The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Helpfully we know the Type 3 provides two regulated feeds suitable for an analogue pre amplifier. A HicapDR on steroids. naim have already indicated R&D/NPI teams have a strategy to use the NPX300 for all future full case boxes.

One can envisage a future integrated, SN300? say, which has mains fed power amplifier with option to add NPX300 on the pre. An improved SN3 including all the tricks naim have learnt building 222/250.

One can also envisage a future pre amplifier, 382? say, which functions like the current 282. Needs the NPX300 for the 22V feeds and could also use type 4 socket in place of NAPSC. So that all aligns in the stars. Probably use the MM phono card from 222.

naim don’t (currently) sell a separate DAC. Would either of the new integrated or pre amplifier include a 222 style DAC section (a la SN1)? Consumer friendly, type 4 socket there for power/upgrade. Mass market appeal - 1 or 2 box options and can stick your PC/telly/Sky into it via optical or maybe USB. USB less likely since it’s not been added to 222 so streaming boards (to date) don’t support USB to DAC connectivity.

What is far less clear to me is the plan for the 252 replacement, if any (perhaps the 382? will be so good one isn’t required). SuperCap offers far more analogue power feeds than type 3. It could just be like the 252/282 upgrade internally - higher component matching spec, isolated boards, suspension, maybe you lose the DAC?/MM phono? from 382? to make it a pure analogue box.

Interesting times.

3 Likes

Good question, the new serie looks a bit like a hype…stay calm and enjoy music!!!

6 Likes

Tricky one as comparisons are difficult with a brand new device. You would have to listen and decide which you preferred.

1 Like

I suppose removing the routing of the audio signals via the power supply has allowed the simplification of the PSU options (and cabling) to a single unit for both digital and pure analogue products. Saying that, the NPX300 is quite an expensive PSU upgrade so perhaps a simpler Type 3 output only version could follow ?

Interesting times indeed.

2 Likes

The new Classic Range looks promising…the roll out of the 300+ series may be of interest, dependant on timescales. If the new pre/power amps (or integrated) have a proper volume control, good low level balance, and don’t hum constantly…and sound amazing, could be a potential 552DR/500DR replacement.

Have a demo early next week to have a looksie/listen to the current new offerings.

And what do I do with the ‘green glow’ in the listening room… :thinking:

nnn

Have a good Sunday

5 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying the SuperLine, it was a great project to work on. I remember it being released and playing Hugh Masekela at a show. I kind gent went and bought Dave Brubeck’s Take five and left it for all to listen to. What a fabulous community.

RE NSC 222 pre-amp section
It’s just over half changed. However all very naim design philosophy.

If we take the naim pre-amp signal path:
input selection → filters → Volume → output stage

The input selection is improved with constant current source drive to the reed relays (filters noise on the energising coils)

The input filters are very similar (two zero feedback class A single ended buffers making a Sallen and Key filter. Using ultra low dielectric absorption custom capacitors) but run from +/- PSU rails. This leaves the ground slightly cleaner.

The volume control is a surface mount miniaturised version of Statement. Has fixed resistors where the level is picked off using reed relays.

New headphone amp that doubles as the output stage. This is like a mini naim power amp and being small it has speed and agility. As an output stage it runs class A and when it drives headphones it slides into class AB for the peaks. The headphone mute relays isolate the headphone Zobel network when not used.

All the analogue stages are simple class A discrete transistor circuits. These are then placed in a clean environments such as separate linear PSUs.

18 Likes

There’s also an element of manufacturing and supply chain simplification here. We’re always being reminded that Naim’s factory struggles with turning out products given its modest footprint and staffing levels (a side effect of the value of the “Made In England” label). Having to only make one PSU rather than half a dozen is clearly appealing. The fact it costs what it does probably doesn’t figure in the overall strategy. You can embed a lot more internal improvements in to the signal chain when considering OC (Old Classic) vs NC (New Classic) that in many cases negate the necessity for additional PSU’s, less so at least than in the past.

1 Like

Interesting ideas there.

I’m thinking we should expect at least two PSU options. Maybe NPX 200 and NPX 300.

However, it would be nice to see a good - better - best approach. With the entry level as a shoe box size replacement for HC, which could be used in lots of different ongoing ways. For example, with XS3, SN3 and their eventual successor.

I guess the really cool idea is for Naim PSU’s to be universal - with connections - that work up and down their line. Well done for that.

Edit.
A bit more insight into my comments on a successor for show box size HC, going forward.

The HC is one of Naim’s longest standing, most enduring products. Probably one of its most commercially successful too. That is, an entry level PSU. It allows Naim users an entry point and experience into the uplift from a dedicated external PSU.

So, I imagine something that fits into this price point going forward.

1 Like

Just read through that. FWIW, had arrived at some similar conclusions. Plus a few other ideas too.

Just a quick comment, it reads like there might be a lot of love for a higher level integrated (higher than existing SN3). That might be an interesting development.

Yes. Interesting times.

KR
R

1 Like

Where Naim evolve the NAIT is certainly of interest, the current SN3 + NDX 2 is to my mind and ears at least, a real sweet spot in terms of price/performance.

4 Likes

I have to admit, I’m curious about the next Nait also. Its iconic status interests me most out of all of the Naim boxes really, and I do wonder how Naim will take the integrated forward, be it Nait, Supernait or Hypernait. Exciting times ahead.

1 Like

Yes, good point. The factory was certainly packed to the gills on the forum factory visit just before the new NP800 based streamers were released back in 2018.

1 Like

The 250 is one of What Hi-Fi’s stars of the CES show…

3 Likes

I’m reminded of a nice phrase…
If it aint broke. Don’t fix it. :flushed:

I would be pretty sure SN3 is one of Naim’s best selling products. Maybe XS3 too.

So, my guess would be we see these products to continue. In one form or another.

Albeit, improved SQ over time, and adapting specifications to meet future evolving needs. In order to remain competitive, etc.

KR
R

2 Likes

Did naim even attend the CES show? A friend tried to find them but couldn’t.

They’ll get to those products eventually as they migrate the portfolio and likely significantly simplify it.
By the time they get to the 500 Series they’ll probably have developed a new Statement and the existing one can replace
the 500 Series.
They’ll need to do a refresh on the NP800 digital subsystem at some point, I’d expect within the next 5 years.
I expect when 200/300 Series digital sources appear they will include that digital refresh. The 222 uses existing technology and components to that end, they’ve just engineered those festures to a different price point and done so driven by time to market constraints, it’s good enough for the target market essentially.
Sorting out the PSU’s and analogue stuff first makes sense. The 222 they needed to do to keep relevant with the rest of the market and satisfy the legacy 272 install base who’ve been sat getting covered in cobwebs waiting for it to appear for years.
The NAP 250 stands out as being the most exciting product of the three and one that can function across many system configurations with relative ease.

5 Likes

Long but interesting thread. New series sounds great and as discussed 300 range likely later. As a former 272 owner I very much like the smaller box count idea. My concern is how second hand prices are affected particularly obsolete kit like the 252/Supercap. To maintain existing equipment like ndx2, 555ps, 300dr need to buy intermediate cables. Frankly my thought would be to trade in whole system and go for 200 system whilst resale values are reasonable. Possibly see what dealers are saying over the next few months

1 Like

I would say yes, a bare 222 should be better than a 272/555 but of course I have not tried it.

I did have a 272/555 and thought it was great, but out of curiosity I borrowed a modern DAC and fed it’s analogue output into the 272/555 (so this was just acting as a preamp), and I was blown away with the uplift in SQ. I’d be pretty sure that the 222 streamer/ DAC implementation is way ahead of the 272, and even adding a 555 wouldn’t close the gap significantly. But you would have to try for yourself of course.

3 Likes

One have to add to the calculation that boxes bought new will loose its value much more than the drop of the classic series likely will be. All classic boxes be it 555PSDR, NDX2, 250DR is on the second handed market around half of it’s new value. Purchasing new is IMO always the most expensive alternative long term if you are not getting the end game. I guess those are rather few :wink:

2 Likes

Sure
That’s the way I see it too…

500 series is safe for now
So too the Si and XS series
And separate streamers (ND5 XS2 & NDX2) will continue

Short term, next 12-18 months: Introduction of new Classic line.
Medium term, 3-5 years : Eventually, next iteration of XS3 and SN3 will see new design treatment and be folded into this new line somehow. Also, the streamers ND5 XS2 and NDX2 too.
Longer term, maybe 5+ years. Then turn to the 500 series with latest goodies and innovations, added at the top end

For now, this is all about Classic evolving to New Classic, which looks to be going into 200 and 300 options.

Several other manufacturing brands have already rationalised their offer and configured into a good - better - best strategy. It’s not a new idea. Just interesting to see what Naim’s approach might be for the next 10-20 years.

Muso + Qb
Uniti
100 ???
Statement

We are witnessing decisions which will be the main stay of their product line up for a while.