The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Remains so four months in :+1:

3 Likes

@110dB Are the display same on NDX2, they are little smaller than NSC 222, 5 inches I believe.

Had a new experience today. I went to put the 222/250/300 into standby mode, from the app. Unit’s went into standby, then heard relay latching, unit’s power button fully illuminating and unit’s trying to power up. Unit’s would the go back into standby and then repeat symptoms. I have powered down the whole system and removed mains plug. Hopefully, this is just a software glitch. :crossed_fingers:
Will update.

1 Like

@NoNaim It should be a software glitch as I have experienced the same behavior from time to time. I have already informed Naim support, but it’s very difficult to reproduce, so we still don’t have a solution yet. Please contact Naim Support so that they can investigate further. In the meantime, I’m leaving everything on. @110dB is already aware of my case.

If you want, we can share information about the system configuration, it could be useful to find commonalities and try to reproduce and identify the causes of the problem: you can send me an email adding “andrea” to the domain you see in my profile.

I have had similar experiences with my Nova when it was on wifi (an issue I think caused by it being undecided whether to connect to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz). I realise that you will probably be on ethernet but I thought I would throw it out there as the symptoms sound identical.

1 Like

Well, all is well again this morning, after leaving fully powered down for the night. Having worked in electronics/software all my working life, I know how difficult these problems can be difficult to nail down. Especially more so, when intermittent. I do not know, if on Naim equipment the logs are wiped with cold reboot. If not, and @110dB or someone from Naim wants to contact, then I will be glad to assist. :blush:

Yes, same LCD with LED backlight technology on the colour screen streamers (NDX2 and ND 555)

1 Like

Hello @PeterJersey and welcome to the madness :smile:

Something not right here. Naim integrates wonderfully with Roon Core - they’re fully ‘Roon Ready’ and have been for quite some time now. What Roon server are you using?

Am considering changing my Linn Klimax DSM3 and Klimax Twin for the NSC222, NPX300 and NAP 250 and wonder if this is the right thing to do.

Overall I am happy with my system but feel am slightly missing mid bass.

I would welcome any advice.

What loudspeakers do you have? A slight lack of midbass would point me first in direction of speaker room integration and not a full replacement of the hifi rig.

Sometimes people want a change and that’s just fine though.

3 Likes

Spendor D7.2

1 Like

I am not at all familiar with the sound of the Linn kit, but those Spendors really do not lack mid range bass. I also have found Spendor to work well with Naim. I think you really deserve to listen what this new range can do with those D7.2’s.

1 Like

Linn SMPS amps have always had a ‘dry’ and grey sound to them and this may be where problem lies. However, Klimax DSM3 (assuming it has Organik DAC) likely to be much better than NSC222. Why don’t you audition your DSM3 with 250 and see what happens? If it doesn’t work out then you can always go on to 222/300. ATB

6 Likes

Those Spendor’s are unforgiving of source gear and amps - you’ll hear exactly what they’re doing. Any slight dryness/leanness will be exposed.

Naim are likely a bit warmer on the electronics side, but you’d have to audition really given the sums involved.

1 Like

Changing the Linn Twin for the new 250.3 may work…I have demoed both options and the Naim new classic 250 worked very well with the DSM… far ahead soundwise than the Linn Twin (which is prob due for replacement anytime soon).

Good luck.

2 Likes

I have Spendor D9 with NAP 250 DR. I don’t know if it helps but they sound absolutely stunning. Sources are NDS/555 PS DR and Goldnote Mediterraneo record player. No thinness or other things lacking in midband.

1 Like

Agree. New 250 driving Dynaudio Contour 30i. It’s a special amp. Real punch and control. Super happy with mine.

That’s true of all 250’s - not just the 250.3 - IMO… :expressionless:

5 Likes

Wouldn’t disagree having owned them all at one point or another. That said, the new variation …. 300DR territory. Wow. Seriously good.

1 Like

I was going to write…

All 250’s are equal, but some are more equal than others… :pig: :pig2:

2 Likes