The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Keen to see how the 250NC integrates with my new 282/HC (which is going nowhere ever!)

1 Like

And nothing about supernait 5?!
Pity…

Or you you’d simply be at a lower level than you are now. It’s not like everyone buying new is going 500/statement only.

1 Like

I have to say that the components can be put aside the green logo series, this is a smart choice for all of us :smile:

1 Like

Mmm which cables between N222 and my ATC SCM40a , currently the feed from N272/555 uses some made up din to XLR.
what a shame Cymbiosis is just about within my long run distance away

NSC 222 has our latest headphone amplifier circuit. First used in the Atom HE and was designed for a conceptual 500 series product.

Atom HE was specifically for headphones and as such supported more headphone sockets and a headphone toggle button. NSC 222 has one socket and no button, we choose the leading socket; 1/4 inch.

A balanced connection for headphones is not needed for long cables. An amplifier tolerant of more complex loads is needed, e.g. longer cables = more capacitance/inductance. The new circuit will drive very long headphone cables.

Balanced headphone connection removes the common ground connection.

2 Likes

I suspect the benefits of a Streamer+Pre with each part benefiting from a separate PS are greater than those of a Streamer + Pre with one separate PS

Thank you @Richard.Dane or whoever from Naim corrected this.

Much better.

20 Likes

The volume knob is fly by wire (digitally controlled analogue)

Volume is controlled using reed relays and fixed resistors.
Expensive but has great sound quality and excellent channel balanced.

6 Likes

I kinda hope there’s a lower price PSU in the wings. The NPX-300 is quite a chunk of money if it’s required for any dedicated pre amp lining up. The NPX-TT might be the form factor?

It does seem like we now have 4 PSU/control connection types, the Type 1 and Type 2 from the NPX-TT and Type 3 and 4 from the NPX-300.

npx 300 cannot be used for pre amp only like 282 or 252, let’s see if there will be further psu or all new pre that will come will have internal psu

2 Likes

Not me, but welcome all the same.

1 Like

Logic would suggest a good - better - best approach
So maybe three options…

Leading to speculation of price points, maybe like c.£2k - c.£4k - £5.7k

Edit : Agree about NPX-TT. That form factor might be the entry level option.

1 Like

Is the white ring on the knob a light or a pigment and if a light can it be set to off?

1 Like

Sounds really good. Thanks for clarifying!

Just a word (or two) of appreciation here for the generous and open input to this thread from @Stevesky and @110dB not to mention our Glorious Lieder ™ @Richard.Dane

It makes me feel the “Classic” Naim Ethos is alive and well… :grinning:

29 Likes

Thank you for replying @110dB.

As for the supposed SQ improvement when not using the same ground is that true?

Purely from a headphone perspective would the 222 equal or outperform the Atom HE on the same pair of headphone is the headphone are connected to the HE using XLR?

It is space, and simplicity.

The 1/4 inch is the most popular connection for headphones that are commensurate with 222.

Atom HE has many sockets for the headphone enthusiast with more than one pair of headphones. And they can leave them plugged in and press the toggle button.

222 we expect the user to have one lovely pair of headphones. We also expect they will be removed when not being used.

2 Likes

Blimey this is a long thread!

However yes, when i got my email yesterday, I figured they’d let the kids have a play…

1 Like

Definitely seconded. It’s great to have factory input on this thread (and other threads). Also great to hear how much they’ve been looking forward to talking about the new products!

4 Likes