The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Richard, many thanks for your efforts as allways!

1 Like

Well, all I can say is that Naim have done a very good job :+1::ok_hand::blush:

6 Likes

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Garydod I just remembered, that I the blowing fuses, was particular to the XPS. The 555 never blew a fuse, but I put this down to the higher rated internal fuse in the 555. I have seen other XPS owners on here with blowing fuses. I changed the XPS for the 555, no more blowing fuses, but more hum. This is when I bought the Excelsior and the hum was reduced to a level that was not noticeable, besides sticking my ear next to the 555 :+1:

2 Likes

Too late to delete that post now Mike :cowboy_hat_face:
Maybe reword it to ā€œEverything I own was at least made down the road in Salisburyā€!
Letā€™s hope things remain as weā€™d all like them to be. Worst case we can all defect to Linn and pay over the odds for the ā€œMade in Scotlandā€ badge on their stuff :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

My guess would be the new NVC-TT external phono option will be available with a separate PSU option too.

So it can be used with Naim legacy systems and other brands.

My hope is such a PSU option might also be used for other equipment. Like a HiCap.

We have to wait and see :wink:

1 Like

Sent an email to my local dealer requesting a comparison
i) between my 202/Hi Cap (instead of my no Naim PSU)/stageline/DSD Dac
ii) NSC222

My Dac and the 222 acting as Roon endpoints, and an LP12 Majik to compare phone stages, will be at least mid Feb, need a couple of DSD digital tracks to compare, I have a small library. I am in no great rush, will be a few weeks before I can make the purchase.

The 222 can be upgraded with the 300 as a minimum, my 250-2, could be upgraded all long term.

You could also use your existing DAC as either a digital or analogue source to the NSC 222.
Out of interest what exactly is your existing DAC?

1 Like

Arghhh. My dealer is giving me much more than I expected on trade for my 250DR so I will be picking up a New Classic 250 this weekend.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting, I thought itā€™d be the opposite right now. Look forward to your opinions.

1 Like

Thereā€™s not as much Naim Gear here in the US so Iā€™m sure that helps. I figured Iā€™d jump now as things could change in the next few months

2 Likes

I think itā€™s the opposite here I believe thereā€™s a bit of unsold stock that the distributor hasnā€™t been able to shift.

2 Likes

Managed to get my first listen of the NSC222 with NPX300 this morning. Power amp was 500DR (wanted 300dr but there wasnā€™t one available) comparison was dCS Bartok straight to the 500. I found the comparison very close, the Bartok more detailed, slightly leaner, the NSC222 somewhat richer tonally, great low end bass control. It seemed a very accomplished product and congratulations to Naim - could happily live with either, decision, decisions.

10 Likes

So true. Guess thereā€™s now a classic 250Dr out in the wild.

That sounds pretty impressive considering the Bartok is double the price of the NSC222.
And I am making this comment as someone who owned a Bartok and currently owns a Rossini APEX.
OBVIOUSLY running through my 552/500 :grin:

Best
Gregg

6 Likes

About 2/3 the price! Still impressive if it gave a good account of itself.

2 Likes

I saw it as Bartok (using itā€™s internal pre) so Ā£15,750 today vs 222/npx300 combined at Ā£11,400. So still a good outcome. Bartok is about to get Apex and a price hike to Ā£19,000 though. Can get an ex demo Bartok for Ā£12,250 so thatā€™s what I really had in mind (and thatā€™s for the headphone edition).

Hold your horses - the jury is still out on this one.
It seems a Canadian dealer has made this claim to two of his customers - however the mothership is denying this.
TBC

1 Like

Hold your horses :joy: I like that. Have a look at Guildford Audioā€™s website.

Nice! Be interested to see how they compare. I look forward to the update!