was worth it in the end.

19 Likes

They make a very musical trio the 222/300/250, love mine.

4 Likes

You’ll really enjoy the system, quite possibly the sweet spot in the NC world!

ATB, J

My 555DR works quite well with the 222. So well I have no interest in upgrading.

3 Likes