The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

:laughing: You have an excellent eye for detail @Bjorn …I guess that’s why you’re a Naim customer :wink:

6 Likes

@110db. Could you explain more about this, and apologies if its been covered already in this very long thread…

I understand the pre of the 222 is purely analog so is balance control achieved via dsp on the streamer and so not available for the phono input or is via a tap per channel on the volume control ladder ? Will the 222’s method be used on any future pure pre-amp and so require an app to operate or will they have no balance control option.

Thanks

1 Like

Sure, it’s entirely up to you…:man_shrugging:

Like everything.

Personally I would never buy Dan D’Agostino, way too much bling for my taste, but we are all different of course…:innocent:

Hi @Deeg,

NSC 222 Volume control
The left and right volume controls are completely independent. This allows the left/right balance to be set for all inputs at zero loss of sound quality (unlike a separate balance potentiometer or DSP)

The volume control is ‘fly-by-wire’. An ARM chip sends signals to reed-relays, the relays select tappings from a fixed resistor chain. The higher up the chain the louder the signal and the lower down the chain the quieter the signal.

(Reed relays are electrically controlled switches. The switch contacts are hermetically sealed in a glass tube. The control side is galvanically isolated from the signal side)

Being fly by wire also allows inputs to have their respective sensitivities set. e.g. boost MM by 3dB. When an input is selected an ‘off-set’ is added to the master volume level, as is the balance off-set. Balance and input sensitivities settings therefore have zero effect on sound quality.

The ARM also keeps a second master volume setting for headphones. This way there’s no surprises when pulling out the headphones after a loud session.

…yes, this volume control architecture is also used on Statement (pure analogue pre-amp) and will be used on future products.

Cheers
Steve

17 Likes

Thanks for the info steve :+1:

1 Like

How do you know? Have you listened to it?

Give me an example please

I think best to get back on topic here - posts specifically about the new Classic kit. Thanks.

9 Likes

A/B comparisons may reveal differences but IME you won’t be able to realise the whole picture. A far more useful test is to live with both sets of equipment and then decide which is the one you prefer.

Also I wouldn’t say a 552 ‘blows’ a 282 away. Not having owned the 282 but I’ve owned the 82 which I had paired with nap 300 which was a very entertaining system. The 552 betters the 82, sure. But I always caution hyperbole, I know it’s your opinion but i don’t think it helps the community when they have unrealistic expectations of equipment.

1 Like

I went from 282 /SC to 552 and I concur, there was no “blowing away”.
As I have said previously my Naim SL2 powered by 300DR does blow away my Bluetooth speaker but that’s the extent of blowing away that’s occurred chez Sloop.

.sjb

4 Likes

Curiosity got the better of me so I decided to call into my dealer last Friday and have a listen to the New Classic range. Any comparison or review was made much easier as they were connected to the Neat Orkestra’s which is the same speaker I own.

First off the look, while they do look different they’re not that different that you won’t recognise them anything other than a Naim product. Sitting in a Fraim the new casing is hardy noticeable and the white Naim light that seems to cause so much debate doesn’t look out of place or that bad in my opinion. I could easily live with the new style the only downside for me is the large eliminated volume knob that seems to dominate the NCS 222, I’m not sure I like it or not.

Playing music I was extremely familiar with (Bowie Tears For Fears etc) there was that typical Naim prat with great detail clarity and bass. The soundstage that others had mentioned wasn’t that spectacular imo but it wasn’t a problem either as everything just seem to jell. If I was to walk in off the street without any prior knowledge of Naim I’d be totally impressed and more than likely walk out with the lot that is if it wasn’t for the $41k price tag - without speakers. That kind of money might have me looking for options that maybe better value.

Now the big question would I swap my 250DR/252/SC DR/NDX2/XPS DR ?- no. In my opinion it lacked the wow bang and focus of my existing combo and at best it’d probably be a sideways move. However I do still like the simplicity of a 3 box set up.

This all bodes well for any 3 series or above however as mentioned in other threads the cost will more than likely make it difficult for most here in the colonies to upgrade and makes it even harder to get that first system based on separates, shame.

On the plus side it certainly proved convenient that I was at Harry’s that day as I helped him sell another pair of those wonderful Neat Okrestras to a very satisfied customer.

Don’t know who painted the painting on the wall of Harry’s listening room (circa 1994). Probably some struggling artist living in a hippie commune on sourdough cheese and red wine.

47 Likes

Well I did say audio memory is short so the proof is in the payment (rather than the pudding)

Did I buy a 552 ? No

As Naim says source first and I maxed out my source which means I am happy to stay at 282 level

Even my 202/200 keeps me musically very happy

But just don’t listen to a 552 in a direct comparison with the lesser preamps… there is a reason why it was the top naim preamp

Still though… I have not bought one and have no plans to do so in the near future.

Go figure

What I mean is not everything in life has to be purchased when it’s not in the budget

I can admire a Ferrari from far but I do not need to own one

The 282/HC is very good value and performance at that money level and I enjoy it daily

16 Likes

Looks like they could move the painting along the wall and then slot another painting in, sales opportunitity for the struggling artist :thinking::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Good thinking I’ll ring him tomorrow. There were 2 originally but I have no idea where the 2nd is. Someone on the forum is using it as their id I think.

2 Likes

You should have offered a swap for the new classic stuff :+1:

3 Likes

If I thought it was better I might have but at this stage I’d say it’s different. The truth is these types of listening comparisons are always pretty subjective imo.

1 Like

I meant a swap for some paintings :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ah sorry, I’ve got more Naim boxes than I know what to do with I’ll take the cash any time. :rofl::rofl:

I could just imagine the trouble I’d be in if I arrived home with more, I’d be better off bringing some beans home. :grin:

1 Like