The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Go on Steve…you can tell us…we won’t say a thing….promise.

6 Likes

You already got them??!! What dark magic is this??!!

1 Like

Praise indeed!

Have you taken the plunge already and replaced CDS3/252/300?

Great stuff enjoy!

1 Like

It’s a Naim switch. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Hi Analogmusic,

I’m glad your 250 is serving you well :slight_smile:

Yes, the new 250 can now be used very easily in studios. The new balanced implementation is a considerable step up from the previous studio 250.

The mains flex works well especially for the Naim pre-amps. It’s relatively low capacitance per meter due to the thick insulation. This allows the feedback of the pre-amp’s output stage to behave well in the MHz region. There’s a lot of small factors in cable design and the interaction of what is feeding it and what it’s plugged into.

There’s socket microphonics, contact galvanic effects of dissimilar metals, capacitance, inductance, dielectric absorption, triboelectric effects, RF screening etc

The NSC 222’s output stage is the new headphone amp (dual function). It can drive 1.7W into 16 ohms. Therefore it can drive interconnect cables extremely well, being a mini power amp. This helps making cables more agnostic in terms capacitive loading. It can’t address external factors.

The new 250 has zero feedback, single ended class A input buffers between the input XLR socket and the power amp. I’m sure this helps with interactions between the pre and power.

Overall the new 222 and 250 are going to be slightly more agnostic. However microphonic, dielectric absorption, galvanic differences are all external factors.

I do like now being able to use industry standard leads.

The DAVE should be able to drive the 250 direct without problems…but I’ve not tried it. In 2023 I’m still preferring analogue volume controls - huge subject; more another year.

Impedance matching shouldn’t be a dominant factor for audio as it is relatively low frequency. Best to have a low impedance driving and a high impedance receiving. This is unlike RF systems where reflections can happen and power can come back. However the RF behaviour of a cable can influence the perceived SQ…anything RF and non-linear demodulates to the audio band.

Hope that helps

Best
Steve

11 Likes

I’m out of my depth on the technical side of things so my only comment is that I saw the new products with the mark 1 eyeball today and I thought they looked superb. I heard the 222 briefly, streaming some Pat Metheny. Very impressive all round.

4 Likes

@sound-hound Well maybe not as long await as anticipated. Dealer reopened today and found he has stock of 222 and 300. So, as I’m first in the queue, I will receive delivery from him next Wednesday. Good news must come all at once. I also found out on Friday, that I’m currently clear of cancer, after receiving radiation beam therapy treatment for prostate cancer - ding, dong :grinning:

139 Likes

Double congrats to you

Thank you, very much.

1 Like

Now we know what Santa does off season. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It has just dawned on me that the 110dB … should change to 111dB … to be inline with company naming policy :rofl:

5 Likes

Beware of the PM factor though

1 Like

I used my Dave into 250DR for a while, and thought it worked pretty well. A slightly different sound signature to the same setup with a 282 in between, and possibly a step down, but if so it was a small enough step tgat I was willing to part with the 282 and declutter by removing 3 boxes.
Whether the new 250 would be any different in this respect, who knows.

1 Like

Good news on both counts, and I am hoping to be in the same situ as you soon, i.e. new range at home and prostrate cancer clear (will know mid feb).

29 Likes

Yes, I remember you doing that before moving to the Etude, Chris. One to try for myself I think.

1 Like

I hope you are also in the same situation as me, come February. Good luck to you, sir :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Well i have my deposit down for a 222 to replace my 272. Lookong forward to it singing throught the SCM40a’s :slight_smile:
The only spec that id love some clarity on is the DAC chip employed. I believe that the 272 has the higher spec 1792 DAC chip whereas the new 222 uses the same, lower spec 1791, as the ND5XS. Any insight on that one @110dB ? Appreciate that the chip may not the be all end all but it does seem like a downgrade from a spec sheet perspective?

6 Likes

According to Steve @110dB the 250DR and new 250 are not restricted in their speaker cable requirements in the way that older models were, so there is every chance that wouldn’t need the Naim modded cable any more. Perhaps worth asking Naim to confirm this.

1 Like

Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend approx 30/40 mins listening to the new classic range, all three elements and these were hooked up to a £10k pair of speakers. From my perspective it reminded me of when I first heard 272 (dug out my notes and it was a 272)/ 555PS / NAP 300DR & PS hooked up to a £15k pair of speakers. For me a real step up vs my 272/555PS /250DR.
I haven’t listened to the new range with my 555 in place, one for next week before making final decision of whether 222&250 or all three elements. :thinking:

8 Likes