The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

How is the new 250 “sixth-generation” ? From the product history page I counted only 4 previous models :sweat_smile:

You could make up a pseudo balanced cable here, but not sure whether recommended or offered by Naim.

Well that requires a proper demo and even then I wonder whether there will be a conclusion.

1 Like

I presume

Bolt Down
Chrome Bumper
Olive
250.2 Classic
250 DR
250 New Classic

8 Likes

I currently connect my 272bto ATC 40 actives, single ended to balanced in, i presume, exactly the same manner being suggested here. Sounds great…

3 Likes

IMHO the NSC 222 as an upgrade to Atom HE is worthy even without the NPX 300.

Depending upon where you are your dealer may have kit already for you to demo.

4 Likes

At least the “when’s the successor to the N272 coming out” speculation is finally over! :grin:

And I’m not sure about the hand-wringing over the backwards compatibility of the new power amp with the classic pre-amps. There are SO MANY options for those preamps – a wealth of 250, 250DR boxes on the gently used market, that if someone who owns one of those classic preamps hasn’t bought an amp already, there remain options. If I understand the issue, that is . . .

2 Likes

That’s good to know. Is that with a Naim supplied cable or after market?

Yes, the challenge for Naim here will be to avoid long waits for product. Much of this is down to supply chains, which have become very challenging, but also Naim’s capacity is ultimately limited by the physical constraints of the factory itself - Naim can’t expand where they are as the area is increasingly residential. Space was feeling tight 13 years ago when Naim was selling half as much, and I know that both Trevor and Charlie did much to try to maximise the use of the space available in more recent years, but on my most recent visit you could tell that there’s probably not much more that can be done to make the site more efficient in use of space than it already is. It will be interesting to see how this solved, both in the short term and longer into the future.

2 Likes

I think that the NC250 is compatible with both. Looking at the wiring chart on Signals, it has options for both HCDR and SCDR, which is the critical component as both preamps connect to the power amp via their power supply…

1 Like

Yes, the new NAP 250 is compatible with all previous Naim pre-amps (202/282/252 etc). A legacy lead will be needed (4 pin DIN to XLR pair in this case)

The NAP 250 has a dimming button on the rear. It also has a music sensing override switch on the rear.

6 Likes

I’ll think I’ll be staying with my ND5XS2/XS3 for a while longer but as always good to see Naim pushing things forward and they look like great products.

One observation though is that, for me and I imagine for many living in average-sized modern houses, the NAP250 is complete overkill. Would be good to see smaller, less powerful power amps available if the streamer/pre-amp box is to become the norm.

Something like a new high quality half-sized NAP100?

Steve

9 Likes

With that kind of attention to detail I could swear you are a sub-editor on the Sunday Times!

3 Likes

It’s about high quality, refined sound. The NAP250 isn’t particularly powerful anyway but has the ability to 'drive, or ‘control’ a speaker properly.

4 Likes

For Japan we need a special 100V transformer and recertification.

We design the 230V PSUs to do 220V-10% to 240V+10%
i.e. euro -10%, old UK +10% (=198V to 264V)

115V is the same transformer but with the dual primary wired in parallel instead of series. i.e. just divide the numbers by 2 (= 99V to 132V)

So fine at 100V, performance may be lost at 100V-10% i.e. 90V

Marketing will announce 100V regions when available.

Sorry this is a quick answer.

4 Likes

That answers my question, because I currently use 115v models with our nominal 100v mains (which measures 103v) and in 8 years have never had an issue.

1 Like

Yes, for the new NAP250 it is how it drives crossover dips so music flow effortlessly. In 1ohm it’s about 780W into 1Ω (1kHz 1mS)

Also the current drive of +/-28 amps.

9 Likes

Can you connect the NSC222 to naitXS2? A great job Naim has done with the ner classic line.

This is possible and good for an interim. For best results use a power amp.

Two volume controls is a little messy visually and ergonomically. Can use NSC 222 into the Nait XS2 and set the Nait XS to AV bypass mode (or remove the pre-amp to power amp link plug and go direct into the PA stage).

2 Likes

Probably not, at least not from a Marketing/sales pov. See how much hype this creates? Not just here, there will be reviews in magazines etc. And magazines will probably choose to review only one device/range at a time.

By spreading it over multiple releases you get this a few times instead of it all being over at once. And the magazine that now reviewed this will possibly also ask to review the new releases six months (or whatever it is) down the line.

3 Likes