The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I’m sure that was just to wind you up. :joy:

1 Like

I’m sure it was as well, but I don’t care.

1 Like

That’s the spirit, he needs another rabbit hole.

2 Likes

:laughing: :rabbit:

2 Likes

Excellent report, thanks for taking the time to post.

I think your experience aligns with 272/250DR vs NDX2/SN2 comparisons I made several years ago. Neither is a clear leader and I suspect speaker choice (or demand) will decide which system is favoured.

4 Likes

I do some evaluation cycles last year in that respect including various dealer demos. ATC I tried and I also looked at what the Atom HE was capable of as (then) the only streaming preamp option available from Naim as a current/new product.
I may go back and revisit this, mainly for a friend who has a Nova and itch to change their current PMC speakers for something else. In their case, a NSC 222 + active speaker could be just what they’re looking for.
I wasn’t clearly convinced either way of the active speaker route. I think now also with the new NAP 250 that
changes things again when considered into an overall system strategy.
I certainly found the ATC actives very capable and enjoyable speakers, will aim to see if can be auditioned with a 222 pre at some point in the future.
The thread I span up on this topic is here for reference:

1 Like

Naim have always been idiosyncratic though !! :grinning:

Appreciate you taking the time to capture your thoughts and findings. Sounds like you reached similar conclusions to me in terms of interoperability and compatibility and how that may align against a longer term system evolution plan.
I’d be inclined to say unless you have an aging system and a priority on a streaming refresh (like a 272/250 system) or a Uniti one box and desire/budget to upgrade, you’re better off enjoying where you already are and waiting to see what else fills out the new ranges through 2023. Certainly the new power supplies and NAP’s will now be on a long lifecycle, new NAC’s could be interesting, if you look at what Naim did historically with products like the NAC152XS or NAC202 there could be some jnteresting overlaps between UNITI and NAIT based systems and first steps to NAC/NAP type systems.

3 Likes

I think that it is time that I invest in porcine aviation funds,

2 Likes

Pigs can fly apparently.

2 Likes

Thats an All-in-One priced accordingly.

A shoebox Nait would be amp only, something more alike early Nait 1 and 2, also the late Rega Brio and IO.

1 Like

A 50th Anniversary SNAITment integrated perhaps?
All that pent up demand for a £50k integrated should be suitably addressed.

That would be possible I believe

Each to their own
I sort of hate the blue on Linn and Technics
I find the new white refreshing
Choose several colours by taste would be the only solution

THE most important is the new standby function as its not viable any longer to have to green boxes on 24/7

2 Likes

and a lot second hand boxes out there, more owners to join.
Interesting to follow prices
Guess 272 will be peanuts from now on
250DR probably hold value better

Same here, even I own a SuperUniti, I’d never ever buy one expensive box with both streamer and preamp inside.

So having read everything on this thread and t’other one it seems we have

222 5700.00 replaces 272 3699.00

New Classic 250 5700.00 replaces 250DR 4299.00

NPX300 5700.00 replaces what?

Are they better than what they replace. Probably but until run in is complete no one can say but indications are that they likely to be.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be that smart to spend 5 years developing something that was worse than the thing it replaced surely?

1 Like

Of course not. I was just summarising this thread and my understanding. My question raised is what does the NPX300 replace?

Supercap hi cap XPS DR I think

2 Likes