The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

I have successfully been using my SN2 as a preamp with a HiCapDR and 250DR for the last 5+ years. It is my intention to keep the poweramp and move to the new NAC 332 as a first upgrade step. This is possible with a new legacy cable, and because the of the internal power supply.

At a later date I will see what the addition of the new external NPX 300 power supply will add, versus the change to the newer NAP 250.3 power amp.

I spoke to my dealer on Thursday soon after the announcement, and he said demo units should be with them in September and he will call me to arrange a listening session. I have a strong feeling that I will be smiling a lot on that day!

8 Likes

Yep. If you go with the New classic preamp then you can ditch the Hicap and just use the SN3 in Power amp mode with cable assembly 4.

Go 250.3 with the SN3 as preamp and you keep the Hicap for the SN3 and connect the Hicap to the 250.3 via cable assembly 7.

Choices, Choices :grinning:

3 Likes

Hope the supplies get across the pond in September so you can have a listen soon as - exciting times for sure.
The options you have now look very nice indeed - patience has paid off.
I think the new classic sound signature predominantly comes from the pre-amp (volume control) so personally would go for that first but if you want the cheaper option to get ball rolling the NAP250-3 (of course you may choose NAP350 so more expensive) - you’ve got some “demoing” ahead :grinning:.
I’m sure you will be really impressed by the improvement whatever step you choose and your ProAcs will absolutely love them.
Good luck on your journey and keep us posted!

2 Likes

Can 250-3 be connected directly to SN3 if there is no HiCap?

I’m also wondering about mixing pre/power amps from new and old series. Naim have always said that they are designed to work together as one. This is probably one reason why I will not entertain the new 250 or 300s. It would be good if Naim comment on mixing and matching as well, in particular the amps. I assume the source is another matter?

No - you need two DIN4 outputs for the cable assembly to the 250.3 so you wouldn’t be able to do this with the standard Naim upgrade cables.

1 Like

Your connection knowledge is truly second to no one - keep up the excellent work :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Yes, we covered this yesterday - it would need the separate cables to be modified into a single DIN4. One for Naim or the dealer perhaps?

1 Like

Jason claims replacing the 300 with the 350 is a significant upgrade when paired with the NAC552. His reaction, stating, “it’s a big upgrade,” appears to be personal, indicating that he may have already tested this combination with his 552/300 active setup. Please refer to the video starting from 3 minutes and 20 seconds for info on 350.

7 Likes

Nice upgrade path, @GeoffC :+1:
Actually I have SN3 with HC DR. I want to go for a NC 250 (or maybe 350) next and some years later for the NC 332. 2 or 3 Naim boxes are ok for me (plus Phono pre for the 332 then).

BTW: does anybody know (maybe Steve @110dB) if it would be possible to connect a Stageline to a 332?

2 Likes

40th minute - Focal Naim part, sounds really bold and spacious even on YouTube

3 Likes

I am surprised that no one has thought about mixing olive with NC :slight_smile:
52 - 350?
Will it be possible ? Really interesting to think about its result in SQ :wink:

Why bother?
there is nap135s 0ver there…

2 Likes

Fair enough. I’m still not in the market to change my amps la la la🤣

1 Like

Yes - this is the one I love and use. But nevertheless - worth thinking of combining generations

1 Like

:joy:

I admire your resilience, having had your CDS3/252/300/SL2 system for 20 years. It will obviously take something special for you to change.

Actually, I’m waiting for it to be 50 years and then I change :wink:

2 Likes

Ah sorry - missed that. Just catching up on the latest posts.

Wishful thinking :joy:

1 Like

2:08:00

3 Likes