The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Steve, is it suggested, a transition to a bare supernait3 adding the 250dr or not yet because of the new balanced connections?

1 Like

I’ve been trying to find a picture using Google but have so far failed. I’m quite tenacious though :wink:

A really good, high quality preamp (likely tube)with active speakers is the only alternative to a Naim I would take seriously. Not that I am even considering moving away from Naim. It’s the bees knees!

I was sure there was a picture on the forum, but searched this morning in vain!

Perhaps our esteemed Mod has removed the evidence… :crazy_face:

Found it!

2 Likes

Good man! Get me a bucket!

Edit: I was laughing so much I forgot to add the emoji……:face_vomiting:

1 Like

Naim did a prototype where the whole front fascia was silver chrome as well from memory, also sat on a shelf in the factory somewhere (probably still to this day)
I’ve slept on it and still can’t quite put the central perspex dip niggle to bed on the new boxes :joy:

Yes, an amp and a CD player. The problem was that the 5 series metalwork used was a zinc/magnesium casting and so the chrome plating really didn’t work so well. We kept it in the office so that every time someone like David Amey would mention that Naim could sell more in the Far East if we offered a silver option, then we could offer up the chromed abomination, which usually killed the discussion stone dead.

7 Likes

Right, so some favorable words so far. It seems like a good combo. The NDX2 with a Supernait3/Hicap would be about 785£ cheaper than the NSC222/NAP250. I wonder how those set ups would compare?

At the same time the NDX2, 282/Hicap and 250 would be about the same price as NSC222, NPX300 and 250. Those would also be incredibly interesting to compare.

I have no dealers near me unfortunately. Otherwise I would, especially the NAC-set up vs the NSC-set up.

3 Likes

Are you talking new prices here?

Do you guys think if there is also a snow white version then more wives will be happier, and so that more of us could continue our upgrade path and without interruption of the number of boxes?

Well I always thought that the 282/252/250/300 were compromised and frankly one should just default to 552/500. Seems I was right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Possibly but I’m not too sure about Sneezy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Happy, Doc, Dopey and Bashful

1 Like

I’d suggest it’s partly a case of “the best is yet to come” here.

I think if you can rationalise the new industrial design and be comfortable living with it there’s a sensible path forwards here that doesn’t involve a 222. I’d be inclined to suggest that’s the weakest link in what has been announced.

The 222 pacifies the long overdue pent up demand for a replacement to the 272 and similar 1st generation products (like Superuniti) but leaves many unsatisfied either relative to their existing journey or any longer term plans.

In my case as an example (Supernait 3 + NDX 2) I can add a new NAP 250 and run the SN3 as a dedicated preamp, add a NPX 300 to the NDX 2, preferable to an XPS DR, cheaper and with broader long term value than an 555PS.

At some point there will be a 200 and 300 Series analogue only NAC preamp, that can be swopped in to replace the SN3 and the NPX 300 (one would assume) used to power it, moving the NDX 2 back to running off it’s internal supply.

Beyond that there will be a 200 and 300 Series streamer (NDX 3 or whatever new name it gets) that will likely come in a config equivalent to an NDX2 with both internal and external power options.

Importantly it’s still a valid upgrade path and means the music keeps flowing and the important used/trade in cycles persist to allow options for others moving along their own journey.

I’d expect Naim to have mapped all this out over the next 5 years or so with a suitable overlap of manufacturing of legacy products and the usual longer term support and maintenance cycles.

I think at some point we can expect a refresh on the NP800 streaming platform, focused on the higher tier ranges and see those appear down the line but not so soon it angers any 222 owners who feel short changed by having a product with the (then) “old” NP800 platform.

Hence my desire to hold off on any new source investments and focus any new investments on amplification and power where the lifecycles and feature changes span many more years than products in the digital and IP domain.

15 Likes

I use the Atom HE in my main system and, of course, have some similar questions, and also the good reference points you raise. Clearly, the key is the overall sound quality that comes out of the system and the answer to comparing the NSC222 and the Atom HE (apart from straight headphone output) would be in the context of the system and speakers.

Directly replacing the Atom HE with an NSC222 will bring the better power supply and upgradability with the NPX300, so on its own clearly an improvement is expected - at a very big cost differential. Comparisons of the new classic 2 box vs the NOVA are also straightforward and tbh quite a lot of it comes from the huge advantage of the amplification from the new 250.

I find the new 200 concept with the MM phono in very attractive, however need to put in context for my individual case. If I look at my system (Atom HE-SN3-SCDR), I could just get the NSC200 alone instead of the HE for some probably not so major improvement, or more with the NPX300 but that’s many times the cost, more big boxes, duplicating the phono stage - not sure about all that?

So it seems like I need to think full replacement and to hope it would sound a lot better. But will it? Better digital section due to improved power supply and upgradeability but then not sure my preamp section is worse and I have the SupercapDR to improve preamp and phono stage to simply amazing results. Btw I don’t somehow believe that the NPX300 is better than the Supercap DR or 555PS (or it would have been strongly advertised in the launch messaging, and why wouldn’t it?) but is just more flexible across the new line of components.

The poweramp with the new 250 is a clear advantage - if I need it for my speakers and room? I have tried my Marten speakers with my Atom HE into my 40wpc Nytech power amp and it grips them beautifully, they seem very easy with good quality amplification but not necessarily huge amounts.

I am sure a lot of people are going through some similar thinking and process and I will definitely try to arrange some relevant NSC222 audition in my context, however if a 300 dedicated streamer/DAC which is clearly better than the NDX2 is coming soon, it would be something very interesting and attractive to me to replace the Atom HE.

2 Likes

All I can say is bring on the new series as it will serve to further reduce the price of their “older” models on the second hand market.
Newer is better, right?

1 Like

There’s sure to be plenty of trade in discussions going on in the coming weeks, whether there’s a big market for used 272’s is questionable, power supplies and NAP’s regardless can always find themselves new homes!

Given a dwarf is a type of supernatural being in Germanic folklore. I can’t see a problem calling them “Dwarfs”. Accounts of dwarfs vary significantly throughout history however they are commonly, but not exclusively, presented as living in mountains or stones and being skilled craftsmen.

I take it your post was “tougue in cheek” ….:innocent:

1 Like

Wow!!!