To 222 or not 222?

Wow I had missed that they were re-releasing the nvc

2 Likes

That came from a comment from Steve (Sells) on another thread which I linked to accordingly.
They clearly had these things in mind when the Solstice Turntable package was designed and released.

1 Like

The revised NVC phono stage was referenced by naim on the New Classic thread. The 8 pin DIN on 222 will power it.

The NVC is mentioned (with model number 3xx) on various UK dealer sites listing New Classics, in name only though - no pictures.

Full NVC 3xx details including image and specs were released on US websites at the same time as 222/300/250. They also indicate the expected release date and USD pricing. Possibly someone was over keen :smiling_face: No surprises really, have a look at Solstice phono.

4 Likes

i have an EAR 912 pre with a wonderfull MC phono board inside, The cart is Lyra Kleos. The amp is 250 dr. They both work very very well together, with a top dynamic and prat, and very nice tones.

1 Like

but not sold separately…

The NVC-TT, (also seen as NVC-331 on some websites) is certainly a curiousity.
It looks to be expected around June time.
Looking at those USD $ prices, my assumption is UK MRRP will be about £3k, (or maybe similar to existing SuperLine @ £2,799)

Steve has said it cannot be powered by the new NXT-300. Fair enough.
It can be powered direct from the NSC222, with the 8 pin DIN arrangement. So, we might assume a similar arrangements will be available on other 200 & 300 pre-amp / control units.

It appears to be Naim’s “New Classic” high quality external phono option, maybe in particular for MC cartridge users.

I think all that can be relied upon?

Steve also said the only other way of powering this high quality external phono, is with the partnering NXT-TT turntable PSU.

That last bit has got me wondering?

How far might we go with speculation…
Is it too far to imagine several components from the Solstice project might also be available separately, such as cartridge and tone arm, as well as the phono unit? Maybe even the PSU, in one form or another?

The bit that I’m really interesting to understand, is if there will be any external power supply option, for use as (1) a NVC-TT PSU upgrade option ; or, (2) at least for powering the NVC-TT, as a stand alone phono solution, first for legacy Naim systems, and second with other brands and turntable solutions?

All speculation?

2 Likes

Not yet, however, It will be made available as a standalone (Non Solstice bundle) phono stage.

2 Likes

Sonos port keeps my n272 up to date

2 Likes

That is the solution and flexibility I was looking for - that is a perfect solution. The NVC TT would also be flexible for upgrades to the pre later up the line!

Thanks - I missed that on the other thread!

2 Likes

You’re welcome, in the thousands of posts I somehow managed to specifically remember that one. It also came out of a discussion of a lower tier power supply in the form of the NPX TT rebranded as the NPX 200 and at around half the price of the NPX 300.

2 Likes

SuperLine is thought to be ending soon?
With NVC-TT assumed to be near replacement, within New Classic, expected maybe June.

Which leads to thoughts about which is better / best, if we have a choice (for a short period)?
In this regards, have you any thoughts or experience, which might be interesting to share?

KR
R

Our 252 can’t power the NVC 3xx.

So for us a Superline, at fire sale price when discontinued, will do!

3 Likes

Doesn’t the 222 use a dedicated rail from the external PSU to power the AUX input? Might be a question for Steve on the other thread. If so, and I suspect it might, then the 300 PSU would be upgrading any connected device directly.

The explanation of how the intelligent halves of the PSU work seemed to imply this might be the case but I don’t think it was spelled out explicitly.

2 Likes

Hmm, not sure it can be a direct feed.

8 pin DIN is feeding 18V, which isn’t provided by NPX (22V analogue).

Looking at the NSC222 case internals there are wires to DIN from a small board at front of case which looks suspiciously like regulators. 18v step down from 22?

2 Likes

Leave one for me please :wink:

2 Likes

There won’t be a lot on the market :slightly_frowning_face:

Many dealers don’t hold Superline due to low demand, the used market has a few.

2 Likes

Mostly joking :slight_smile: Very happy with my current phono stage. Idle minds though :smiley:

Maybe it’s a good idea to replace my NAC N272 / XP5XS combo with the NSC 222 / NPX300 combo if it really sounds better…(time will tell).
But what I do not like is that you cannot buy the new NSC222 without the internal power supply if you are going to use it with an NPX300 external power supply.
In my opinion this is a waste of money and materials…

Making different variations is likely to cost more.

2 Likes

It would really make no sense if a manufacturer forces you to use an additional power supply at this price point. Most people will use the nsc222 without the PSU, and some will think about an upgrade further down the road.

3 Likes